Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Closet Flange Connection

http://www.siouxchief.com/Drainage/R...nges/TKO.JGVEB

There is nothing wrong with glueing a toilet flange inside 4" PVC. This is not a hard concept to understand.

Comment

I did apartment buildings when I first started out plumbing, most 3+ floors with 4 units per floor and 2 toilets per unit. Every Toilet had 4" PVC with a inside 4" Toilet Flange.

We tested every unit to pass inspections. There was never a leak at the Toilet Flange.

We did well over 1000 units, so say 2000 tested inside 4" PVC Toilet Flanges and never a leak.

Comment

GreenPlumb, thank you for the link. Sioux Chief has a note right on their ad there that proves the point that a lot of us has been saying. The inside of the pipe is not uniform.

Attached Files
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by GreenPlumb View Post
          I did apartment buildings when I first started out plumbing, most 3+ floors with 4 units per floor and 2 toilets per unit. Every Toilet had 4" PVC with a inside 4" Toilet Flange.

We tested every unit to pass inspections. There was never a leak at the Toilet Flange.

We did well over 1000 units, so say 2000 tested inside 4" PVC Toilet Flanges and never a leak.
          Homeowners are putting all sorts of retarded fitting configurations together.Leaking is not the issue.

Inside the pipe is illegal,UPC.Won't pass inspection by a knowledgeable inspector.
          DoI cheat?
          I leave that up to the individual.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            GreenPlumb, thank you for the link. Sioux Chief has a note right on their ad there that proves the point that a lot of us has been saying. The inside of the pipe is not uniform.

The inside might not be 100% uniform.

It's good enuff to hold 5 Floors ( 22 PSI ) for head test.

Thats good enuff for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              I've found different brands of pvc that the fittings are loose on different brands of pipe. So its up to the plumber to make sure they have an interference fit.

The post proves its code approved in some areas just like I have been saying and the main thing it proves is that it WORKS.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Inside the pipe is illegal,UPC.Won't pass inspection by a knowledgeable inspector.
                DoI cheat?
                I leave that up to the individual.
                If it gets me out of a jam, and I'm saving the customer a few thousand dollars from ripping up marble/tile on a concrete floor, I'm using one of those flanges.

Somewhere a long the line "common sense" has to come into play in this trade.

Comment

This works also
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    If it gets me out of a jam, and I'm saving the customer a few thousand dollars from ripping up marble/tile on a concrete floor, I'm using one of those flanges.

Somewhere a long the line "common sense" has to come into play in this trade.
                    Thats right its just simple common sense.

With a 4" inside the pipe flange the solvent weld joint is not exposed to water flow unless the drain cloggs. The joint is never stressed because the flange is anchored to the floor.

The joint between the flange and the pipe is way stronger and will hold more pressure then any wax seal or putty(unless the putty has dried out then it gets very hard and makes a superior seal compared to the wax,but not as strong as solvent weld.),especially when the sewer backs up and the homeowner uses a plunger.

Common sense...its just not common anymore. If its not in a book or online then it must not be true!!!!

NHmaster is deflecting by posting pics that have no relationship to the subject. Sorry!
                    Last edited by TheMaster; 01-08-2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Re: Closet Flange Connection

What we have here is a failure to understand what a solvent weld joint is.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        What we have here is a failure to understand what a solvent weld joint is.
                        It has an interference fit...it is solvent welded. There is no failure

Comment

Explain "interference fit" No Googling
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Explain "interference fit" No Googling
                            It's what you do when you install new bearings on you axle.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                            X