X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting PVC to poly pipe

Had a leak in the front yard between the meter and the house. Nice Christmas eve repair projrect. Found a crack in the 3/4 " poly (black flexible) about 4 feet from the meter. Pipe is down about 18 " (coastal South Carolina so no frost issues). Cut it out from the meter toward the house and use 3/4 " PVC starting at the meter (threaded connection) and connected to the poly past the crack. To connect the PVC to poly I used a PVC compression union. Seals fine to the PVC but I have a small leak at the poly. I have the hole open and would like to make a better repair. Is there a better method (or approved method) to connect PVC to poly. I was wondering about a nylon barbed inert with a SS clamp for the poly with pipe threads to a female adapter for the PVC. When I can get some one in with a back hoe I will replace the line all the way to the house. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: Connecting PVC to poly pipe

If you are going for a barbed insert I would use a brass one if you can find one. The nylon one will work in a pinch until you have a complete replacement.

You were looking for something to do this weekend anyways, right?

Comment

There are a lot of poly pipes so it is important to try and identify the poly you are working with. Here they installed a bunch of 1" poly with nylon barbed fittings. The problem is the nylon fittings snap with time. Instead of using the barb fittings we replaced it with a low-zinc brass barbed fitting. Of course the better repair would be to replace the poly with something more reliable rather than doing a repair.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

down the road when it's time to replace. see if you can find someone with a pipe slicer. it's a slitting wedge that you pull through the line with a cable and winch or back hoe. it will slice the poly and pull in either pex or soft copper, all at the same time

look at the "wheeler rex" site for more info.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I've always used ss barbed inserts with the hex shoulders. Is the brass a better option?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I would use the stainless if you can get them, will never have to worry about them again. I have put the in before and had to warm the black poly pipe with a torch or heat gun to get the barb installed. Use two hose clamps on the barbed section.

G3

Comment

rjniles, can you please expand on your description of the PVC compression union?

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                rjniles, can you please expand on your description of the PVC compression union?

PVC body, PVC nuts each end, rubber compression washer on each side.

Comment

I'm gonna' guess you are talking about polyethylene "black roll" pipe. You should be able to get a barbed brass adapter that works fine for a long time. Teflon & dope on the PVC end-then attach the adapter. Heat the poly with a torch, push onto the fitting, put the clamps on it, and test. Make sure the nuts on the clamps are facing up. Backfill and tamp. No rocks around pipe.

The compression fitting you installed should be considered temporary and will fail much sooner than the installation I describe.

Good luck. Post back. Pictures please.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                    I would use the stainless if you can get them, will never have to worry about them again. I have put the in before and had to warm the black poly pipe with a torch or heat gun to get the barb installed. Use two hose clamps on the barbed section.

G3
                    Thats how we do it here but I use the brass barbed insert and warm the black poly pipe with a torch then I use Teflon pipe dope and two hose clamps on the barbed fitting.
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Just make sure when you install the hose clamps that the screws are on opposite sides of the pipe. If they are sitting side by side then there is a greater chance of developing a leak near the screw connection. Does this make any sense?
                      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Brass air fittings

Now that is a lot of brass air fittings http://www.liangdianup.com/subpages/airfitting_1.htm there is just about every type
                        of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I
                        used some of the parts to make my babington wvo burner.

Comment

Working...
                        X