Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio Drain Clogged

Hi,
    I am trying to figure out whether I should try to unclog a patio drain or abandon the pipe and run a new one.

The drain is in an upstairs patio and the pipe runs inside the structure, beneath the flooring and down the inside of the corner pillar.

I think there's a rock or other masonry debris in the drain right at the first elbow.

Can I use one of them-there water-pressure thingies to try to back-flush the pipe? It would have to travel a good 25 feet.

Thanks,
    Pat
    If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Re: Patio Drain Clogged

you could try a blow bag, but make sure you don't blow the pipe apart.

the blow bag can generate the line pressure of approx. 60#.

waste lines are only required to hold 5#. and that's new pipe.

can you snake backwards?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

You can have the line inspected with a camera to find out whats wrong with/in the pipe. Depending on what is found you can make a determination from there on what to do next.

Comment

I finally finished the job. What I ended up doing was accessing the pipe from beneath the patio and replacing the first elbow.

It was full of a hardened tar-like substance. The job ended up to be simple and I didn't have to abandon the rest of the pipe. Just re-stucco the hole and it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          you could try a blow bag, but make sure you don't blow the pipe apart.

the blow bag can generate the line pressure of approx. 60#.

waste lines are only required to hold 5#. and that's new pipe.

can you snake backwards?

rick.
          Yes, I did try the blow bag. What happened was that the bladder crept up out of the hole and split before my helper could get the water turned off. And, after I found out that it was that hard tarry substance in the elbow, I saw why. I have a feeling that substance was from an ex-tenant who was doing automotive speaker installations. Several people were doing that when I first moved here. They got mastic everywhere.

I'm glad I decided to just replace the elbow. I flushed the rest of the pipe and it ran clear.

Comment

Working...
          X