Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Closet Flange Connection

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Whew! Glad you're done. Erase it. Maybe could have been left alone or a new thread with all of the answers in about 5 posts.

Instead it turned into "I'm right, you're wrong, I've been doing it this way for years...."

Still no codes listed from any books from anyone to help. No crow for me.

Just chicken wings.

J.C.
    MMMM,chicken wings.Extra spicy.
    What are you guys babbling about.
    More chicken wings

Please

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      MMMM,chicken wings.Extra spicy.
      What are you guys babbling about.
      More chicken wings

Please
      Ah he!!. Now I really do want some chicken wings.

J.C.

Comment

Whew! Glad you're done. Erase it. Maybe could have been left alone or a new thread with all of the answers in about 5 posts.

Instead it turned into "I'm right, you're wrong, I've been doing it this way for years...."

Still no codes listed from any books from anyone to help. No crow for me.

Just chicken wings.

J.C.
        I think the thread went well. Bart cleared it up a page ago. He didn't list codes because its not specifically talked about. The astm numbers gives it its approval by using the product as the manufacturer intended and under the upc that legal and approved.

The intent of the code has been met.

Comment

Ah he!!. Now I really do want some chicken wings.

J.C.
          I swear we're gonna die of clogged tubes...Happy though.

Comment

And only 1 code for everywhere. There is no reason for more than one code.

There is no reason.

J.C.
            How about no plumbing in outside walls at 30 below?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              How about no plumbing in outside walls at 30 below?
              Suits me fine Pops!

J.C.

Comment

One code wont work since each area has different circumstances. For example I do not think people that live down south want to dig 60" deep to lay a water service.

I will give Mobile Alabama a call in the morning to see if they approve a fitting to be glued into a pipe. Like I said lots of things in plumbing have agency approvals but lots of states, townships and municipal codes may not allow it. I honestly believe the UPS and ASTM ratings are for using the fitting socket and gluing on the outside of the pipe, not the inside. The end all of this debate would be proof, like ToUtahNow posted for me about the P-trap that I felt would not meet any code.

I can not see the inside of a pipe being approved to accept a fitting. As many others pointed out, the ASTM ratings on the pipe are for the uniformity of the outside of the pipe. You can see the difference of the outside of the pipe vs the inside. The inside is no where smooth or perfect.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Galvy or black iron for gas
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Man some of you guys are married to the Plumbing code. Do you guys also follow the speed limits in your area as well? Because speeding IS AGAINST THE LAW. You're endangering your life and the welfare of others.

With that said..I understand why the code doesn't you gluing flanges into pipe. But how many of you guys use wax seals with horns on them? Kind of like the same thing..isn't it? You're reducing the size of the opening by using a wax horn, and they are not illegal to use.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      One code wont work since each area has different circumstances. For example I do not think people that live down south want to dig 60" deep to lay a water service.

I will give Mobile Alabama a call in the morning to see if they approve a fitting to be glued into a pipe. Like I said lots of things in plumbing have agency approvals but lots of states, townships and municipal codes may not allow it. I honestly believe the UPS and ASTM ratings are for using the fitting socket and gluing on the outside of the pipe, not the inside. The end all of this debate would be proof, like ToUtahNow posted for me about the P-trap that I felt would not meet any code.

I can not see the inside of a pipe being approved to accept a fitting. As many others pointed out, the ASTM ratings on the pipe are for the uniformity of the outside of the pipe. You can see the difference of the outside of the pipe vs the inside. The inside is no where smooth or perfect.
                      I do think there should only be one code and it could address all areas needs.

In your example, no, people in warmer climates would not want to dig 60" for a water service and there would be no need to do so.

The code could state that "Water services must be X below the areas frost line". A table could be included. Map maybe.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        Man some of you guys are married to the Plumbing code. Do you guys also follow the speed limits in your area as well? Because speeding IS AGAINST THE LAW. You're endangering your life and the welfare of others.

With that said..I understand why the code doesn't you gluing flanges into pipe. But how many of you guys use wax seals with horns on them? Kind of like the same thing..isn't it? You're reducing the size of the opening by using a wax horn, and they are not illegal to use.
                        Yes I follow the speed limits in my area. I set my cruise control to keep me from joining the speeding pack mentality. Illinois just passed a law where speeding over 20mph ( I think might be 30) you go to jail for 6 months and a large fine.

I hear guys at the supply houses complaining about doing plumbing in some towns due to the inspector being a hard *** on the codes. I always ask them why not just do the stuff to code, and not give him any reason to be a hard ***. I have done plenty of work in these towns and the inspector never gave me a hard time.
                        Ron's Facebook

Comment

As to the wax seal. I don't use them I am a putty man. But when I did use wax, never used the ones with horns.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            Yes I follow the speed limits in my area. I set my cruise control to keep me from joining the speeding pack mentality. Illinois just passed a law where speeding over 20mph ( I think might be 30) you go to jail for 6 months and a large fine.

I hear guys at the supply houses complaining about doing plumbing in some towns due to the inspector being a hard *** on the codes. I always ask them why not just do the stuff to code, and not give him any reason to be a hard ***. I have done plenty of work in these towns and the inspector never gave me a hard time.
                            1 mph over the speed limit is breaking the law...lets not lose sight of that.

No offense to you or anyone else, but I simply don't believe that any Plumber here hasn't went against the code to get them out of a jam. I'm not talking about blatant violations in where the health of the customer is at risk. Code says I should caulk toilets down to hardwood floors...and I don't..am I a hack?
                            I respect the Plumbing code and follow it to the best of my ability, but I'm not married to it.
                            Last edited by Flux; 01-06-2011, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Hey flux I wonder how much pressure a closet flange could hold before it blew OUT of the pipe or the joint failed?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                                Hey flux I wonder how much pressure a closet flange could hold before it blew OUT of the pipe or the joint failed?
                                Well if it's possible, I have not seen it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X