X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closet Flange Connection

I am no plumber but have almost completed a bathroom reno. However, I have what I think is a small issue in making the final closet flange connection. I set my elbow under the subfloor and left the final flange connection until after I had my flooring done so that I could get it at the right height. Given that I installed infloor heating, slef-levelling concrete than tile my height has come up a lot.

As of right now, the female end of my toilet elbow is too far below the height of the floor for the closet flange's male end to make a good connection with enough overlap. So, what is the easiest solution? There is not enough room for a coupling.

Can you buy a female closet flange that would then allow me to make up a joint between the elbow and flange with a straight length of ABS?

I thought I may be able to find a coupling with one male end to go into the elbow and a female end for the closet flange but can't seem to locate.

There's gotta be an easy way??

Re: Closet Flange Connection

Yes there is :

Comment

I am aware of the flange extenders; however, since I have not yet installed the flange, I thought it might be preferable to set it at the final floor height with a welded connection as opposed to relying on these extenders. The issue being that the flange that I have does not have a throat that is long enough to reach the closet elbow in the floor.

I guess I could remove some of the finished floor to get down to a level where the flange will firmly seat in the elbow then use the extenders but is that not a less secure connection?

I gotta believe there is another option.

Comment

Originally posted by cjt View Post
        Can you buy a female closet flange that would then allow me to make up a joint between the elbow and flange with a straight length of ABS?
        Yes but it may require a little trimming if the hub from the elbow and flange butt tight to one another. Remember, you want the bottom of the flange to rest on top of finished floor. Then anchor securely.

Comment

What would have saved you:Stub up 4" pvc,tile around it then cut it flush with the finished floor and glue your flange in.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
            Stub up 4" pvc,tile around it then cut it flush with the finished floor and glue your flange in.
            Exactly. A 3" flange will fit inside 4" pipe.[/quote]
            You might want to put something around the pipe to allow for the hub of the 4X2 closet ring.The 3" hub inside 4" pipe isn't the best.All hubs have a slight interior taper to provide the optimum joint integrity.

But to be absolutly honest with you,I find myself having to use the 3 indide of 4 when there are no other options.

If I can chip out the grout and cut the plywood to get around the outside of pipe I will.

Comment

If you tile around the flange just make sure you have a drill bit to penetrate the tile to screw your flange down.
              Last edited by Jay Mpls; 12-18-2008, 10:26 AM. Reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWTGGhbHjA

Comment

You all are assuming he has a 4" 90.

What if it's 3"

Comment

Oh just take it apart and do it the right way already

Comment

It looks like this small issue is a little bigger than you thought. Hopefully you braced your elbow securely under the toilet area. How far below the floor is the top of your female elbow? Don't use any of the extenders, they can come back to bite you. What I have done in the past is to cut some slices vertically in the piping that is glued to the elbow trying my best not to cut into the elbow itself. Then using a long screwdriver, a hammer and wearing eye and face protection, I actually remove the the existing pipe. This is where having the closet elbow securely braced below the toilet becomes more helpful. If your pipework is bouncing up and down then you know that you did not do things right. Hopefully you used PVC pipe and clear glue, if you did, this should come apart pretty nicely. Upon reassembly make sure that elbow is clean and use a different type of glue that is specified for the grade of piping that you have. You may want to check into using an insta set style type closet ring that is used primarily for cast iron or no hub applications. A small amount of chipping may be required to put this guy in but it is a bullet proof ring.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      You all are assuming he has a 4" 90.

What if it's 3"

I wasn't even comenting on that I figured everyone including O/P knew the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                        It looks like this small issue is a little bigger than you thought. Hopefully you braced your elbow securely under the toilet area. How far below the floor is the top of your female elbow? Don't use any of the extenders, they can come back to bite you. What I have done in the past is to cut some slices vertically in the piping that is glued to the elbow trying my best not to cut into the elbow itself. Then using a long screwdriver, a hammer and wearing eye and face protection, I actually remove the the existing pipe. This is where having the closet elbow securely braced below the toilet becomes more helpful. If your pipework is bouncing up and down then you know that you did not do things right. Hopefully you used PVC pipe and clear glue, if you did, this should come apart pretty nicely. Upon reassembly make sure that elbow is clean and use a different type of glue that is specified for the grade of piping that you have. You may want to check into using an insta set style type closet ring that is used primarily for cast iron or no hub applications. A small amount of chipping may be required to put this guy in but it is a bullet proof ring.
                        Eye and face Protection.Yup...Me too.
                        Kevlar vest when using a nail gun...
                        I like using Umrella when drilling wood overhead(keeps shavings out of the tit pocket)

Man,you must have stock in Insta-Sets.

Glad to have you with us Rookie.I've been waiting a long time to have a guy like you join.

Comment

Do they allow gluing inside of the pipe where you are located? (Anyone?)

Here it is not allowed.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Do they allow gluing inside of the pipe where you are located? (Anyone?)

Here it is not allowed.

J.C.
                            I can't think of where we could put a fitting inside if pipe.I know it's against our code.

Comment

MN code says nothing about gluing inside of pipe.I have had some flanges not hold air and have had to break the knockout and wax them on the inside then ball and retest!

Comment

Working...
                              X