X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frozen drain

hey every one , new here . i have a problem with a frozen drain. its in a mobile trailer & its coming from the on suit at the other end of the trailer . i had the same prob last year thats why i know its frozen . last year i just waited it out , this year i need it fixed with family & all coming for christmas. all the other plumbing is fine & on the other end of the trailer . now the underneath is covered with a belly or bladder & i think the only thing to do is wrap heat tape around it for the -15 & colder weather . is there any other thing i can do to thaw it ??

thanks

Re: frozen drain

Is the p-trap frozen? If so wrap it with insulation and prevent the wind from blowing on it.

It also sounds like the drain may not have enough fall on it.

Are there any sags in drain?

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post

It also sounds like the drain may not have enough fall on it.

Are there any sags in drain?
      Being a trailer I'm guessing 79% chance sags in pipe.
      20% chance the trailer is on a busted cement slab or gravel pad and has settled, throwing what little pitch the pipe had, off.
      1% nothing is wrong with the pipe, it just froze due to the cold.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I use a hose faucet adapter and run a small hose up to the ice and trickle hot water.

Comment

What is not draining? From what you are saying, I assume it is a second bath room? So, tub, sink, and toilet?
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Agree need more information as to what fixtures are affected, and whether you are asking how to get it open, how to prevent it from recurring, or both.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by cilton View Post
              hey every one , new here . i have a problem with a frozen drain. its in a mobile trailer & its coming from the on suit at the other end of the trailer . i had the same prob last year thats why i know its frozen . last year i just waited it out , this year i need it fixed with family & all coming for christmas. all the other plumbing is fine & on the other end of the trailer . now the underneath is covered with a belly or bladder & i think the only thing to do is wrap heat tape around it for the -15 & colder weather . is there any other thing i can do to thaw it ??

thanks
              Ya , a space heater ( electric ) go under the trailer and create a room or borders around the plumbing , kinda like a skirting for the plumbing, turn on 1500 watt spacer heater for an hour or two ,

Make sure to keep an eye on the heater

Also make sure you fix your trailer skirting , and isulate inside of it ,

Draft free is the trick

Comment

hi cilton,

make sure there are no serious sags, dips, and back grades/slope on the fixture drain.

make sure you completely skirt your trailer and eliminate all drafts/cross winds. this sometimes is cause for freeze ups.

also, a dripping faucet, draining little amounts of water (ie; half a glass of water many times), a leaking flapper valve on the WC, old or dirty KS plug/stopper, peeing many times without flushing, and too much grade after the WC on the horizontal run (water and toilet paper will run faster than the poop, thus leaving it behind to freeze in the pipe) can all cause a fixture drain to freeze.

i'm sure there could be other factors.

if/when you install the heat trace, remember to tape the heat trace to bottom of the pipe with aluminum tape. don't spiril it aound and cross over.then insulate. i don't think your supposed use the heat trace for water pipe (gets too hot).

but i would have to say that getting rid of any/all drafts by skirting is one of the more important preventative messures you can do.

i was taught to insulate pipes that were going to be outside/below the structure. i never questioned it, i just did it.

i replumbed a store/restraunt in churchill, manitoba. when i mentioned insulation, the husband of the owner said no. he told me that all they were going to do was bank up the building with snow. churchill's tempuratures are very close to where i live, and i didn't believe it was going to work. come on, we 're talking about bare ABS pipe. as God is my witness, it worked all winter. there were no traps in the floor or crawlspace however.

up here we build our houses with two floors on the main floor. the top one is to run heating ducts and drainage. the lower floor is the insulated one (R40).

as for getting it going for now, jay nailed it. a thaw tube works everytime, unless it's a KS drain which may have a build up of grease. if that's the case get a jetter.

hope that helps you out.

Vince

Comment

hey wow thanks every one . the trailer does have a skirt around it with 2" of insulation & a belly pan with insulation as well it . is a whole bathroom at the other end of the trailer .the water runs in the sink tub & the toilet but they just fill up . the rest of the place drains fine (kitchen sink,dishwasher,wash machine,&other bathroom)

Comment

At the end of the home (the end with the back ups) up in the insulation you should find a 3"-4" clean out cap. Remove the cap, slowly, be prepared for sewer water to come back at you. Then you can try the hose trick using a garden hose if it is just ice ( the hose will not remove a clog).
                    I have found with trailers that the freeze often starts around the area where the pipes come together and then go into the ground or in an area of a sag in the pipe or a clog that caused water to back up and stay in the pipe then freeze. Eventually the entire pipe will freeze from the point of blockage back , I suspect yours has because it's been sitting so long.
                    Now the question is, is it 2', 6', 48' of frozen pipe? You may want to hire someone for this. You could spend 4 hrs messing with it out in the cold and not solve the problem. They would also be able to better advise you on how to prevent the problem from happening again.

These are pics from a trailer that was froze for two weeks, Home owner and others tried to fix on their own.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I love pic#2. The spaghetti spoon for picking up poo?!

Comment

nice poo pics Gene.

in pic #1, is that a kernel of corn i see?

in pic#2, it doesn't look like the 3"(?) is supported from the top. is supported from underneath?

Vince

it looks like the tenents have a heathly diet

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post

in pic#2, it doesn't look like the 3"(?) is supported from the top. is supported from underneath?
                          Well of course it's supported from underneath. With a 4" mountain of frozen turd

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                            I love pic#2. The spaghetti spoon for picking up poo?!
                            Yeah, I'm not quite sure what they were trying to do with that also had a spatula and a big spoon. Sometimes I find it best to not ask.

Comment

Vince

i like the way you think Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X