X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardian back up sump

I'm very interested in the Guardian water driven back up system made by AY McDonald. Saw a piece on This Old House on it recently. I also need to replace my existing sump pump. The local plumbing contractor I spoke with told me the whole job would run me 1800-2000. This is for a Zoeller pump, Guardian back up and 6-7 hrs labor at $150 hr. Am I in the right ballpark here? 2G's seems like a lot of cash for this job. Also, the water line and the sump pit are about 2 feet apart.

Also, the Guardian has an MSRP of $599. Are there other water driven pumps that are more reasonable? I don't want some plastic piece of junk though.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Guardian back up sump

Get a generator instead of the water driven pump and depending on the type of heat you have you can possibly run that.

Comment

Careful. A water driven pump can be a source for cross contamination. Prices are so subjective from area to area that's it's impossible to tell you if their price is good.

Ask friends what licensed tradesmen they've used in the past & if they were satisfied. Basically, recommendations are usually a good place to start.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
        Get a generator instead of the water driven pump and depending on the type of heat you have you can possibly run that.
        I travel a lot for work and I'm often not home to rely on a generator or a battery back-up. That's why I'm interested in the water driven pump.

Comment

water driven backups are illegal here and a friend showed me a letter from epa head agreeing that they are dangerous----he works for epa and says just a matter of time until they are illegal everywhere----
          b4 you install this, think of this----would you want to drink water out of the sump crock???? it is possible------and if you think a backflow (rp) will protect, u r wrong----for that hazard, only air gap is approved and how you gonna make it work

i have ripped many out here , and when i tell client why they say get it out--- they are junk

Comment

get a zoeller m 53 primary and 507 battery backup with aquanot battery---best on market---never had a flood on any and i install many of these----please dont waste your time with water backup--------i install this combo for 1100 out the door

try to call your local plumbing inspector and ask what is approved

Comment

Do you live in Chicago , or a rural area. (well or cisturn for potable supply)

Comment

Properly installed, with the correct backfow preventor, there is no contamination risk. Having the contractor obtain a permit and inspection will assure you of a safe installation. They are legal in this area and approved by inspectors.

A homeowner or handyman installation would not assure the correct installation. That pricing sounds about right for the work and equipment.

Batteries run out of energy after a few hours, then you are back to nothing!

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice and opinions. I did go with the water driven system. Nice knowing I'm covered even when nobody's home to set up generator or worrying about a battery back up going dead. Worth the extra $ to me.

Comment

Two problems to be aware of: We have had our Guardian pump installed for over 5 years. The first problem is that sometimes the rise in water does not raise the float, so the Guardian does not run. This may be an adjustment problem or not. Second, it is recommended that the Guardian pump have its own exit water line, and not be tied into that of an existing electric pump. If the check valve to the electric pump fails, and the Guardian operates, its effluent water does not exit, but goes back thru the electric pump check valve. So you wind up having the water supply that operated the Guardian flowing back into the sump crock, filling the crock, and filling the basement, with nothing to stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by fly26 View Post
                      I'm very interested in the Guardian water driven back up system made by AY McDonald. Saw a piece on This Old House on it recently. I also need to replace my existing sump pump. The local plumbing contractor I spoke with told me the whole job would run me 1800-2000. This is for a Zoeller pump, Guardian back up and 6-7 hrs labor at $150 hr. Am I in the right ballpark here? 2G's seems like a lot of cash for this job. Also, the water line and the sump pit are about 2 feet apart.

Also, the Guardian has an MSRP of $599. Are there other water driven pumps that are more reasonable? I don't want some plastic piece of junk though.

Thanks for any advice.
                      A Guardian pump has many more brass pieces than the plastic Liberty version, is generally more durable, but pumps slower than the Liberty. The Guardian may MSRP for $599 but rarely does MSRP mean anything in real life. The 'S' is "suggested" remember?

No matter what backup you choose:

- a backflow prevention device is suggested, and may be mandatory in some areas
                      - the backup requires its own outflow line (do not tee into the sump pump line)
                      - a pressure reducing valve may be needed to maintain less than 100 PSI

If I were to quote a Hydromatic WA-1 pump, Liberty SJ-10 backup with my main water line 2 feet away, and new dedicated backup drain it would be $850. Non-taxable, capital improvement, installed. I live in upstate NY.

P.S. The Liberty is more durable than you think, even though it is plastic.
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                      X