Help w/New Deep Well Pump Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help w/New Deep Well Pump Install

Thank you. I didn't think I could with the multi meter. Hard rains have been coming through all night, just ended for awhile...was waiting for that and basically the final answer you just posted. I agree with you as well. Whew, ok....here we go. Yes, if I wasn't doing it myself, it wouldn't be getting done, that is for sure.
    sigpicTim

Comment

Try by-passing the switch a quick and simple test, the switch will not be needed if the pump piping is open ended (no way to build pressure on the pump piping). If you have a disconnect in the well house this can be done with ease with a couple of wire nuts.

You say the contacts are burnt on the one side, and your meter shows 110 vac on each side, but that does not mean it will let enough amps to pass through the contact to make the pump run. If you are in a jam, you might try to clean up the contact points with a points file or emory cloth.

I would not think the pump is DOA out of the box but have seen it with other items.

Good luck with it and I hope you don't have to pull that pump.

G3

Comment

I have never seen a pressure switch cause a problem. Typically either they work or don't work. I have seen them get corroded to a point where they make intermittent contact, causing a pump to turn on sporatically. It is so quick that I would probably try bypassing the pressure switch before pulling. Good answer G3. Just be glad you are in GA and not in MI trying to do it in single digit temperatures. Or even worse yet, up with Vince in the Arctic.
        Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 12-28-2008, 10:36 AM.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Forget the pressure switch. You've got wire problems. You've proven to have power to the well head. You've proven that you DO NOT have continuity in the wiring. Sorry to tell you but fiddling with the pressure switch or breaker isn't going to do it. You've already tested to show them to be working. I'm betting you didn't spring for the new wire. Gonna' have too now. Even if you are able to find the break and repair it, probably will give you another problem. Don't want to pull it a third time do you?

While you have it out, you triple check everything. EVEN THE PUMP MODEL.

Good luck.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Just checking before going out. Ok, will try the switch bypass 1st. Thanks all. Yes, 20 degrees last week, near 60 today.

No, no continuity, so no shorts between the wiring.
            sigpicTim

Comment

Now what do you recommend for CCTV on a truck?

(You can reply after you get the pump running)

J.C.

Comment

After going back and re-reading your original post, you say it is a two wire pump (these are 110 vac) and it did not require a motor control box.

Hope you did not purchase a 110 vac pump and put 220 vac to it some how. If that is the case you may have let the factory installed smoke out of the pump, and that cigar will not put it back in, lol.

You also said you added another check valve, is it in the correct way?? easy to turn them around wrong, don't ask how I know.

One other thing, what exactly happened to to the first pump? What made you think the pump itself was bad and not the wire, switch or a splice. If the first pump hade a motor controler on it with a capacitor inside, my bet would have been the capacitor bad.

Just wondering.

G3

Comment

6 year old pump? Not a very long life I wonder if it's not something else.

I'm curious as to how you pulled the pump.
                  I was cheap and didn't want to hire a truck to pull my 300'+.
                  I used a friend and a four wheeler. Believe me I understand your hesitation to pull it again.

Next time I will hire a truck or build an apparatus out of a car rim. Come to think or it that will make a good winter project.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Lighting got my moms pump a couple of years ago and was going to have to pull it up. About 150' of one inch galv. pipe. The pump had lasted almost 40 years with no problems. Was going to use the boom pole on the tractor and a come-a-long. Found an outfit down the road that gave a price to pull old pump, put in new pump, new pvc pipe, new wire and write big bill for the insurance co. Total cost was about $1,300 and had it done in about four hours.

Best little invention I had ever seen to pull the piping out. It looked like a metal frame about 2' in a cube shape. inside the frame was three wheel-barrow wheels that came together in the center of the frame. One was fixed on a spindle to just spin, one was fixed on an axle which was connected to a gear reduction unit and motor, and the last one was fixed to a spindle that was movable and had a small bottle jack behind it to apply pressure.

Now the pump piping was raised up into the center of the three wheels and pressure applied from the bottle jack to hold the pipe, bump the motor and the pipe would raise straight up out of the well casing. When it got to the first pipe coupling it was unscrewed and the length of pipe tossed out of the way, bump the motor again and up would come more pipe.

Put all of the new pvc together with wire and pump and lowered it into the well the same way witht the exception that the new pvc was altogether in one piece.

Wish i had take a picture of that little rig.

G3

Comment

What do you think happened to the OP?

Comment

I think he hooked 220 to a 110 pump. Fried the pump and himself
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I do not know what the static water level is, but the pump is only rated for 300 foot if it is the one horse power model(FP 2232) , and if it is less it is rated for less depth?

it will have to run for close to 2 to 3 Min's to pump water out of the pipe at that depth.

Is the pump running one should be able to hear it if put ear up to well casing or the pipe?

Is it in the water table?

Glen If it was the 110 volt model more than likely it would not even put water at that depth, even with out resistance, as it is only rated for 150 feet of depth.

on 220 volts there is no neutral wire, (unless there is a need to have 110 volts at the appliance as well) there is the green ground wire tho,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post

Glen If it was the 110 volt model more than likely it would not even put water at that depth, even with out resistance, as it is only rated for 150 feet of depth.

on 220 volts there is no neutral wire, (unless there is a need to have 110 volts at the appliance as well) there is the green ground wire tho,
                            I'm assuming you meant Gene.
                            If so, I was just playing around. I hate when someone comes on to ask just enough to really get you interested then just disappears.
                            I don't know nearly enough about wells so I love when people "ask the pros" about them. It gives me a chance to troubleshoot a "real" problem.
                            Then they just disappear?? I hate that. It's a good opportunity to learn if the OP would only let us know the final out come.

Comment

yes Gene sorry jsut miss typed there, dyslexic fingers I guess, and combine that with my dyslexic eyes, some things do not come typed out as they should, again Sorry.

yes I would like to know what he found out as well,

here is the info page on the pumps themselves, (from the manual URL)
                              http://www.flotecpump.com/pdf/Pg_42_2006.pdf
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                                yes Gene sorry jsut miss typed there, dyslexic fingers I guess, and combine that with my dyslexic eyes, some things do not come typed out as they should, again Sorry.

yes I would like to know what he found out as well,

here is the info page on the pumps themselves, (from the manual URL)
                                http://www.flotecpump.com/pdf/Pg_42_2006.pdf
                                No biggie with the name thing, I've been called a he11 of a lot worse.
                                I wish this guy would come back on, 'cause I'd like to know what happened. ???

I like your idea of low water table.

He mentioned the temps were quite low, is it possible his line was just frozen??

Did he wire something up wrong??

Did he miss something sooo easy, he is ashamed to come on and tell us the mistake?

It's like, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know!

Comment

Working...
                                X