X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/New Deep Well Pump Install

I just installed a new deep well submerged pump (Flotec 2-wire model, same as what I took out) Link takes you to owner's/install manual.

I went to test the pump and flow any dirty water, etc at the well head before connecting to the piping running to the house.

On page 3 of the manual, it states that there are (3) wires (leads) to the pump motor which are (Red/Black/Green) Well, there were not, they were Black/Black/Green, excatly the same as on the old pump I pulled out. Doesn't make sense...no polarity? Well, nothing is happening, no water, no air being pushed out, nothing. I have checked all circuits, getting 230VAC at the pressure switch and the quick disonnect box. (no control box required for this model) I had power switched on for 1-2 minutes. Do I need to apply power longer? The pump is 350' down and connected to 1" 160PSI hose/pipe.

Any ideas before I have to decide to pull this 350' deep pump back out of the well at daybreak tomorrow morning?

thank you!
    sigpicTim

Re: Help w/New Deep Well Pump Install

Test the wires in the well for continuity.

J.C.

Comment

Meaning...disconnect the splice at the well, placing my meter on the wire feeding down for continuity? ie. shorts, etc? When we flip the breaker, it doesn't trip.

Why would the pump have (2) black leads? How does it decipher which is the hot and the neutral coming from the power supply?

Thank you
      sigpicTim

Comment

Disconnect the connection at the top of the well and test the wires in the well and report back. Don't worry about the black leads.

P.S. Hope you stay around. We've all had something stolen at one time or the other.

J.C.

Comment

The pump likely doesn't care about polarity. Check the amp draw. If it's pulling the proper amps it should be pumping water. 350' is pretty damn deep.

I'll bet next time you'll check it before stuffing it back down the hole.

Comment

Thanks guys. Ok, will go out now, undo all of my pretty splice work and check the wires for continuity, will report back...might be a bit before I do though.

Ahem.....yes....will check next time before dropping. Yes, very deep. I'm not sure how to check the amp draw.

Also, checked the wire while it was outside to make sure there were no nicks/cuts, etc.

But, if there was continuity, wouldn't the breaker trip? (I'm a Low Voltage guy )

Ok, won't worry about the black leads/polarity. Just confused me quite a bit due to the manual stating that there were Red & Black motor leads.

Also, going to hit the power again...maybe i did not wait long enough....is pretty deep.

Yes, will definatley stay around, looks like some good forums here.

Thanks!
            sigpicTim

Comment

Gents:

Ok, flipped the power to the pump again for approx. 2.5 minutes, nothing came out of my temporary discharge pipe at the well. I blew some cigar smoke inside the pipe, hence if the water was being pumped, even very slowly, I should have seen the smoke disperse out of the pipe with the air being pushed out.

Next, I cut my splice, had the power applied again and checked my voltage through the splice...all well there with a reading of 234 VAC.

Next, checked for continuity through all wires that leads down to the pump. No continuity found.

Conclusion....I am going to have to pull the pump again unless you can think of anything else. I hate it, will need to get up by sunrise and get on it by 9am EST.

My thoughts:

1) Bad pump out of the box
              2) Bad splice at the pump
              3) Faulty check valve (pump has one built in at the pump discharge)
              4) Damaged wire while laying pump (although we were very careful)

Even though there is a built in check valve in the pump (and looked quite feeble,,,plastic) I bought a brass check valve to install at the well head. Will it hurt installing a 2nd one or bad idea? I was told to install one but want to check with you pro's on that 1st.

Oh, I did not check (test) pump before lowering it because I had no means of doing so, the other end of the wire was 300' away from the splice point at the well. So, only way I can do it is to feed that wire all the way out of the pipe run and out of the spacers, etc. back to the splice point to temporarily connect to power supply.

