Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSEP500 sewage pump switch problems

OK,
    Recently the old sewage pump that I had failed and I replaced it with a ssep500 sewage pump with the electronic level switch.
    The problem seems to be that the electronic switch does not sense the level correctly and does not shut off when the level drops.
    At first I though there was a problem with the switch so I actually removed the first pump and returned it to the retailer for another pump of the same type.
    The replacement started doing the same thing after a few days.
    When I discover the pump not shutting off, I checked that the level was clear. It has a slight film but nothing unusual seeing as it is in a black water sump.
    If I unplug it and wait a minute or so, the switch seems to work properly for a short time. But then it will again not since the water level has dropped and again keep running.
    I have had problems with level switches in the past and was looking forward to having a reliable lift pump, but now it appears that this switch must have some problems that will cause it to not work in my situation.

Re: SSEP500 sewage pump switch problems

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nothing more reliable than a tethered float switch with a piggy-back plug. Easy to manually operate the pump if the switch fails and the switch can be replaced independently of the pump.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

E Z BEANS ,I know a guy with a leaky Rooter foot bulb ,It'll keep the little lady busy
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm rather disappointed to say the least.
        I always thought that ridgid tools were top quality professional grade and that anything they sold would be worth the premium price that was charged.
        However it appears that the sump pump I purchased is not suitable for that task.
        Your telling me that the pump that is sold saying that it is a Sewage Pump is not good for being used in that way.
        So far my experience with this pump is that the electronic level sensor acts as if the water level is high if even so much as a light film of crud forms on the sensor.
        Since this is a SUMP pump in a black water pit, keeping the sensor clean means twice weekly sessions of cleaning the sensor with a paper towel.
        So far the Ridgid tech support has been less then helpful. It really seems to me that the sensor they have matched to the pump is way to sensitive, I have had two defective ones in a row, or is really not suited to this task.

Comment

I have the same type of switch on my ridgid pump and I am having the same problem. I just had it happen tonight again. Solved it by unplugging the pump, flushing the toilet 4 times, letting it sit for 15 minutes, and plugging the pump back in. It is fine now, probably won't be tomorrow again.

I don't think of Ridgid as a high end tool, but for the $300 I paid for the thing, you'd think it wouldn't have this problem.

I think I should have gone with a Zoeller pump. I believe that's what most plumbers would recommend.

Does anyone know if you can change the switch on this pump to a float switch?

Comment

I just went on my first emergency service call on a pump that would not shut off. It was a Wayne pump, but the same type of electronic float switch. The customer purchased the pump in the end of July, had another plumber out there in October to clean the switch, and then me coming out there last night. The troubleshooting guide even said not to let debris in the tank, as it may make the switch give false readings. Where do they think people are going to put these pumps? His $300 pump was quickly beginning to cost him quite a bit more. Anyways, replaced the electronic switch with a tethered float and he will have years of trouble-free service. If the pump has two wires coming from it that piggy-back into one another at the plug, then very easy to convert. If not, good luck, might consider buying a squeegee.

Comment

Is there a tethered float switch you'd recommend? There is one cord for the switch and one for the pump for my setup. I saw that home depot has one online - are they usually all about the same? I'm not really looking forward to changing it out by I'd rather do that than deal with it turning on all the time when there's no "water" to pump...

Comment

I would not purchase this switch from Home Depot. Find a locally owned plumbing store or hardware and there will be someone there who will be more than glad to sell you just what you need. Just make sure there is enough room and the switch is adjusted properly so it does hit on the side wall of the tank, incoming lines, or the pump itself, keeping it from turning on or shutting off properly. Expect to spend between $30 and $40.

Comment

Had an awful plumber-in-an-hour install one of these for me about a month ago (entertaining story there) and yesterday it got into the "won't shut off" cycle -- runs, shuts off for a second, then runs again, etc. until I unplug it. The pump itself is fine, so it's just the switch.

Called tech support, and they said to go in and clean it...so rip up all the sealant I put down to keep the pit sealed up, go in there and clean it. But, as I pointed out -- if this happened already after just a few weeks, is this going to be my life with this pump. At that, he offered to send out a traditional float switch! That tells me they've gotten enough complaints about this switch that they're starting to focus more on preserving customer relationships.

So folks might just ask if they can send out a float switch -- and really, any handyman should be able to install it.

Unfortunately, that means I'm still running the pit manually for a week while I wait for the switch to show up.

So no option but to rip open the pit, clean the switch, and wait for the new one to arrive to replace it.

jh

Comment

I'm not familiar with homeowner versions of this type pump but am familiar with the industrial versions, they sound as if they are similar. We ( the company I used to work for) had many of these type pumps in pits where we had machines that used lots of coolants and had overspray. IF these are the same type sensors they have two or three S.S. rods which depend on liquid/black water touching them to make a connection, am I close on that one? Even though we had the "Industrial" type units we had problems with these sensors and eventually went into a program to change the sensors over to a free-floating blue ball type unit. We tethered the sensor wire to the interior wall of the pit so the float ball could move freely as the liquid levels rose and fell. I can't remember if they were wired directly into the electrical for the pump or not, the electricians handled that end, I had the pit end . We even tried the type that had a rod that traveled up through an arm on a switch above the pit, but fork lifts, and whatever, kept hitting these and damaging them. northern1--I wonder if this type switch would work for you, and could you find an industrial supplier in your area who could help you with it. Thanks, David

Comment

Very disappointed and upset with the new Rigid SSEP500 pump. The old float switch style pump in our home died after 17 years and I replaced it with the new Rigid pump (while knee deep in the yuk). Rigid pump continually cycles and last night my wife complained about the noise so I unplugged it until morning. (Yep now I have a real mess and a 2 week old $350.00 Rigid pump to replace)

Comment

Re: SSEP500 sewage pump problems

I bought a Ridgid SSEP500 at Home Depot 3 months ago because it states that it has a "Lifetime Warranty". The last thing I want to do is open up the lift station to work on it anymore than I have to. It has now stopped working, so I contacted Ridgid Customer Service. Customer Service Representive states that the Warranty is for "manufacturer defects". If the pump worked for 3 months, it isn't covered, as a defect would have shown up sooner, he says. Why is the warranty printed as "Lifetime", if it isn't. Should it be.....30 days? Home Depot says since it's a sewage pump, they can't take it back, for sanitary reasons. I think this is a scam, probably illegal. I will never buy from Ridgid, ever again, and being in the maintenance field, I tell my story to anyone who listens. I also have changed to Lowes for my purchases. They (Ridgid) still sell this pump and there's no parts listing on the Rigid page! It's impossible to purchase a new motor for it! Never again!

Comment

this is an ancient thread.

these pumps are fine, but the level sensing switches are junk. it's a known thing. they tend to cycle excessively and burn the pump up. if you are using one of these, wire around the junk switch and put a float switch in.

it's a bad design and they should stop selling it and warranty existing ones. it's not a mfr defect; it's a DESIGN defect... which in my mind is worse.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X