X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I use??

I am going to be plumbing a sink in my shop sometime in the next few days. my water source is on the front left corner of the shop (under ground 3/4in PVC). I am going to trench from the front corner to the back and bury 3/4in PVC to the back corner. When it gets to the back corner I am going to run it inside the shop via a hole in the exterior wall and then along the back wall to the sink. The entire back wall run will be exposed and it will be about 20-25 ft long. The reason im doing it this way is becuase there isnt really any access behind the shop to bury it back there and even if there were, I am going to be doing some more dirt work back there so I dont want to have to deal with it being back there. Now, my question is this..... What should I use inside? I dont really have a justification for my thinking, but I was thinking about useing pex from where it comes out of the ground to the sink. I know I run the risk of an exposed pipe freezing, just regular pipe insulation on it?

Re: What should I use??

Is freezing really a concern? I did some volunteer work outside Gulfport and the water lines (maybe temporary?) were within 12" of the surface. You don't mention where the waste will go.

A book on plumbing may help. A professional plumber would be best.

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
      Is freezing really a concern? I did some volunteer work outside Gulfport and the water lines (maybe temporary?) were within 12" of the surface. You don't mention where the waste will go.

A book on plumbing may help. A professional plumber would be best.

For one, I dont feel that I need a book an def. not a plumber to run one water line to a sink outside, lol. Anywho, no, freezing is not a huge concern. The line in question already runs under ground about 200ft and its only about 8in deep. 8in down here will keep it from freezing, but it does get cold enough a few times a year to freeze lines that are above ground. (its not likely to happen, but it can. After some research I found out that pex cant be exposed to UV, so it looks like its going to be 100% pvc. the drain line will be burried a few feet and then drain into my pond. As stated before this sink is in my shop. The only reason for the sink is to not have to go outside for a water hose and maybe the occasional hand washing. No chemicals, food, or anything else that wouldnt be used with the hose faucet out front will be used in the sink. In the next few years I am going to be building my house out here and I will tie it into the septic that I put it for that at that point.

Comment

How about PVC underground and transition to copper above ground? You get the ease of the PVC and only a small piece of copper needed. The PVC does get brittle with UV exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
          PVC doesn't do that well under UV exposure. Becomes brittle in time.
          I like copper for anything above ground, outside.
          Wow, I never knew that. I see tons and tons of PVC above ground and exposed so I guess I just figured it wouldnt be a problem. Im half way tempted to trench the concrete and bury it in the slab....

Comment

You don't need a book, and you def. don't need a plumber, so why are you asking?

Comment

just stick a spigot outside and bury a long hose around to where the sink is going to be then empty the waste into a bucket under the sink. that should pass code but check with your local plumbing inspector first they might want a vacuume breaker at the hose connection to prevent any backflow.

Comment

I have never seen so many people on a forum be complete pricks. I have been reading alot on here and it seems everyone is extremely quick to say "hire a pro" instead of answering questions. People learn from experience and I see nothting wrong with asking questions. "Plumber Rick" seems to be the only guy around here who isnt a prick. You guys all seem to be soo worried that if you answer a question, or if HD carries a product you will loose business. Guess what, If you are good at what you do you wont have to worry about that.

I am qualified to run a damn water line to one sink in a shop, I know my knowlede level and I know what I can do. The fact that I ask for opinons on how those who do this every day would run it does not negate the fact that I am capable.
                On the flip side of that, I know my limitations. I am capable of doing the finish plumbing on a house after sheetrock, I am capable of fixing most plumbing problems that break, but you WILL NOT find me doing a new construction job. You WILL NOT find me trying to repair or clean a drain that is cast iron pipe. You WILL NOT find me bidding on any plumbing job that requires a permit. Get the point?

One more thing. If you have so much sand in your *** that you cant answer a plumbing question with out being a smart *** or telling some one to hire a pro then maybe you should stay in the section of the forum for PLUMBING PROFESSIONALS, and stay out of this one.
                Last edited by futuresweets10; 12-18-2008, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
                  just stick a spigot outside and bury a long hose around to where the sink is going to be then empty the waste into a bucket under the sink. that should pass code but check with your local plumbing inspector first they might want a vacuume breaker at the hose connection to prevent any backflow.
                  This reminds me of the time a guy was told on an automotive forum to flush his engine with the garden hose while it was running during an oil change.....

Comment

What should you use?

The Private Message feature at the top so you can ask the opinions of the people that you want.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      What should you use?

The Private Message feature at the top so you can ask the opinions of the people that you want.

J.C.
                      Ya-Ya...Deesh von heer'sh ah Vizenhiemer...Ya-Ya.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        you mean a smarta$$?
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                          you mean a smarta$$?
                          Quite literally, I believe he meant:

Ja-Ja sind Sie ein Besserwisser Ja-Ja

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark