Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

Originally posted by bryanff View Post
    I'd say closer to 80%. I've only had 1 "professional" ever, that did the job right the first time. He was actually the 3rd person to fix that heating/air problem. A freon line was rubbing. The first two fixed the leak, but left the problem. The third guy from a different company fixed the problem.

My in-laws had a leaky toilet. Plumber charged $85 to adjust the float. Was it his right to charge the full hour's fee for 5 minutes (+ time to travel) for his work? Absolutely!! Some would say if your not bright enough to adjust the float yourself, someone should charge you $85. But I suggested that they never call that company again. He should have just let this one slide and said "I'll cut you a deal, here's my card. If you have anything else, Please don't hesitate to call me. You know I won't rip you off." They have replaced 2 water heaters (upstairs & down), installed 2 whole-house humidifiers and remolded a very expensive guest bathroom scince then. They didn't call him!!!

The question isn't whether the cost of parts are passed to the customer. The question is how quickly the repair can be done (correctly or not) to get to the next job. I can't say I necessarily blame them. Families to feed and all, but for those of us who have been screwed to many times by the "professionals", WE ARE WILLING TO TAKE THE CHANCE to do the job ourselves. After all, if we mess up, at least we did it. We have an excuse. (I also have insurance!!!!!)

I hope this answers everyone's questions as to why "we" don't just call a plumber!

But to a few of you, Thank you for the advice that you did give (bump it, it'll leak, etc). I do know that you guys are plumbers and my opinions don't apply to all plumbers. If I had ran across someone like you before, I probably would have just called the plumber.
    Amazing. People with a house large enough to require two water heaters, two whole house humidifiers, and an very expensive guest bathroom that think an $85.00 service call is too much. Just shocking...no wait...it's absolutely normal.

What's a "Financial Analyst" earn these days to screw everything up with their opinion?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post

1. everyone on this forum is gung ho on doing EVERYTHING the right way.
      AND
      Correct, and thats why we have the right to use the title "Licensed Professional".

2. 99% of people I have met in the field are gung ho on doing EVERYTHING the cheap, quick and easy way. Face it, you guys are among the minority when it comes to construction.
      Incorrect, I am in the field, the people I surround myself with are consummate pros, that's my choice.

This supposed `99%` of people won`t be around in 10 years, doing things the cheap, easy way always comes bak to haunt you. You get out of your work what you put in.
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
        Correct, and thats why we have the right to use the title "Licensed Professional".

Incorrect, I am in the field, the people I surround myself with are consummate pros, that's my choice.

This supposed `99%` of people won`t be around in 10 years, doing things the cheap, easy way always comes bak to haunt you. You get out of your work what you put in.

I agree with you 100%. None of them will be around in ten years, but that doesnt stop them from hacking stuff now. Also, just because someone is license does not mean they will, by default, do good work.

Comment

Also, just because someone is license does not mean they will, by default, do good work.
          True, I`m only speaking for the members of this forum. But a very typical thing for an un-licensed person to say.

Comment

I agree with you 100%. None of them will be around in ten years, but that doesnt stop them from hacking stuff now. Also, just because someone is license does not mean they will, by default, do good work.
            Absolutely true. It does mean there is a higher probability that they will do good work however.

J.C.

Comment

True, I`m only speaking for the members of this forum. But a very typical thing for an un-licensed person to say.

Haha, I love how you licensed people like to talk crap about us unlicensed people like we are inferior. I dont have a plumbing license, this is the reason you wont see me plumbing a new house, working on anything that isnt plumbed with PVC, installing any new drain or water lines, or working on a commerical building's plumbing. I could understand if I were claiming to know as much or close to as much as a license plumber. Hell, I get people all the time who ask me if im the plumber when I go to fix stuff, and I always say "no, im not a plumber"...... On that note, Id say about half of licensed plumbers will do a job right and about 1/100th of people who arent licensed would do it right, so dont confuse me with the idiots who come on here and say "why should I call a plumber"

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Absolutely true. It does mean there is a higher probability that they will do good work however.

J.C.
                Very true, but from a homeowners stand point, if they do it themselves at least they know what has been done. While I dont agree with the avoiding calling a licensed person theory, I can easily see where people get it from

Comment

Haha, I love how you licensed people like to talk crap about us unlicensed people like we are inferior. I dont have a plumbing license, this is the reason you wont see me plumbing a new house, working on anything that isnt plumbed with PVC, installing any new drain or water lines, or working on a commerical building's plumbing. I could understand if I were claiming to know as much or close to as much as a license plumber. Hell, I get people all the time who ask me if im the plumber when I go to fix stuff, and I always say "no, im not a plumber"...... On that note, Id say about half of licensed plumbers will do a job right and about 1/100th of people who arent licensed would do it right, so dont confuse me with the idiots who come on here and say "why should I call a plumber"
                  A very typical thing for an un-licensed person to say.

