Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cross connections fire depts.

Originally posted by metx View Post
    That is why when the hydrants are open some houses have rusty water .
    no, it's because when they open a hydrant and flow 100% of the volume, they basically flush out all the standing crud in the line.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

In this age,Why not a large brass back flow preventer on each fire truck?? I would guess My Watts hose bib adapter technology would do it, What do I know?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        no, it's because when they open a hydrant and flow 100% of the volume, they basically flush out all the standing crud in the line.

rick.
        I've seen 8" water mains that have been reduced to 1/2 the compacity they had so much build up.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
          Gene, Thanks for the pics. Did that pipe split along the length? Always thought the break would occur across the pipe, not along the length.
          Yes. cast Iron main. You could tell it was an old crack and two approx 2" ID holes finally let lose. Crack was about 9' long. This was the original break. They discovered the other two shortly after. Another was found on Monday in a different area. Assume it's related, sometimes they take a while to come up out of the ground.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Why would a BP on the truck help things? Isn't the problem that the truck pulls so much water out of the lines that everything else wants to back flow? Maybe I'm just not getting it.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              In this age,Why not a large brass back flow preventer on each fire truck?? I would guess My Watts hose bib adapter technology would do it, What do I know?
              Not to mention flow restriction but you also lose up to 10 psi through a backflow.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                Why would a BP on the truck help things? Isn't the problem that the truck pulls so much water out of the lines that everything else wants to back flow? Maybe I'm just not getting it.
                The preventer on the truck is more to protect from back siphonage through the truck (or hose).

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

here every hydrant meter has a backflow---wilkins makes it---its a 975 and a meter----you rent them from the city for a fee----if caught using hydrant without this, big fine-----very stricy on backflow in elyria-=--if you guys walked the factory at ridgid, you should have seen all their backflows

Comment

I didn't notice any backflows at the Ridgid factory but I may have been a little google-eyed at all the tools being made

We did drink water from an Artesian well and that was AWSOME!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Where are you at that they are requiring backflows on the hydrant meters? I know PM makes one but it is only approved as a meter not a backflow. The problem is getting it approved by USC due to it being temporary and portable. In theory it would have to be re-tested and certified each time it is connected. That said it is a good idea.

Mark
                      I think Huston requires BFPs on temporary or construction connections to hydrants. When you pull the permit for the meter you get the meter and BFP and pay a deposit on the whole assembly. I saw something about this in DWPB Magazine a couple years ago. I remember thinking at the time why is this not done everywhere, it just makes sense with all the potential cross connections on a jobsite. You know like when the mason leaves the hose dangling in the 55 Gal. water drum for his wet saw?
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Fire trucks are also used to draught water in an urban environment. Meaning that one method is to hook up a hard suction like the suction for a mud pump. Engage the pump and prime. If you hook up the truck in this manner to the 5" steamer connection (the big one). Example the hydrant is connected to to a 6," 50 year old main. The truck can easily run in a vacuum and have to literally suck the water out of the water main. That is why a vacuum breaker is required on all HWH installations. Does anyone do that hell no. Most of the the building inspectors don't even know what one is when they do see one. Ever see a flattened out water heater, this theoretically can happen. Modern pumper trucks can pump up to 2500 GPM. The fireman in the cities of America usually don't have these problems. But the small unpaid fireman in the rest of the small towns and villages across the nation encounter this problem on a regular basis. Example 1500 gpm pumper connected to a 50 year old 4" ductile iron main= about a 2" main. Hook truck up 50 psi static pressure start to pump truck with (3) 1 3/4" hand lines open at 200 gpm= 600 gpm pump and main is now in a vacuum. Some one opens a hand valve to fill their steam boiler what ends up in the main. What if someone one throws the hose in the pool to fill it and opens it. What if some DIY is using a blow bag in his stopped up main sewer. Cross connection. It should be code too have at least a Watts 7 series dual check and expansion tank on the main water service. We have been doing it that way for years dual check and x tank. Where I live the village has been updating meters and have installed meter horns with dual checks when the new meter is installed. The X tank is now not an option, we get calls that my HWH is blowing the relief valve after the water deptartment has installed their new meter.
                        Last edited by Chauncey; 12-18-2008, 09:12 AM.
                        WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                        ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Thank's Chauncey,You sure brought a lot to the table! I was curious,asking this question.
                          I had no idea of the potential for health problems. If You and I had these holes in the Net,
                          what do You suppose the Govt. would do to Us ?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

They would nail are asses to the cross with 100 penny nails. I am sure that it has happened in the real world, people probably have gotten sick and possibly even worse. The government covers shi* like this up just as they cover every thing else up.

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Thank's Chauncey,You sure brought a lot to the table! I was curious,asking this question.
                            I had no idea of the potential for health problems. If You and I had these holes in the Net,
                            what do You suppose the Govt. would do to Us ?
                            WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                            ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

I heard a story at apprentice school about an incident where a h/o had a bottle of pesticide/herbicide on his garden hose, and the fire dep't was fighting a fire and opened up a hydrant and it ended up sucking the chemical into the town water supply, killing a couple of people. I will see if I can find a link.

Check out this link:http://www.kentrel.com/backflow_cases.htm
                              Last edited by Bogart; 12-19-2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X