Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Help!! Replacing a leaky plastic toilet supply shut-off valve (w/ picture)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Replacing a leaky plastic toilet supply shut-off valve (w/ picture)

Happy New Year to all!

First post here, I did a search but can't find a relevant topic.
    How do I replace a shut-off valve that looks like this.

Just noticed a leak this morning. It is leaking at that silver nut connected to the plastic body. Is this something hard to do? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

***************UPDATE ON PAGE 3*****************
    Last edited by JamesP; 01-06-2009, 01:14 PM.

Re: Help!! Replacing a leaky plastic toilet supply shut-off valve (w/ picture)

Hit it with a hammer. Then learn how to solder really quickly.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

That's not a "silver nut". The hose is crimped onto the plastic body of the valve. If the leak is coming from the crimp, it must be replaced.

Comment

I apologize for the terminology. Since it is crimped, does it mean that the whole thing needs to be replaced and not just the hose?

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          Hit it with a hammer. Then learn how to solder really quickly.
          Is it really that hopeless? I was hoping to save money and try to do it myself.

Comment

Yes, that must be cracked with a pair of Channel Lock adjustable pliers to remove. Then you can simply use a CR19 angle stop (5/8" x 3/8" compression angle stop). Then you can use a SS closet supply. Change that escution out to a chrome one while you're at it.
            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesP View Post
              I apologize for the terminology. Since it is crimped, does it mean that the whole thing needs to be replaced and not just the hose?
              YUP. But, I've never seen a slip-on contraption like that. I would never have used it to begin with. I would sweat on a nice angle stop (ball valve) and use a stainless steel braided hose.

Comment

This is a job for a licensed plumber.

Contact them first thing in the morning and get this matter taken care of.

This is a very involved job that will take numerous tools, and the questions you are asking are indicating that you are not experienced to take this project on.

For all that is sacred and holy, please do this for your family and children and call a plumber, PLEASE.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This is what you have if you are trying to find the same thing.

http://www.accortechnology.com/

I don't like them and would suggest replacing them but I believe an owner or salesman for them came on here a while back to defend them.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ighlight=accor

Mark
                  Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-02-2009, 02:38 AM.
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks everybody, especially to ToUtahNow (Mark) and the links you have provided. Their new link is http://www.accortechnology.com/R-Series.html.
                    I'm looking at the website and see if I can get it warrantied, it's a long shot but it is free to try.

Comment

Talk about the next class action law suit. I used to see these in CA tract houses all the time. Jamesp call a plumber to put in a real angle stop, you will sleep well at night! And there is a very important saying in the plumbing industry for DIY'ers "if you do it yourself, you only have yourself to blame."
                      ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

I can't agree more. I love seeing those valves or compression valves on CPVC. Just an accident waiting to happen. I'd change everyone in the house if it were mine.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesP View Post
                          Thanks everybody, especially to ToUtahNow (Mark) and the links you have provided. Their new link is http://www.accortechnology.com/R-Series.html.
                          I'm looking at the website and see if I can get it warrantied, it's a long shot but it is free to try.
                          warrantied? go dig in your couch for the $1.75 that thing cost
                          Mike
                          Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                          www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

These angle stops will come off by turning the whole assembly counterclockwise. Then replace with a better brass angle stop!

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
                              These angle stops will come off by turning the whole assembly counterclockwise. Then replace with a better brass angle stop!
                              only the newer style with the gray on the back will spin off the one there has to be cut or squeezed off i like cutting them
                              Mike
                              Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                              www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Working...
                              X