Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

    Corner-cutting, uninsured handymen hacks everywhere. I don't even blink an eye anymore.
    They don't compete with me, because I have the best tools in the world, I am fully state licensed, I carry a million dollars in liability insurance, I trained for years under licensed master plumbers, and I can diagnose and repair plumbing better than almost anyone. I am a professional plumber. Kiss my *** handyman.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

      Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      Corner-cutting, uninsured handymen hacks everywhere. I don't even blink an eye anymore.
      They don't compete with me, because I have the best tools in the world, I am fully state licensed, I carry a million dollars in liability insurance, I trained for years under licensed master plumbers, and I can diagnose and repair plumbing better than almost anyone. I am a professional plumber. Kiss my *** handyman.
      I think you said it best. People like me are not your competition.

      I understand that most "handymen" are hacks, but it pisses me off that people assume by default that we all are. I have an entire list of Subs that im not affraid to call and use often. If its above my head or im worried about the liability, I wont do it.

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

        Originally posted by marchboom View Post
        Finishing up the basement and have two sinks that need water connections. The original plumber (for the rest of the house - new construction) said that there were 1/4 turn valves made for PEX tubing where I wouldn't need the special (and expensive) crimping tool.

        While at HD, I picked up 4 BrassCraft "push Connect" valves. My question is, how well will these valves hold up as far as leaks go? Would It be better to just get the barbed valve and rent the crimping tool to complete the job?

        Thanks in advance.
        brasscraft is probably the largest, best known maker of stops. i doubt they are going anywhere soon.

        but they have come up with stuff that we as plumbers found out didn't work as they intended.

        how many of us remember the pre 1/4 turn ball valve stop that was a round knob that turned a rubber style insert. the valve had no packing adjustment. sure they worked when new, but down the road when it was time to service the fixture, they either didn't turn, or leaked from the handle with no packing.

        the problem i see is not the valve. it's the fact that these valves are going to be untouched for many years. i fear that when it comes time to rely on them, they might leak.

        the valve will not blow off, but it might drip from the o-ring once it's disturbed from its original position.

        i trust o-rings as they're in almost every plumbing valve stem out there. what i don't trust is the pex tubing staying in it's perfectly round state and the o-ring remaining leak free if disturbed years later.

        the principal is identical to the sharkbite connections. the fittings do work. but then again i have never installed one on pex. and i don't disturb them since they are on a fixed pipe and not a valve that gets stressed down the road.

        good luck with it. i'm sure it will work now, it's years from now i'm concerned with

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

          Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          So are we to infer that your weekly paycheck is negotiable also ?

          I hear this same old crap so many times that by now I should be immune to it but somehow the notion that a service professional actually charging for his time and labor is ripping people off really pisses me off. Yes the plumber should charge 85 bucks to adjust the damn float. He had to travel there, fix the problem, handle the paperwork, pay the IRS, insurance, and everyone else with their hands in his pocket. He can't afford to give it a pass, he has a family to feed and employees that count on a paycheck. The reality is that at 85 dollars an hour the plumber was LOOSING money. Don't believe it? Then start up a plumbing company and see if you can operate for that hourly because the national average is around $ 125.00 an hour. And by the way. The plumber is not some untrained, uneducated hack. He did 4 years and 8000 hours to get his journeymans license. You just don't and never will get it because you have no clue.

          Absolutely, my pay is negotiable! I had an older client come in a few weeks ago that got a letter about some fortune that someone found belonging to her and she needed to send all this information to get it. She brought it to me and I spent well over an hour explaining to her that it was a scam. We didn't charge her for that time because she is a good client. Our time spent keeping her as a client was worth more than the hourly charge!!

          The 8000 hr journeyman's license isn't difficult, either. I spent 7 yrs as an aviation electronics technician in the military, have an 8000 hr National Apprenticeship Electronics Mechanic Journeyman's license and an associates degree as an Electronics Technician. So, nice try. The journeyman's license hours are just tracking your time at work doing your job. I also worked in construction for 5 years while getting bachelor's degrees in both Finance and Business Economics. Where's that clue now?

