Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

Finishing up the basement and have two sinks that need water connections. The original plumber (for the rest of the house - new construction) said that there were 1/4 turn valves made for PEX tubing where I wouldn't need the special (and expensive) crimping tool.

While at HD, I picked up 4 BrassCraft "push Connect" valves. My question is, how well will these valves hold up as far as leaks go? Would It be better to just get the barbed valve and rent the crimping tool to complete the job?

Thanks in advance.

Re: BrassCraft "Push Connect" 1/4-turn valves?

Why not just call your plumber? Why risk flooding your house over something so small? I could never understand this mentality.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Marchboom,

I would also like to try theses water stops by Brasscraft. How much did they cost you? Got 'em at HomeDepot, right? If you did use them, How well did they work?

I have used a slip-on style faucet in a tub where there was a threaded coupling with an o-ring and set screw. It has worked fine, but it is also not under constant pressure like the BrassCraft stop would be. I would suggest to use some o-ring lube when putting it on to keep from tearing/gouging the o-rings.

Comment

I'm gonna go ahead and say they will not hold up as well as a crimp connection...

Why even ask after you already bought them? I would go ahead and install them since your plumber said...

Service guy: Everyone wants to save a buck and never believes it will happen to them... I get one of these a week and I'm sure you do as well all we can do is charge accordingly when we have to go clean up the mess from a DIY'er ....

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          Why not just call your plumber? Why risk flooding your house over something so small? I could never understand this mentality.

The plumbing is easy, save a buck, house flipper , plumbers charge to much, I don't see why they need a license anyway, If home Depot sells it it must be ok for me to use, I saw a picture on the internet, My timelife plumbing book said to do it this way..... The list goes on

I do not understand it as well though I will never underestimate the power of human stupidity

Comment

Crap, crap crappity crap.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marchboom View Post
              Finishing up the basement and have two sinks that need water connections. The original plumber (for the rest of the house - new construction) said that there were 1/4 turn valves made for PEX tubing where I wouldn't need the special (and expensive) crimping tool.

While at HD, I picked up 4 BrassCraft "push Connect" valves. My question is, how well will these valves hold up as far as leaks go? Would It be better to just get the barbed valve and rent the crimping tool to complete the job?

Thanks in advance.
              I've done service calls where if you move them slightly, the get a small drip. yeah, they are older ones......bit I don't care for um....I say compression style is always best.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                The plumbing is easy, save a buck, house flipper , plumbers charge to much, I don't see why they need a license anyway, If home Depot sells it it must be ok for me to use, I saw a picture on the internet, My timelife plumbing book said to do it this way..... The list goes on

I do not understand it as well though I will never underestimate the power of human stupidity

Im not argueing with you, but not everyone cares like most of the plumbers on here do. There is a 9 outa 10 chance that if he calls a licensed plumber the plumber is just going to use the push one ones as well. Sure, the right way is crimping, but my experience has been this...

1. everyone on this forum is gung ho on doing EVERYTHING the right way.
                AND
                2. 99% of people I have met in the field are gung ho on doing EVERYTHING the cheap, quick and easy way. Face it, you guys are among the minority when it comes to construction.

Comment

On another note, I have seen several crimped on connections fly off. Granted they werent crimped good, but they still failed.

Comment

I'd say closer to 1 in 100. Most of us are not intrested in doing hack work and since we pass the cost along, we're not interested in using crap parts and fixtures. It always comes back to bite you in the ***.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Crap, crap crappity crap.
                      Hack, Hack Hackity Hack!

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        I'd say closer to 1 in 100. Most of us are not intrested in doing hack work and since we pass the cost along, we're not interested in using crap parts and fixtures.
                        I'd say closer to 80%. I've only had 1 "professional" ever, that did the job right the first time. He was actually the 3rd person to fix that heating/air problem. A freon line was rubbing. The first two fixed the leak, but left the problem. The third guy from a different company fixed the problem.

