I want to become a Plumber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to become a Plumber

Hi my name is Gary and I'm from Beirut Lebanon; for those who don't know where this is, well I guess most of you haven't heard of it coz it would be pretty weird if anyone did, it is actually somewhere at the mediterrenean sea facing Cyprus.

Anyway.. here's my story: One of my bathroom drains was clogged a few weeks ago and the whole room was flooded. As usual when there's a drain problem I called the plumber who arrived some hours later with his "equipments and toolbox" which actually was nothing more than a 2 meter piece of metal wire with a twisted end that looks pretty much like some of those fences.

Anyhow I wasn't surprised at all because that's how drain cleaning goes back here.. (some of you might wonder from which boondocks I come from but believe me its not that bad up here as it sounds. Beirut is a 1.5 Million people city and advanced in many aspects.)
    Anyway, that poor guy went on desperately sticking that thing, his head down, into the pipe until he finally gave up and told me that he knew a woman who had some machines and can take care of the problem. I took her number, called her immediately telling her what it's about and that it's very urgent, but she said that there's no way she can come before next thursday coz things were very busy now and that she's sorry. As if it was some Medical appointement!! (never mind i'll deal with her later)

So as said, she came next week, (end 40s, dyed blonde short curly hair, not very nice to look at) with a bunch of Egyptian guys (whose salary is below 400$/month each). They did the job in less than 10 minutes while she was sitting on the patio enjoying and billed me 100$ (wages here are 2.5 times less than the States).

It surely pained a lot to pay that price, but the good thing is that it made me want to open a drain service company myself! and become a good plumber like you guys! but I have zero experience in this field because I am an Auto spare parts dealer (I've got a small company and I import some parts and thanksfully do some profits too!)

What do you think? Do I go for it? I've done a lot of researches (that's how I got here btw) and it seems very feasible; that Woman is enjoying a pure Monopoly.. By now, I've visited a lot of drain cleaning tool websites, watched some videos, and I feel that I am theoretically well acquainted with most of the machines, but what frightens me, is that I have never done this kind of job before, and I am afraid that it might be too difficult!

Thank you for your comments and for taking your time to read this

Re: I want to become a Plumber

Are you for real?

You want to be a drain cleaner because you think we make a lot of money?

All of this based on one service call?

Just shove a cable down a pipe. How hard can that be?

My advice would be ride around with an established drain cleaner for a few days to see if that's something you want to do. Trust me, it's not for everybody.

Next time you take a crap, reach back into the toilet and schmear some poop on your face If you gag violently this may not be the profession for you.

Comment

I say do it! It's so easy and you can make money all day long.

I wear cargo pants now because it gives me more places to put all the money I get.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

You have to learn to crawl before you learn to run. Anyone who wants to start a drain-cleaning business needs 3 things: 1) Experience 2) The tools 3) Marketing.

You don't have any of these yet. To get 1) you'll need to firstly work at a drain company for a few years and learn the trade. Then you'll have to save up enough money to buy the machine and tools (I spent over $15,000 this year on drain equipment). Then you'll need to get your name out there with some sort of marketing plan, which can also be expensive and take lots of patience.

So expect to invest at least 3 years and many thousands of dollars into it before you can even start. If you still want to pursue this path, and you ahve the patience (and the stomach), then go for it.

The most important first step is to GET A DRAIN-CLEANING JOB AND LEARN THE TRADE. If you like it after a few months, then you know you are on the right path.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by sunseeker View Post
          They did the job in less than 10 minutes while she was sitting on the patio enjoying and billed me 100$ (wages here are 2.5 times less than the States).

is that I have never done this kind of job before, and I am afraid that it might be too difficult!

Well which is it?

In one quote you say its "easy cash"

and the next quote you are worried ......

Yea, go for it,

In fact buy all NEW Ridgid equipment ONLY RIDGID !!!

BUY ALL machines for even more money you make, !!!

Yea, Yea, all tools buy all ridgid tools.

EASY STRATEGIE WE HAVE HERE:

MORE TOOLS = MORE MONEY!!!!

YEA YEA, NO SKILL JUST BLONDE WOMEN WITH TOOLS

COME ON !!!

Comment

The thing about drain cleaning is you have to have some plumbing expertise also. Sounds like your job went smooth but trust me not all drain cleaning jobs are that simple. You are bound to go through an old pipe here are there and you had better know how to repair it when it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
              The thing about drain cleaning is you have to have some plumbing expertise also. Sounds like your job went smooth but trust me not all drain cleaning jobs are that simple. You are bound to go through an old pipe here are there and you had better know how to repair it when it happens.
              Oh come on

They even have cameras now , just stick in the pipe and pull out stopage

Comment

I like being a plumber couze I can go without showering for weeks.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                  Oh come on

They even have cameras now , just stick in the pipe and pull out stopage
                  Your right what was I thinking. Yeah I would say after spending about $20,000 on the proper tools anyone should be able to start a drain cleaning Business in Beruit no experience needed

Comment

I wanna be a parts distributor like the OP , so I can pay another plumber $100 and watch him unclog my pipes! Oh and in minutes ...oh and with no experience

Comment

As far as running the machines it is not hard, (as the TV commercial goes it is so easy a Cave man can do it), and if all goes right it is not hard.

but the problem is when you start to deal with old plumbing some of it is very deteriorated and you can punch a hole through the side of it, or you can get in to a line that has shifted or collapsed, and get your cleaning cable stuck, if you search some of the posts you will see or read of stories of running into old cables that were stuck and cut off and left in a drain. and some stories on working hours on a drain trying to unstuck a cable,

yes there is money to be made in the business if ran correctly and managed well,

but you will need to know a basic knowledge of plumbing and how the pipes go together and why there that way,
                      How to do basic repairs, or know a good plumber to call and fix things that could break when working on the drain,
                      the correct tools to use and where to use them, and how to use them,

and like said can you stomach a toilet full of **** and over flowing, or a drain pipe that is full of **** and has a pressure behind it when you open up the clean out, and it gushes up and on you, there are many aspects of it that are not pleasant.

