Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Help!! Replacing a leaky plastic toilet supply shut-off valve (w/ picture)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help!! Replacing a leaky plastic toilet supply shut-off valve (w/ picture)

Originally posted by JamesP View Post
    Thanks everyone, especially to DivinePlumbling and ToUtahNow. I was able to replace it myself over the weekend and I would like to share my experience. Total cost=$10!! $6 for the valve and $4 for the line. I was able to take the old one off by twisting it off counter clockwise as someone had suggested. I was ready to crack/cut it off but tried twisting first....came off very easily. It left some very very fine threads on the pipe due to the "teeth ring" inside. I cleaned it up the pipe with a very fine sandpaper. I tried the push on connect but found it a little "wobbly" even after pushing it with all my might. So I tried the one with the nut and copper ferrule, which after tightening, felt very secure. After reading the directions, I tightened it one half turn. Turned on the water to the house, found a tiny droplet at the connection, then tightened it 1/4 turn again. I think that fixed it. Anyway, here it is....

This is what is inside the old valve...

So from looking at it, it shouldn't have mattered what direction in twisting it off. It has been 2 days and there is still no leak. {crossing fingers}. This valve is all over the house, so next time, I know how to tackle the problem.
    Good job.Good pics.
    Kenneth Collier
    Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
    Jackson, MS 39206
    (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
    drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Piece of advice - looking at that garbage valve - don't wait for next time. Go buy enough of the valves like you installed and put them in now at your convenience. The next one may just decide to break in two and then you will have a flood. $20 bucks worth of valves and tubes are much cheaper than your homeowners deductible when you have a flood. Kind of like changing your fan belt when it reaches a certain age instead of waiting for it to break. Consider this preventive maintenance and do it at your convenience instead of waiting until it goes. The next valve you have fail will fail 5 minutes after you walk out the door to go away for the weekend. Murphy's law!!

Comment

Hi -- I was reading the last post and saw the picture of your old plastic valve. Our original valves around our house was the same plastic kind. So far, the ones in the kitchen and upstairs bathroom (toilet and sink) have leaked -- the one for the toilet blew off during a fix and we had a mini-flood in the bathroom. Should I replace all the other ones too? That would be the downstairs toilet and sink, which are not leaking so far. Just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by natalie1999 View Post
          Hi -- I was reading the last post and saw the picture of your old plastic valve. Our original valves around our house was the same plastic kind. So far, the ones in the kitchen and upstairs bathroom (toilet and sink) have leaked -- the one for the toilet blew off during a fix and we had a mini-flood in the bathroom. Should I replace all the other ones too? That would be the downstairs toilet and sink, which are not leaking so far. Just wondering...
          Doesn't seem to be much to wonder about. I think you know the answer, now get to work!
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JamesP View Post
            Thanks everyone, especially to DivinePlumbling and ToUtahNow. I was able to replace it myself over the weekend and I would like to share my experience. Total cost=$10!! $6 for the valve and $4 for the line. I was able to take the old one off by twisting it off counter clockwise as someone had suggested. I was ready to crack/cut it off but tried twisting first....came off very easily. It left some very very fine threads on the pipe due to the "teeth ring" inside. I cleaned it up the pipe with a very fine sandpaper. I tried the push on connect but found it a little "wobbly" even after pushing it with all my might. So I tried the one with the nut and copper ferrule, which after tightening, felt very secure. After reading the directions, I tightened it one half turn. Turned on the water to the house, found a tiny droplet at the connection, then tightened it 1/4 turn again. I think that fixed it. Anyway, here it is....

This is what is inside the old valve...

So from looking at it, it shouldn't have mattered what direction in twisting it off. It has been 2 days and there is still no leak. {crossing fingers}. This valve is all over the house, so next time, I know how to tackle the problem.
            thats the exact way i would have fixed it

Comment

Good job! Looks like I did it, but I would have replaced that escutcheon with chrome.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I just replaced two of these, one was leaking from the manufactured compressed end going up to the sink. I decided to replace both at the same time.
                I was able to easily pull/twist off the first one,
                The second one I got my dremel to cut it.
                Here is a another picture of what it looks like, As you can see its the metal ring taht holds them on.

Hope this helps others
                Attached Files

Comment

Similar to the situation above.....In a 10 yr old house, we find a tiny leak at the crimp joint, joining a toilet stop to pex or polyethylene pipe.

It's a really small leak, like one drip every half hour. So just as soon not replace the stop if there is a viable option.

Have very limited experience with crimping pex.

Can you re-crimp a pex pipe to tighten the crimp ring?

Any chance of a hose clamp helping as a supplement? Not sure how far the barbs protrude. We notice that the crimp ring is about 1/8" away from the valve stop body.

I've read a post in another forum which said that some plumbers might apply 2 crimp rings , routinely. Is there room?

tips appreciated!

(We're aware that the pipe can be cut and the stop reinstalled, however we have limited room)

Comment

Working...
                  X