My in-laws had a leaky toilet. Plumber charged $85 to adjust the float. Was it his right to charge the full hour's fee for 5 minutes (+ time to travel) for his work? Absolutely!! Some would say if your not bright enough to adjust the float yourself, someone should charge you $85. But I suggested that they never call that company again. He should have just let this one slide and said "I'll cut you a deal, here's my card. If you have anything else, Please don't hesitate to call me. You know I won't rip you off." They have replaced 2 water heaters (upstairs & down), installed 2 whole-house humidifiers and remolded a very expensive guest bathroom scince then. They didn't call him!!!

The question isn't whether the cost of parts are passed to the customer. The question is how quickly the repair can be done (correctly or not) to get to the next job. I can't say I necessarily blame them. Families to feed and all, but for those of us who have been screwed to many times by the "professionals", WE ARE WILLING TO TAKE THE CHANCE to do the job ourselves. After all, if we mess up, at least we did it. We have an excuse. (I also have insurance!!!!!)

I hope this answers everyone's questions as to why "we" don't just call a plumber!

But to a few of you, Thank you for the advice that you did give (bump it, it'll leak, etc). I do know that you guys are plumbers and my opinions don't apply to all plumbers. If I had ran across someone like you before, I probably would have just called the plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanff View Post
                          I'd say closer to 80%. I've only had 1 "professional" ever, that did the job right the first time. He was actually the 3rd person to fix that heating/air problem. A freon line was rubbing. The first two fixed the leak, but left the problem. The third guy from a different company fixed the problem.

My in-laws had a leaky toilet. Plumber charged $85 to adjust the float. Was it his right to charge the full hour's fee for 5 minutes (+ time to travel) for his work? Absolutely!! Some would say if your not bright enough to adjust the float yourself, someone should charge you $85. But I suggested that they never call that company again. He should have just let this one slide and said "I'll cut you a deal, here's my card. If you have anything else, Please don't hesitate to call me. You know I won't rip you off." They have replaced 2 water heaters (upstairs & down), installed 2 whole-house humidifiers and remolded a very expensive guest bathroom scince then. They didn't call him!!!

The question isn't whether the cost of parts are passed to the customer. The question is how quickly the repair can be done (correctly or not) to get to the next job. I can't say I necessarily blame them. Families to feed and all, but for those of us who have been screwed to many times by the "professionals", WE ARE WILLING TO TAKE THE CHANCE to do the job ourselves. After all, if we mess up, at least we did it. We have an excuse. (I also have insurance!!!!!)

I hope this answers everyone's questions as to why "we" don't just call a plumber!

But to a few of you, Thank you for the advice that you did give (bump it, it'll leak, etc). I do know that you guys are plumbers and my opinions don't apply to all plumbers. If I had ran across someone like you before, I probably would have just called the plumber.
                          You want to do it yourself fine... who are we or anyone to stop you. But since you have the choice between a compression angle stop and this peice of crap plastic one, go with the compression, it is only going to take a few more minutes to install than the plastic one and the average homeowner should have no problem installing it. ANY PROFFESSIONAL That would install such a piece of crap though shall be flogged with a runner by NHMaster and Duckbutter

Comment

OOhhhhhhh nasty, but compression angle stop it is!

Comment

Originally posted by bryanff View Post

So are we to infer that your weekly paycheck is negotiable also ?

I hear this same old crap so many times that by now I should be immune to it but somehow the notion that a service professional actually charging for his time and labor is ripping people off really pisses me off. Yes the plumber should charge 85 bucks to adjust the damn float. He had to travel there, fix the problem, handle the paperwork, pay the IRS, insurance, and everyone else with their hands in his pocket. He can't afford to give it a pass, he has a family to feed and employees that count on a paycheck. The reality is that at 85 dollars an hour the plumber was LOOSING money. Don't believe it? Then start up a plumbing company and see if you can operate for that hourly because the national average is around $ 125.00 an hour. And by the way. The plumber is not some untrained, uneducated hack. He did 4 years and 8000 hours to get his journeymans license. You just don't and never will get it because you have no clue.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X