Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about installing new hose bib.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about installing new hose bib.

I have a leaky hose bib and would like to replace. The current setup: about 2 1/2 inches of ¾ in. copper pipe protruding from stucco wall with a coupling and a brass bib sweated on the coupling.

Questions:

1.) What is the best replacement setup, the same or male threaded fitting with brass female bib or female threaded fitting and male brass bib?
    2.) How do you make sure the bib lines up correctly after threaded on? Tighten the bib onto the fitting, mark it, remove it, and then sweat the fitting onto the pipe?
    3.) I’ve done some sweating before, but I’m no expert. Is it best to use propane or mapp? I’ve sweat copper with propane and had no problems. When sweating brass to copper I’ve had problems.

Thx much

Oscar

Re: Questions about installing new hose bib.

The best solution is to cut off or unsweat the current hose bib and coupling. Install a 3/4" male adapter. Wrap the male adapter with teflon tape and tighten until the hose bib is adequately tight and facing in the direction you choose. Propane will be fine for any soldering you wish to do. Oh, by the way, don't burn your house down. If you have any doubts this would not be much work for an experienced plumber, plus give you a chance to set up a good working relationship with someone in your area, so when a real emergency arises, you will know just who to call.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the warning. When working close to framing in the walls, I usually lay a small wet strip of towel around the pipe to keep the heat from starting a fire inside the wall.

Thx

Oscar

Comment

Always sweat on a female or male adaptor (your choice depending on the bib you buy)...never sweat directly onto the bib because when you have to replace the bib the next time (in 5-10 years) you would have to re-sweat again. With an adaptor , just unscrew, tape, and put the new bibb on...fast and simple! Set yourself up good for the future!

Comment

Working...
        X