Do you or can you stand to craw under dirty nasty possibly semi flooded craw spaces to repair a pipe or line, or even to get to a clean out,

but as suggested see if you can get a job and learn some first from some one else and see what equipment you need and how to operate you lose a 100 foot 3/4" cable down in a drain and have to pay some one to get it out or even jsut lose that cable by getting it stuck, it is going to take some time to replace it money wise,

the machines are not cheap, and you will need a number of different types and sizes of machines to do a full service business,
                      one basically for sinks and small drains,
                      one for intermediate drains,
                      and a full size machine for main lines, (some have a number of different types of these larger machines, that have some diffrnet functions that will preform some jobs better),
                      you may want a jetter as well, (which is a high pressure pump that cleans with jets of water). and depending on the type of business a drain camera as well,

plus a lot of small hand tools and some manual drain cleaning tools (such as toilet auger),

and then you will need to know how and why for each type of machine, and what it abilities and limitations are.

probably the first thing you need is some experience, may be you can get a job with the blond lady, ( you may think I am trying to be funny here but it will give you some experience),
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Exactly , like the bad days , when something breaks and you need to be the plumber to fix it

Comment

Hi my name is Gary and I'm from Beirut Lebanon; for those who don't know where this is, well I guess most of you haven't heard of it coz it would be pretty weird if anyone did, it is actually somewhere at the mediterrenean sea facing Cyprus.

Anyway.. here's my story: One of my bathroom drains was clogged a few weeks ago and the whole room was flooded. As usual when there's a drain problem I called the plumber who arrived some hours later with his "equipments and toolbox" which actually was nothing more than a 2 meter piece of metal wire with a twisted end that looks pretty much like some of those fences.

Anyhow I wasn't surprised at all because that's how drain cleaning goes back here.. (some of you might wonder from which boondocks I come from but believe me its not that bad up here as it sounds. Beirut is a 1.5 Million people city and advanced in many aspects.)
                          Anyway, that poor guy went on desperately sticking that thing, his head down, into the pipe until he finally gave up and told me that he knew a woman who had some machines and can take care of the problem. I took her number, called her immediately telling her what it's about and that it's very urgent, but she said that there's no way she can come before next thursday coz things were very busy now and that she's sorry. As if it was some Medical appointement!! (never mind i'll deal with her later)

So as said, she came next week, (end 40s, dyed blonde short curly hair, not very nice to look at) with a bunch of Egyptian guys (whose salary is below 400$/month each). They did the job in less than 10 minutes while she was sitting on the patio enjoying and billed me 100$ (wages here are 2.5 times less than the States).

It surely pained a lot to pay that price, but the good thing is that it made me want to open a drain service company myself! and become a good plumber like you guys! but I have zero experience in this field because I am an Auto spare parts dealer (I've got a small company and I import some parts and thanksfully do some profits too!)

What do you think? Do I go for it? I've done a lot of researches (that's how I got here btw) and it seems very feasible; that Woman is enjoying a pure Monopoly.. By now, I've visited a lot of drain cleaning tool websites, watched some videos, and I feel that I am theoretically well acquainted with most of the machines, but what frightens me, is that I have never done this kind of job before, and I am afraid that it might be too difficult!

Buy the machines of your choice ,rod your own pipes first,go slow and go for it.
                          Kenneth Collier
                          Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                          Jackson, MS 39206
                          (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                          drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

[QUOTE]
                            Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            Are you for real?

You want to be a drain cleaner because you think we make a lot of money?

All of this based on one service call?
                            hehe yeah I want to become the legendery PLUMBER BILLIONAIRE !
                            Everyone will point at me and say "look he did it by working with poop"

No for real.. That lady is scooping the market! I've heard from many that she doesn't even bother employing the electrical water jet for less than 500$.
                            Besides giving me an appointment one week later means that shes got a pretty busy schedule!!wake up!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                              You have to learn to crawl before you learn to run. Anyone who wants to start a drain-cleaning business needs 3 things: 1) Experience 2) The tools 3) Marketing.

You don't have any of these yet. To get 1) you'll need to firstly work at a drain company for a few years and learn the trade. Then you'll have to save up enough money to buy the machine and tools (I spent over $15,000 this year on drain equipment). Then you'll need to get your name out there with some sort of marketing plan, which can also be expensive and take lots of patience.

So expect to invest at least 3 years and many thousands of dollars into it before you can even start. If you still want to pursue this path, and you ahve the patience (and the stomach), then go for it.

The most important first step is to GET A DRAIN-CLEANING JOB AND LEARN THE TRADE. If you like it after a few months, then you know you are on the right path.

Yeah, I've thought about the marketing and I guess i'll go for some aggressive advertisement strategy!
                              But why would you spend 15,000$ per year? For a start up it may be the least to invest. But you ought to have most of the tools already??

Comment

Working...
                              X