X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Moen Nightmare before Christmas

Here I am, mommy of 8 with a wrench in my hand for the 12th time this year. My home came with all Moen fixtures...it was a "selling point" listed in the home's details and as a mom I thought, "great one less thing to worry about....right?".

Oh so wrong.

My kitchen nemesis has broken 8 times in the past three years since we bought the home. Things being as tight as they have been for us, I sucked it up and began reading about plumbing and have fixed it myself each time. The little pivot retainer plastic part has broken twice in three years...and the handle literally fell apart last year at Thanksgiving.

It seems my Moen faucet has problems getting through major holidays...perhaps it's seasonal depression.

Today it's pouring water out the top, but not at the bottom lower seal, which I was just sure was going to go next. It's bubbling out of the top of the column.

I have taken it apart as far as I dare to...but wanted to ask for your brilliant minds to give me some advice on what part I should buy this time to replace.

Please have mercy on this mom, now turned armchair quarterback...er plumber by necessity:P

I don't see any visible plastic rings broken or any cracks on any of the expensive little plastic things that fit down into the column.

My faucet is the One Touch Moen model number 87540W.

Big love and hugs from a soaking wet mom who needs this fixed desperately<3
    Last edited by Lanie; 12-19-2008, 08:35 PM. Reason: changed an to any (forgot the y:P)

Re: My Moen Nightmare before Christmas

If I worked for Moen, I'd send you a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanie View Post

It seems my Moen faucet has problems getting through major holidays...perhaps it's seasonal depression.

Big love and hugs from a soaking wet mom who needs this fixed desperately<3

Your patience has not paid off! Give the thing last rites!

Comment

Personally, I prefer moen to most other things in general.
        Sound slike you got the 1 in a million bad batch :P
        IMO, stick with Moen if youre going to look for new, but do yourself a favour and stop repairing because its more of a hassle to fix and fix and fix and fix in the long run.

Comment

If it is that much trouble then just rip it out and put a new faucet in. Moen is ok, but they like to use cheap, plastic parts in places that they really shouldn't. I put a Moen kitchen faucet in my house recently, because it looked really nice, and it was relatively cheap. But we'll see how long the thing lasts.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Moen strikes again. Replace the piece of crap and budget replacing every other Moen faucet in the house. They are the worst pieces of crap on the market today.
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you so very much for the goodly advice, I am very very grateful to you all. Today I called Moen and told them about the problem, to which they sold me a repair part for about 40$. I am going to fix it this time, because with Christmas so close I just can't afford the cost to buy another faucet and pay to have it installed. But, because of your advice, I have put this faucet on notice and will be replacing it once I can afford to pay for professional help. You all have helped me realize that it's a lost cause.

Normally we do our own repairs, I own a toilet snake, am not afraid to hacksaw a pipe and even go to the junkyard for parts to repair our cars. But this goes beyond my comfort zone.
              It's one thing to fix a seal, or to unclog a drain, but looking at the pipes coming out of this faucet, I think I need to get someone who really knows what they are doing.:P

With all my heart, I am so grateful for you tonight, thank you.<3

Comment

It really is a shame what appears to have happened to Moen. My home is 24 years old and still has all the builders grade Moen fixtures in it. I have only had the home for 5-1/2 years, but I have not had to touch any of them. The chrome finishes are showing their age, but no leaks of any kind, including the shower valves and even the kitchen sink. The reason I am pretty sure they are all original, is that they are identical to all the neighbors (one builder neighborhood).

Comment

Originally posted by Lanie View Post
                  Thank you so very much for the goodly advice, I am very very grateful to you all. Today I called Moen and told them about the problem, to which they sold me a repair part for about 40$. I am going to fix it this time, because with Christmas so close I just can't afford the cost to buy another faucet and pay to have it installed. But, because of your advice, I have put this faucet on notice and will be replacing it once I can afford to pay for professional help. You all have helped me realize that it's a lost cause.

Normally we do our own repairs, I own a toilet snake, am not afraid to hacksaw a pipe and even go to the junkyard for parts to repair our cars. But this goes beyond my comfort zone.
                  It's one thing to fix a seal, or to unclog a drain, but looking at the pipes coming out of this faucet, I think I need to get someone who really knows what they are doing.:P

With all my heart, I am so grateful for you tonight, thank you.<3
                  They are not supposed to sell you a part since you are the original owner. ALL parts are free. You can elect to pay for expedited shipping.

J.C.

Comment

i never paid for parts from moen---and advice------if you call moen and get a woman, hang up--serious--they never give or exchange--never---keep calling until u get a guy----a friend works in the call center here, headquarters is here, and she says the girls are tightwads and she told me to have people hang up until they get a guy!!!!!! it always works for me-----
                    i had a new customer with a 600 pullout moen faucet, and in 2 years started to leak inside---i came over, called moen, hung up on 4 women, got a man, and told him whats up and he sent a new one overnight, and said throw away old one, im sorry-------now thats cool---

heres advice also----if you buy moen from home depoop, it is made in china--if you buy moen from me, its made in usa and will never have problems---sounds like yours are from depoop
                    if you buy kohler, you are a fool

sounds fishy though, i never had moen cs try to sell me anything

Comment

Everybody has given you good advice, the Moen of yesteryear was a great product. Today's Moen with all it's plastic handle linkage and lack of engineering is now in the same whirlpool as Glacier Bay. The Moentrol shower valve is the only fixture I will purchace at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                        Everybody has given you good advice, the Moen of yesteryear was a great product. Today's Moen with all it's plastic handle linkage and lack of engineering is now in the same whirlpool as Glacier Bay. The Moentrol shower valve is the only fixture I will purchace at this time.
                        That sums up my feelings about Moen also

Comment

What you all have said about the women is odd, but accurate. It never occurred to me but that's exactly my experience too. Last time this faucet broke the gentleman dealing with me sent it for free and paid for expedited shipping due to so many problems. The two times we have called for a part and gotten ladies have been the two times we have paid. The first time that retainer thingy had to be replaced we paid almost 50$ for the part and shipping. The second time I did the call and it was free. Today it was pay, and they refused to do it otherwise, believe me we tried. I have to have this sink for the coming holiday so we also paid for the expedited. It really upsets me to find out they were supposed to give me this part for free.

Comment

lanie---i use moen only, but remember to only talk to the guys---its odd, but effective, and when a friend at moen tells me to also, i think ill stick to it---also remember that home depot moen is made overseas, if you have a supply house around that sells to public, you will get the quality made in USA product

sorry to hear about ur experience, but now you know how to approach in the future good luck

Comment

I have put in a million Moen faucets, with over one million satisfied customers. If it is leaking from the top, the only possible leak is coming from the cartridge. This can be purchased almost anywhere for $20 and is a very easy change. Even if you have to buy the cartridge puller, that is only an additional $15. Probably a good investment for anyone that owns a Moen faucet. The faucet probably comes with the 1225 plastic cartridge.
                              Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 12-20-2008, 02:00 PM.
                              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
                              X