          Why do you assume that because I am a Financial Analyst that I'm not inteligent enough to know more than just my job?

          P.S. My wife was a waitress for 6 yrs while getting her Master's degree, has more than 8000 hrs of work; where's her National Server's License?

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Amazing. People with a house large enough to require two water heaters, two whole house humidifiers, and an very expensive guest bathroom that think an $85.00 service call is too much. Just shocking...no wait...it's absolutely normal.

            What's a "Financial Analyst" earn these days to screw everything up with their opinion?

            J.C.

            Just because they have money doesn't mean they should just throw it away. It's not the amount, it's the principle. Had that plumber tried to keep their business, he'd made quite a bit more than $85.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

              She needs to sit for the test!

              Whether you're clueless of trades or not, until you actually own a plumbing, electrical, hvac etc. business-it's completely wrong & unfair for you to assume that someone charging $100.00 for a 5 minute service call has charged too much.

              I don't know what a financial analyst in your area with your lifestyle expectations should charge.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

                I'd like to see you sit and take the test for a plumbing license. If its so easy, why do 4 out 5 test-takers fail their first time? Those are the statistics in this state. I know one guy in town that has taken the test 4 times and failed every time. He has years of experience too.
                I suppose you think doctors are overpayed too. Who cares, all they did was sit thorugh school and pass some test, right?
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

                  Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  She needs to sit for the test!

                  Whether you're clueless of trades or not, until you actually own a plumbing, electrical, hvac etc. business-it's completely wrong & unfair for you to assume that someone charging $100.00 for a 5 minute service call has charged too much.

                  I don't know what a financial analyst in your area with your lifestyle expectations should charge.

                  J.C.

                  An investment firm is actually very expensive to run. I'm not the owner, but boy do I hear about it. With all the regulation we go through 30-40% of our time is just meeting regulations and time is money. Plus we have to pay a lot for mock SEC auditing. $22,000 for a lawyer to fly in and do a mock audit for 4 days!!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

                    Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    I'd like to see you sit and take the test for a plumbing license. If its so easy, why do 4 out 5 test-takers fail their first time? Those are the statistics in this state. I know one guy in town that has taken the test 4 times and failed every time. He has years of experience too.
                    I suppose you think doctors are overpayed too. Who cares, all they did was sit thorugh school and pass some test, right?

                    Maybe, they didn't study! Ha!Ha!

                    The hardest part is probably the memorization. I have no doubt there is a lot of information. If it is anything like electrical, you have to memorize what gauges of wire you'd use for a particular length; pulling so many amps, etc., etc. I had to do it too. The part I hated about that, was that all that information was in a little handbook you could look at. There is really no reason to memorize it.

                    I've also had to take a heck of a lot more tests than just that one.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

                      Originally posted by bryanff View Post
                      An investment firm is actually very expensive to run. I'm not the owner, but boy do I hear about it. With all the regulation we go through 30-40% of our time is just meeting regulations and time is money. Plus we have to pay a lot for mock SEC auditing. $22,000 for a lawyer to fly in and do a mock audit for 4 days!!
                      Exactly. Your owners fees must cover everything and everyones expected earnings. I don't know what that is but if it's $100.00 minimum and you're good people will come.

                      The financial analyst down the street may have a $50.00 minimum and not be half as good.

                      For service/tradespeople, we have all the hidden expenses most don't know about but I'm sure you do. On top of that, we actually have to go to the problem with a world of inventory & knowledge even if the problem is minor or takes 10 minutes. Then, dependent upon population concentration & the employee, there may be only 4 to 5 billable hours daily to cover everything. In more densely populated areas companies can probably get towards 7 hours.

                      I think that one time with your folks it rubbed you wrong because the task seemed simple and didn't take long. What if it took the full hour for the same result?

