X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Master plumber?

Just curious, I hear people referred to as Master Plumbers or Master Carpenters. How does one become a Master? Is it though experience or time or do you have to take test?

Not trying to become one, just always been curious how this whole naming thing works.

Re: What is a Master plumber?

It tends to vary by location, for instance, in Springfield Missouri you have to have 4 years experience to take the test to become a Journeyman Plumber, then another 4 years as a Journeyman to take the Masters test.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Do something 10 times and you can say that you've done it.
      Do something 100 times and you can say you know how to do it.
      Do something 1,000 times and you can say you are good at it.
      Do something 10,000 times and you can call yourself a Master.

Comment

The State of New Hampshire has decided in thier ultimate wisdom that after a 4 year apprenticeship the candidate may take and hopefully pass the journeymans test. Then, after a 6 month wait he may take the masters exam. Unfortunatly in NH a masters license doesn't mean a hell of a lot anymore. If you're hiring one look for a low number.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
          Just curious, I hear people referred to as Master Plumbers or Master Carpenters. How does one become a Master? Is it though experience or time or do you have to take test?

Not trying to become one, just always been curious how this whole naming thing works.

"Master plumber"
          means a person who assumes responsible charge,
          supervision, or direction of journeyman plumbers, plumbers' apprentices,
          and other persons in the construction, installation, or alteration of
          plumbing or who engages in, offers to engage in, or advertises or
          otherwise represents that he is permitted or qualified to engage in the
          design, planning, superintending, contracting for, or responsible charge of

plumbing.

In the profession of plumbing, I believe everyone wants to "go to the top" and "Master Plumber" is the highest you can go.

When you walk into a customer's home and you've been doing plumbing for a number of years, got the gray hair to prove it, people indirectly assume you're a Master Plumber.

I use my Master's license more for advertising purposes than anything. I wouldn't want to do plumbing and "not" further my education. People expect the rhetoric from my mouth to be from a trained individual that has 1000's of experiences that mold the interpretation of code, the reliabilities of products, the causes and conditions of plumbing systems and the guarantee that you shouldn't be second guessed, given your level of knowledge.

Anyone that has the ability to get their Master's in the state they reside in and don't? Something really wrong with that thinking. I don't buy the reasoning that "I don't need it for my work". That's BS and why hold back, unless you truly aren't capable of the title.

Ask Joe the Plumber how easily his name was tarnished, how many videos of poor taste towards plumbers he became a punching bag to. It's all about accountability and you either have it or you don't.

I wish every state had the Master's license available, with that test being very difficult to pass. Puts the recognition up there for a dedicated few.

Plus when we make a mistake, we can blame an apprentice or journeyman without taking any heat.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

out here a contractor is the same as a master.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Think of it like becoming a Jedi.
              Darth vader got his Master plumbing license, went out on his own and eventually he stumbled into his old plumbing boss and told him,
              “I’ve been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, carrying your tools and stuff; now I am the master.”
              Then they went to the Ridgid round-up to prove who was really the master of the light-sabre-cable-machine.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Now in regards to contractor's license and the termage "Master Plumber",

are you allowed by definition/legality to advertise/promote that word in states that don't have that title?

I'd say your competition would pick that up real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  Now in regards to contractor's license and the termage "Master Plumber",

are you allowed by definition/legality to advertise/promote that word in states that don't have that title?

I'd say your competition would pick that up real quick.
                  In my neck of CA we have Master Plumbers, Master Electricians, Master HVAC Technicians, Master Carpenters, etc... You can call yourself anything you want as long as you state the contractors license number at the end of the commercial.
                  spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                    In my neck of CA we have Master Plumbers, Master Electricians, Master HVAC Technicians, Master Carpenters, etc... You can call yourself anything you want as long as you state the contractors license number at the end of the commercial.

So, in different parts of CA there isn't Master Plumbers......since you're stating that in some areas there are and aren't. ?

I guess with CA being such a large state that it can go that way. You can fit KY in that state 5 times.

Comment

So, in different parts of CA there isn't Master Plumbers......since you're stating that in some areas there are and aren't. ?

I guess with CA being such a large state that it can go that way. You can fit KY in that state 5 times.
                      The term Master really doesn't have any implication in California. We have contractors, journeyman ,apprentices & tradesman:

A C-36 plumbing specialty Contractor is as close as we get to the Master Plumber that you know. To become a C36 contractor you work in the trade for four years, submit an application/affidavid of your experience, take a contractors law exam and a trade exam... and your in. Not real impressive.

The term journeyman ,apprentice, tradesman are only required/used for public works jobs and/or if you are in the plumbers and steamfitters union.

Anyone else working in the plumbing/hvac/electrical trade can call themselves anything they want. Kind of sad really
                      spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

dunbar, you missed spodelee's point. as long as the contractors license is posted, you can call yourself anything

california falls under the contractors state license board.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

If you dont have a license , like some people on this forum what do you call them?

Comment

So, in different parts of CA there isn't Master Plumbers
                            Missouri only has select cities with any sort of licensing, Most of the state you can go into business with no license at all. And none of those cities accept the other cities licenses that i'm aware of. Where I live it's all IPC, I've always made the uninformed assumption that most of the state is IPC. Though, to be honest most of the inspectors only know enough to make sure the pipes are strapped.

And in Springfield some of them will fail a longsweep on it's side, they want 2 45's with 2 pipe diameters of pipe in between them. "i'm ready to club them with a code book"
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by goob View Post
                              If you dont have a license , like some people on this forum what do you call them?
                              I usually default to "Apprentice" makes me real popular at the supply house. But, I can't stand the idea of someone working in this field and not wanting to improve their position, and that License is the first step in improving yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X