Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Ferncos be used underground pipe connection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can Ferncos be used underground pipe connection?

Well, for 1 second lets say Ferncos are not allowed by code underground (which they must be), how would you connect PVC (or ABS) to Clay pipes???? Cement the PVC into the clay with mortar?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
      vince---i use those on water mains----i thought that company went out of business----i bought 20 of each size--2"-10"-- some salesman i know told me they are out of business--i bought each one for $20----believe it or not--they are heavy and expensive--i like using them, i make lots of money
      They are now sold by Smith-Blair.I paid over $150.00 for a six bolt down one side only in 5" for the hotel.

JR.,
      Send me a list of what you got and I'll make you an offer

They just hooked up poly-orthophosphate to try and save the copper.So I know their going to need more before he lets me start repiping.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
        Well, for 1 second lets say Ferncos are not allowed by code underground (which they must be), how would you connect PVC (or ABS) to Clay pipes???? Cement the PVC into the clay with mortar?
        if i do recall, clay has a hub and spigot, right?

plastic fitting with tar, close fit?

how about PC-4 for loose fit?

Vince

don't now if i'm barking up the wrong power pole

Comment

I just did a camera job the other day. I found a section of SDR 35 had been slotted so it would give onto itself and shoved into the clay, creating a nice lip with plenty of sharp edges to catch T.P. I'm guessing that was not code!

I have always used Ferncos underground. Are they code for my area? I don't know, but I assume it is, as I always had a State or Federal inspector watching/checking my work, and they never had anything to say about it.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
            if i do recall, clay has a hub and spigot, right?
            Yes.

Whats PC-4?
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Yes, clay has a hub and spigot...filled in with brick mortar...but often times the hub is cracked and so you have to dig back 3-4 feet to the next one and try it. Also, it could break too when you try and remove the pipe. The clay pipe in Toronto is from 25 to 100 years old! When I tie PVC into clay, I just make a nice cut with a grinder concrete blade (if the pipe is not perfect to begin with), and use a Fernco-that's all.

Comment

Yes, clay has a hub and spigot...filled in with brick mortar...but often times the hub is cracked and so you have to dig back 3-4 feet to the next one and try it. Also, it could break too when you try and remove the pipe. The clay pipe in Toronto is from 25 to 100 years old! When I tie PVC into clay, I just make a nice cut with a grinder concrete blade (if the pipe is not perfect to begin with), and use a Fernco-that's all.

O.K. Chemeng your starting to confuse me.
                Whats a Chemical Engineer doing in the hole?
                You know chemicals, and know you show you've done some pipe laying.
                What gives?
                Are you a crazy pipe layer that just can't get out of the hole or do we need to contact Homeland Security about you playing with chemicals?

Comment

Naw, not crazy, just did stuff with my dad and his rentals from when I was a kid.

Comment

We will be keeping an eye on you Chemeng

I wonder what the Canadian version of Homeland security is called???

Insert joke here*******

Okie

Comment

Naw, not crazy, just did stuff with my dad and his rentals from when I was a kid.
                      I figured you for the crazy pipe layer that finally decided to get out of the hole and go to school.

I got out and started my own business.
                      I'm to beat up to handle 50-60hrs a week in the hole now, but I jump in any chance I get. I LOVE and sure do miss it at times.

Comment

I just make a nice cut with a grinder concrete blade (if the pipe is not perfect to begin with), and use a Fernco-that's all.
                        I use a snap cutter (cast cutter ) To cut clay for the fernco
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          We will be keeping an eye on you Chemeng

I wonder what the Canadian version of Homeland security is called???

Insert joke here*******

Okie
                          ANSWER HOCKEY PLAYERS Only they're tougher. GO SHARKS
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I once heard that using tar (Like the one to make a seal around storm drain restrictors) on top of a fernco adds to the seal. Lemme know what you all think though. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              Yes.

Whats PC-4?
                              it's a rope with a cement powder. it comes dry.

you soak it in water, pack it into the hub with chisels (inside/outside).

when it dries, hard as a rock.

Vince

i'll see if i can find a link

Comment

Originally posted by TheLuckyDucky View Post
                                I once heard that using tar (Like the one to make a seal around storm drain restrictors) on top of a fernco adds to the seal. Lemme know what you all think though. :P
                                Concrete and tar crack.Those hair like feeler roots can get into the smallest of separations.Unless the tar,being a petroleum product is supposed to inhibit root penetration.

Comment

Working...
                                X