Thanks for reading guys, I know it's long but I like to include as many details for you rather than not.
              Last edited by NGSP2008; 12-28-2008, 02:36 AM.
              sigpicTim

Comment

The two black wires coming from the house are irrelevant how they are hooked to the red and black leads on the pump. Both of the black lines are carrying 110V resulting in 220V between the two black leads and 110V between each of the black wires and the green ground. I have a feeling the problem is where you made the splice / heat shrink connection at the pump. Always make a large circle out of the 1" poly pipe and connect the electrical connections to make sure the pump is spinning when voltage is applied before lowering it into the well. This saves you the headache of worrying about whether or not your wire connections are making good contact. Just make sure your wire connections are soldered (don't even think about crimping) and heat shrunk. Leave yourself a couple of extra feet of wire near the pump end for possible future repairs. Just make sure everything is taped up well with electrical tape to prevent any rubbing as the pump is lowered in the well casing.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Question about the pressure switch itself. The points on one side of the pressure switch look kinda of fried, about half way gone and black...but obviously still passing power all the way to the well. BUT, could this drop amps or something?? The points on the right side are nice and clean.

Problem with making a large circle in the 1" poly was length vs. room to do so. We live in the mountains and this thing was layed out very far. i understand your point though.

Thanks for explaining the black leads, etc. now it makes sense.

Yes, they are crimped butt splices that came as a heat shrink kit I found in the well section at Home Depot. I heat shrinked them very carefully.

I also taped the wiring along the 1" poly at 10 foot intervals, so that no slack would bounce around.

I have about 10' of slack neatly coiled and secured of the suppply wire at the well head for future repairs.

I am now leaning towards the pressure switch being the culprit, I am hoping & praying that you guys tell me with the left side points looking like that will cause some sort of problem...maybe a drop in amps even though I am still seeing the 230VAC on my multimeter.

Oh, how I do not want to pull that pump in the morning...sheesh, already 2am here. I need to rest and see if what replies may have come in after waking. Thanks so much everyone!
                  sigpicTim

Comment

I do not believe the culprit is the pressure switch. If you are getting 240V to the well head then the pump should be pumping. Most of the wells here are between 60 and 100'. Is your pump capable of pumping the depth of the well? I would buy another splice kit and solder the crimp butt connectors, then heat shrink. My $ is on one of those crimp connectors has come loose.

Comment

I was hoping for a different answer. But, yes, the pump is the same exact Flotec model that was in there originally, just 6 years newer model. The original did great. Not only over 300' deep, but then another 300' of pipe to the house.

Not disagreeing with you, but I do not see how it could come loose. They are very well protected the way I did my connections. They are butt spliced, heat shinked, then each individual splice wrapped with #33 electrical tape (4 tight layers) and then all bundeled together within the torque arrestor. But, there of course is always that chance.

Guess, I will have to pull the pump. But, I may bypass the switch just to see if anything changes.

Just getting very frustrating, no water since Monday night...amongst another ordeal that about took everything out of me and my wife. I need sleep.
                      sigpicTim

Comment

When you replaced the pump you did replace the wire also didn't you? Better than 1/2 of all submersible pumb problems have to do with broken or bad wiring at the pump.

If the Flow-Teck is a 240V model it has no neutral wire. Both black wires are hot ( 120V each wire ), the green is a ground. When connected the pump should be pulling between 6 and 9 amps running. if you get nothing on the amp probe then you have a bad connection somewhere. You can check continuity through the pressure switch by testing for 120V at each side of the contacts.
                        sigpic

Comment

A bit more advice that you probably won't take but I'll give it anyway. Return the Flow-Teck and get a decent pump, Goulds, F&W, Grundfos almost anything but that Home Depot crap. You will be lucky to get 5 years out of it.
                          sigpic

Comment

When checking the VAC at the switch I get 230. No, I did not replace the wire, it's a very high grade submersible pump wire and all looked fine. Plus, I have already spent alot of funds that I just don't have. Yes, understand, the Flotec that was in there lasted 6 years, but I have no other choice.

I don't have an amp probe. Can I use the multimeter some how?
                            Last edited by NGSP2008; 12-28-2008, 11:12 AM.
                            sigpicTim

Comment

There is no way to test for amp draw with only a multimeter. However, you are going to have to trust me on this one. If there is 240V at the well head and you are not getting water and cannot hear the pump spinning, there are only two possible things wrong. Either there is a loose connection / break in the wiring to the pump, or the pump is defective from the manufacturer. Either way this sucker has to be pulled again. I know its not what you wanted to hear, but just think of the $1500 you saved by doing it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X