Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Ferncos be used underground pipe connection?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Ferncos be used underground pipe connection?

Today, I fixed broken storm drain pipe at a supermarket. I was going to use SDR adapter to connect 4" pipe with system 15 4" ell and 4" X 3" busing to connect 3" vertical pipe.

After break concreat and found pipe was laid just above a i-beam so I could not use SDR adapter and ell.

I connected the pipes with 4" fernco but I am not sure that I can use rubber coppling with clamps under ground.

Any idea about this?

Re: Can Ferncos be used underground pipe connection?

Some do some don't.I've had to use missions(solid stainless sheeth).I have started to use a full stainless sheethed fernco lately.We'll see.

Comment

If in doubt use a Mission.Fernco's are allowed in the dirt here but I am more comfy with a mission.

Comment

We use ferncos underground but use a shear band, its a stainless steel flat band with clamps that wraps around the outside of the fernco to
        prevent movement in the joint. In the end it looks like a mission coupling. It won't work on reducing or enlarging ferncos.

Comment

I am in toronto as well. Our code allows the use of the them undergound.I have done it my self many times and have never had an issue

Comment

Like the others said a "mission clamp" would be better but personally I won't use it,

but then again if it was the only thing you can do, what can you do
            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

It's code for underground in Kentucky.

They use the fact that ground compaction keeps the connection from expanding/misaligning the two pipes together.

Put it above ground and the problems begin.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

We use them here all the time. Just have to make sure to do an extra good job with compacting underneath and at least up to the spring line. I've seen many offsets caused only by poor/lazy compaction.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i don't know if any of you guys have ever seen these.

we use them up here. it's the only thing that works on the HDPE services and mains.

http://www.robarindustries.com/Water...airClamps.html

Vince

they are pricey, but they're the cat's meow

Comment

We us those here as a repair band on water mains.
                    I've never seen them used on HDPE.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

vince---i use those on water mains----i thought that company went out of business----i bought 20 of each size--2"-10"-- some salesman i know told me they are out of business--i bought each one for $20----believe it or not--they are heavy and expensive--i like using them, i make lots of money

Comment

wow you get ripped off---i have 100 left and all are atleast the 12" long clamp

damn did i get a deal---

Comment

I see them all the time (ferncos) underground. They suck. A good 30 to 50 percent of the misaligned services I see are failing ferncos at spliced in repairs. Sadly a lot of the time they are necessary unless you want to do a bunch more digging. I put no-hub bands around them to firm them up when I have to use them. Two 2" no hub bands opened up and screwed together work nicely on a 4" fernco. The couplers Vince suggest look nice; I'll try a few.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I remember a few years ago using a 6" to 4" heavy rubber Fernco coupler to join a 6" clay to 4" PVC sewer pipe underground in front my Toronto house. 5 years later I had to move a sewer clean out off my front lawn to widen a drive way. I dug down to the sewer line (maybe 6-7 feet) and had to remove that Fernco to make alterations and I tell you it was BRAND NEW...ok it was just 5 years that had passed, but still , it was like new. Shiny stainless steel bands & clamps, and the rubber was just as flexible was when it was new...not bad for 5 years!

Comment

Originally posted by rombo View Post
                              I am in toronto as well. Our code allows the use of the them undergound.I have done it my self many times and have never had an issue
                              I am trying to find code which you said our code allows the use of ferncos underground.

Where can I find it?

I tried but I could not find in code books

Ontario Plumbing Code 1995(updated 2005)
                              National Plumbing Code 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X