Comment

Very true, but from a homeowners stand point, if they do it themselves at least they know what has been done. While I dont agree with the avoiding calling a licensed person theory, I can easily see where people get it from
                    I do too. I can do just about anything around my own place as well. But for me, I began realizing that I could make as much just doing my job and allowing a pro in another field to handle the work.

That's why I have several electricians, HVAC, etc. in my phone. They can come to my house and do their work while I'm out doing mine. Pretty much cancels the cost and they WILL know details that I'm sure I'll miss.

So I get a better job for the same price.

J.C.

Comment

I`d love to know where you get your stats from. Also, I would never say you are inferior to a licensed person, I don`t know you personally, maybe you do great work. But accredited trades are accredited for a reason. Furthermore people like you really piss me off, not JUST because you are unlicensed, but because you CUT CORNERS by having no insurance, workers compensation, etc, and are able to undercut me because I do it the proper way, and have overhead. Just because you work on PVC, and small plumbing repairs, doesn`t mean you aren`t stealing food off of my table.
                      Last edited by bigPipe09; 01-13-2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        I do too. I can do just about anything around my own place as well. But for me, I began realizing that I could make as much just doing my job and allowing a pro in another field to handle the work.

That's why I have several electricians, HVAC, etc. in my phone. They can come to my house and do their work while I'm out doing mine. Pretty much cancels the cost and they WILL know details that I'm sure I'll miss.

So I get a better job for the same price.

J.C.
                        Ive repaired AC's in the field and ive repaired appliances, but I also have no problem calling my HVAC sub in to work on my house when its over my head. Im my fridge breaks, im calling someone. Hell, I am going to be hiring a plumber to re do the line going to my septic before long. (waiting untill I start a big job comming up in a few months because I will be working alongside a plumber, so hopefully can get a good deal). For the most part though, they dont charge me much becasue they know id do the same for them.

Comment

I`d love to know where you get your stats from. Also, I would never say you are inferior to a licensed person, I don`t know you personally, maybe you do great work. But accredited trades are accredited for a reason. Furthermore people like you really piss me off, not because you are unlicensed, but because you CUT CORNERS by having no insurance, workers compensation, etc, and are able to undercut me because I do it the proper way, and have overhead. Just because you work on PVC, and small plumbing repairs, doesn`t mean you aren`t stealing food off of my table.

I can see where you are comming from, however, the biggest company that I do work for would never hire you. hell, they didnt want to pay the bill that I started this thread about, so why would you expect them to EVER hire you. Not saying you are high, just saying they want someone who "cuts corners". Im not out looking for the work in single family houses because I dont want the liability of it being that I did "cut those corners". There for, I am in no way in competition with you or stealing food from your table.

Comment

I can see where you are comming from, however, the biggest company that I do work for would never hire you. hell, they didnt want to pay the bill that I started this thread about, so why would you expect them to EVER hire you. Not saying you are high, just saying they want someone who "cuts corners". Im not out looking for the work in single family houses because I dont want the liability of it being that I did "cut those corners". There for, I am in no way in competition with you or stealing food from your table.
                            I think it`s pretty obvious we are not in direct competition. I`m in Canada for Christ sakes. But its people LIKE you who are able to undercut a reasonable price from a Licensed, Insured plumber. If there weren`t low-ballers out there, these companies would have no choice but to use a licensed plumber.

Comment

I think it`s pretty obvious we are not in direct competition. I`m in Canada for Christ sakes. But its people LIKE you who are able to undercut a reasonable price from a Licensed, Insured plumber. If there weren`t low-ballers out there, these companies would have no choice but to use a licensed plumber.
                              I didnt mean direct... I am not the kind of person you describe due to the fact that I wont take work for the kind of people you do work for and the people I do take work for would NEVER pay the prices a licensed person would want. If licensed were their only choice they would hire a "handy man" for ten bucks an hour like appartment complexes do.

Comment

The major reason so many of these guys have had bad experiances with tradesmen is because they invariably hire the cheapest one in town. Usually an unlicensed hack and or some guy moonlighting and working out of a Honda Civic with no insurance, inferior tools and no credit and when things go wrong the entire reputable trade has to take the fall out.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X