                      You feel your parents didn't get good value for their money even though they got the same result.

                      I for one hope you come back often as all the small business people on here have some sort of financial question sooner or later.

                      Wanna' buy some $100.00 flex connectors?

                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

                        Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        She needs to sit for the test!

                        Whether you're clueless of trades or not, until you actually own a plumbing, electrical, hvac etc. business-it's completely wrong & unfair for you to assume that someone charging $100.00 for a 5 minute service call has charged too much.

                        I don't know what a financial analyst in your area with your lifestyle expectations should charge.

                        J.C.

                        I'm not sure what you meant by "your lifestyle expectations". The $85 plumber I talked about were at my in-laws. I hav a 13,700 ft^2 house. Not big by any means and I'm fixing it up. Not to flip it, but for my family to live in. Most of you probably have bigger houses than I do. We looked at bigger houses but neither me nor my wife wanted to clean them.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

                          Originally posted by bryanff View Post
                          I'm not sure what you meant by "your lifestyle expectations". The $85 plumber I talked about were at my in-laws. I hav a 13,700 ft^2 house. Not big by any means and I'm fixing it up. Not to flip it, but for my family to live in. Most of you probably have bigger houses than I do. We looked at bigger houses but neither me nor my wife wanted to clean them.
                          I hope you don't mean 13,700 square foot house!?!?! That's huge to me.

                          Lifestyle expectations means nothing more than what any person expects for themselves. And there is no wrong answer to the expectation or dollar value. You're expectations salary wise might be 5, 6, or 7 figures.

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

                            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Exactly. Your owners fees must cover everything and everyones expected earnings. I don't know what that is but if it's $100.00 minimum and you're good people will come.

                            The financial analyst down the street may have a $50.00 minimum and not be half as good.

                            For service/tradespeople, we have all the hidden expenses most don't know about but I'm sure you do. On top of that, we actually have to go to the problem with a world of inventory & knowledge even if the problem is minor or takes 10 minutes. Then, dependent upon population concentration & the employee, there may be only 4 to 5 billable hours daily to cover everything. In more densely populated areas companies can probably get towards 7 hours.

                            I think that one time with your folks it rubbed you wrong because the task seemed simple and didn't take long. What if it took the full hour for the same result?

                            You feel your parents didn't get good value for their money even though they got the same result.

                            I for one hope you come back often as all the small business people on here have some sort of financial question sooner or later.

                            Wanna' buy some $100.00 flex connectors?

                            J.C.
                            I understand covering your expenses, but don't you think getting loyal customers are better for you in the long run. The company that fixed my heating/air con problem will absolutely get every bit of my business.

                            I typically don't hire the cheapest pro. To be honest, I just look through the phone book and find someone that I recogonize from their commercials. I don't know if this is true or not, but you'd think if they could pay for the expensive commercials and publishing spot they most likely have a fairly large customer base (at least if they've been in business for awhile).

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

                              JCsPlumbing

                              Thanks for the conversation. I think I'm calling it a night.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

                                Originally posted by bryanff View Post
                                I understand covering your expenses, but don't you think getting loyal customers are better for you in the long run. The company that fixed my heating/air con problem will absolutely get every bit of my business.

                                I typically don't hire the cheapest pro. To be honest, I just look through the phone book and find someone that I recogonize from their commercials. I don't know if this is true or not, but you'd think if they could pay for the expensive commercials and publishing spot they most likely have a fairly large customer base (at least if they've been in business for awhile).
                                For my area I usually find this method is not one of the best to hire professionals. Usually word of mouth can be much better. Areas do differ though.

                                In my area the larger companies usually hold 1 license and will send out anybody to represent them without the customers knowing anything different. Alot of them I would not let in my house.

                                Getting loyal customers is absolutely important to me for longterm success. But that doesn't necessarily mean a significant discount should be given. Because the insurance, gas, electrical, companies don't do much for me and my loyalty. In short, my outgoing is pretty much always increasing.

                                J.C.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X