Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No water for the holidays-well electrical breaker tripping.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No water for the holidays-well electrical breaker tripping.

Electrical breaker for our well keeps tripping and we therefore have no running water. It trips 2-5 seconds after we reset it. It is an underground pump and the electrical box is in the house and it is on own circuit.

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Re: No water for the holidays-well electrical breaker tripping.

"Carefully" switch breakers in the panel from another circuit to see if the breaker holds.

If it doesn't, that pushes the problem to the pump.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

If that does'nt work you may have an underground fault between
      the house and where it leeds into the well casing.And as dunbar says.

Comment

Electrical breakers have a lifespan. Change it out for starters
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks so much! We will see what we can do with trouble shooting the breaker as suggested. Sounds dangerous with no electrical experience....

Comment

Originally posted by dchampion View Post
            Thanks so much! We will see what we can do with trouble shooting the breaker as suggested. Sounds dangerous with no electrical experience....
            Yes, it would be, try to enlist some help from a friend with electrical knowledge if you can't get an electrician.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by dchampion View Post
              The odds are 1 in 1000 that the problem is the breaker. If you do not have electrical experience then do not attempt anything. Invest your energies instead in arranging for temporary water and finding a qualified professional that can help.

Then use this occassion to educate yourself on basic electrical in a home. Then you will be better prepared to repair an electrical problem yourself the next time you have a breaker tripping problem.
              spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

I read this years ago on the electrical forum. Breakers are rated to trip 7 times before
                they fail . Although, this isn't the norm.

From what You said ,You should call call an Electricion or well Contr.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Shouldn't be the breaker. Has this recently been worked on or replaced?

J.C.

Comment

I'll put my money on needing a new pump. Any direct short would cause the circuit to trip immediately.
                    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      I read this years ago on the electrical forum. Breakers are rated to trip 7 times before
                      they fail . Although, this isn't the norm.

From what You said ,You should call call an Electricion or well Contr.
                      I have never heard this one. I have not tested MCB (molded case breakers) myself but I have worked with many who do, and I have never heard of anything like this.

Do you remember which forum you were on that said a MCB will fail on average after 7 trips?
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        I have never heard this one. I have not tested MCB (molded case breakers) myself but I have worked with many who do, and I have never heard of anything like this.

Do you remember which forum you were on that said a MCB will fail on average after 7 trips?
                        I suspect breaker failure is dependent on the design of the breaker, what kind of overcurrent it is exposed to and at what voltage. Don't know about you, but I've seen breakers fail after one overcurrent event, and others are used as on/off switches for 30 years with 3 or 4 overcurrent events along the way, but never seem to fail.
                        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Every time the pump turns on it causes torque. Even with torque arresters installed properly the pump will cause some movement. If the wire is touching the well casing, eventually it will wear through and cause it to short/trip the breaker. If this is the case you will need to pull the pump to repair the wire.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

Hi Bob About 3 yrs. ago here Electrical knowledge Repository Here's one from DEMBONES, nfpa 70 E If a breaker interrupts current at or near it's aic 7 times breaker to be repaired or replaced. May have been in white book. More may follow,Tool

I will go there and ask for confirmation on this Tool
                            Last edited by toolaholic; 12-27-2008, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I think one of us knows how to help but once again....disappearing poster.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X