Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Closet Flange Connection

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Do they allow gluing inside of the pipe where you are located? (Anyone?)

Here it is not allowed.

J.C.
    I glue flanges inside 4" pvc all the time and anchor them to the floor. No problems. Use a heavy bodied cement and anchor it.

The code is not the end all be all with me but its legal here. Wouldn't matter if it wasn't...I'd still do it because I know it works.
    Last edited by TheMaster; 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      I can't think of where we could put a fitting inside if pipe.I know it's against our code.
      It is against code under general rules and regulations it is not an approved use of the fitting or the pipe.

If it were allowed then whats to stop some fool from gluing say a 3" 90, inside a 4" pipe? Why bother with a bushing or reducing coupling when you can just glue the fitting hub in right?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
        I glue flanges inside 4" pvc all the time and anchor them to the floor. No problems. Use a heavy bodied cement and anchor it.

The code is not the end all be all with me but its legal here. Wouldn't matter if it wasn't...I'd still do it because I know it works.
        I can make all kinds of things "work" that are not code approved. However, in reference to IPC code, it is not allowed. No fitting of any kind may be glued into the inside of the pipe.

It is enforced.

J.C.

Comment

I can make all kinds of things "work" that are not code approved. However, in reference to IPC code, it is not allowed. No fitting of any kind may be glued into the inside of the pipe.

It is enforced.

J.C.
          Well if you dont feel comfortable with it and your code doesn't allow it then I wouldn't expect you to use it. I however find it works well so some that I installed over 20 years ago are still working fine.

By the way....My caliper says my flange has a taper on the inside for 3" pipe and a taper on the outside for inside 4" pipe for an interference fit.

I think some that couldn't plumb decided to write code

Comment

Well if you dont feel comfortable with it and your code doesn't allow it then I wouldn't expect you to use it. I however find it works well so some that I installed over 20 years ago are still working fine.

By the way....My caliper says my flange has a taper on the inside for 3" pipe and a taper on the outside for inside 4" pipe for an interference fit.

I think some that couldn't plumb decided to write code
            We won't always see eye to eye, but this I think we can agree on.

J.C.

Comment

We won't always see eye to eye, but this I think we can agree on.

J.C.
              The code is nothing more than a whore. The right people want to do somthing the code gets changed. Simple as that. I've seen it and 2 generations before me have seen it and I expect the next generation to see it.

If the powers that be were serious about plumbing being done to code home depot and lowes wouldn't have a plumbing department spanning 4 isles.

Comment

The code is nothing more than a whore. The right people want to do somthing the code gets changed. Simple as that. I've seen it and 2 generations before me have seen it and I expect the next generation to see it.

If the powers that be were serious about plumbing being done to code home depot and lowes wouldn't have a plumbing department spanning 4 isles.
                And only 1 code for everywhere. There is no reason for more than one code.

There is no reason.

J.C.

Comment

And only 1 code for everywhere. There is no reason for more than one code.

There is no reason.

J.C.
                  Different parts of the country have different concerns so i'm not so sure about 1 code.

Comment

Different parts of the country have different concerns so i'm not so sure about 1 code.
                    I am. One code.

J.C.

Comment

I am. One code.

J.C.
                      I already have one code. Mine.

Comment

Having been on a code review board I can tell you that things that may seem stupid or obvious to the average plumber are not always that simple. Codes are written to protect the plumber and the consumer. There is a big difference between being a plumber and having a degree in plumbing engineering. Codes are written because they follow accepted engineering design, manufacturers design specifications and liability law. Many times I have blustered into a code meeting with what I thought was a good argument either for or against something only to have the reasons better explained to me by either a plumbing engineer or a lawyer. Remember that the code protects you. So, the main reason not to glue the flange inside the pipe is because, god forbid something ever did go wrong, you would be held liable for all damages because you did not follow the code or the manufacturers recommendations. It's all well an good to be a "cowboy" and make the rules up yourself but when the lawyers come a calling you don't have a leg to stand on.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Having been on a code review board I can tell you that things that may seem stupid or obvious to the average plumber are not always that simple. Codes are written to protect the plumber and the consumer. There is a big difference between being a plumber and having a degree in plumbing engineering. Codes are written because they follow accepted engineering design, manufacturers design specifications and liability law. Many times I have blustered into a code meeting with what I thought was a good argument either for or against something only to have the reasons better explained to me by either a plumbing engineer or a lawyer. Remember that the code protects you. So, the main reason not to glue the flange inside the pipe is because, god forbid something ever did go wrong, you would be held liable for all damages because you did not follow the code or the manufacturers recommendations. It's all well an good to be a "cowboy" and make the rules up yourself but when the lawyers come a calling you don't have a leg to stand on.
                          Jones Stephens corp manufactures the flange. It can be glued inside 4" or over 3" pipe per the manufacturer. It has UPC stamped on it.....what does that mean?

Now what?

Comment

I see lots of items with UPC stamped on it. It does not mean it meets the local plumbing code.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              I see lots of items with UPC stamped on it. It does not mean it meets the local plumbing code.
                              Sure doesn't. But it does mean its accepted in others.

Comment

I dunno about that. I have seen some items that make claims to be code approved, but if you dig deeper into it they are not. For example the permaflow P-trap with the paddle wheel, or the corrugated flexible tubular piping they make for drain wastes.
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X