X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mickjorr

I'm quickly going crazy trying to figure out what kind of gas water heater to install in my basement. I had an energy audit and the guy said I need to install either a direct vent, power vent tank or tankless water heater. Because I have an old house with 1/2" water I was told I can't use an on demand water system and would have to use a tank. Now I heard from a number of people that power vents are noisey. Noisey where? Inside our outside. How noisey? Like a hair dryer? What? I don't want to install it if it's going to be that noticible. Help! I need a quick answer. Thanks, Mick

Re: Mickjorr

i would say it is not as loud as a hair dryer on low unless the fan is going bad
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Talk to Tankless. Tankless , you out there?

Comment

My power vents, both HW tank and Furnace are extremely quiet. A little maintenance each year, no biggy, works great for me. I took out my chimney, because that was even more maintenance.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

What type of water heater do you have currently? Electric? Regular flue gas?

Comment

Right now I have a 50 gal Gas water heater that I need to replace. It's hooked up directly to the chimney. My auditor said that's not good enough. Mick

Comment

Is it a masonry chimney? Is that why your auditor said that's not good enough? Natural gas will produce a ton of water when burned, this water will eventually destroy a chimney, especially if it doesn't have a clay liner (just bricks). Stainless steel flexible chimney liner will fix that problem (in Toronto) and you can use a regular gas water heater (maybe even keep the one you have currently). Check with your auditor about a liner.

Comment

Actually, it has to do with I'm sealing up my house and he is thinking I'm going to blow back because of negative pressure. That's why he wants me to put in a power vent or tankless water heater. But I can't put in an on demand heater because of my 1/2" water supply. The boiler is connected to the chimney and is working properly. It's just the water heater that needs to be replaced.

Comment

Hmmm...sounds kinda bizarre to me...if the boiler is working ok in that chimney....in any event ....let's see what others say.

Did you get a second opinion from another gas installer?

Comment

If you have a boiler then look into an indirect water heater, Super-Stor or Amtrol are what we use but there are many others.
                    sigpic

Comment

Mick,

Some powervent water heaters are noisey for sure. If the auditor is telling you to replace the tank just to lower the air infiltration that's a bunch of crap. For that reason why not change the boiler too?

You can get a PV heater that brings in combustion air but not really worth the extra expence IMO unless you are already having negative pressure issues. Besides, wall termination kits are always ugly.

Listen to NHMaster and put the money towards an indirect fired heater instead of powervent. It will last twice as long as any PV on the market today. Most PV's are garbage and are plagued with problems.

Comment

i'm confused

isn't a tankless, an on demand heater

if the 50 has worked for all these years, continue with the 50 tank

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick. Shhhhhhhh, we're trying to sell this guy something.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X