Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I keep PVC cement from drying out once the can is opened?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I keep PVC cement from drying out once the can is opened?

Is there a trick to prevent PVC cement from drying out, once the can is opened? I tried inverting the can and that didn't work.

Re: How do I keep PVC cement from drying out once the can is opened?

Originally posted by RoseRx View Post
    Is there a trick to prevent PVC cement from drying out, once the can is opened? I tried inverting the can and that didn't work.
    Cement is cheap so try to buy the size can you need and throw out the rest when it goes bad. Too many people try to use old glue and have nothing but problems.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rick,

You are probably right. I just need to buy 2 small cans and keep an unused one in reserve.

Comment

Rick,

You are probably right. I just need to buy 2 small cans and keep an unused one in reserve.
        Keep in mind unopened cans have a shelf life of 1-3 years from DATE OF MANUFACTURING.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

store the can up side down, when the cap has liquid it can not leak the solvent near as easly as with the cap up,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Ahhh the old boogers in the can routine.... Buy a new can.
            sigpic

Comment

By the right sized can, Its the same with everything in life,

You buy to much meat it will go bad, buy to much cookies, they get stale.

Just by the smaller can if you are doing a small job

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post

Not around here... it's more like "buy too many cookies, you get FAT!
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

It's not worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by slimtim View Post
                    not around here... It's more like "buy too many cookies, you get fat!

lmao !

Comment

Rick,

rose, i would like to take credit for the answer, but mark is having a fit that you acknowledged me and not him

i basically agreed with him by thanking him

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post

nothing wrong with to much cookies or to much "meat"

Comment

Put the cap back on.

J.C.

Comment

Actually, once the cement starts to gel where it's no longer good for piping, it's perfect for huffing and killing off those pesky brain cells! But in all seriousness, Mark and Rick are right; once it starts to gel or gets hard to work with, it's not worth the headaches of leaks to save some money. True with PVC cement, even moreso with Flowguard gold CPVC cement. That stuff starts to thicken just by looking at the can. And if you don't use it often, it doesn't have a long shelf life.. Like fresh baked cookies

Comment

Just remember that the glue is the only thing between you and a leak.

Chunk that old can and get fresh glue, it's cheaper than two couplings and a 90, and everybody pointing at you.............the leaky plumber.

G3

Comment

Working...
                              X