Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New flange or flange extender

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    It's a personal preference regarding the horned wax ring. I despise them, and would only use one if I had to on a lead bend. If you're going to double wax it, and one of those waxes is horned, you're asking for trouble. I don't like horned wax rings, because it has a reduced size on the one end.
    but the horn opening is bigger or the same as the toilet outlet, no?

I am not sure what I am going to find when I pull the toilet, I know here in NYC there is no PVC bends allowed, otherwise I would consider putting in a new flange, but if it is lead i think that is out of my league.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
      but the horn opening is bigger or the same as the toilet outlet, no?

I am not sure what I am going to find when I pull the toilet, I know here in NYC there is no PVC bends allowed, otherwise I would consider putting in a new flange, but if it is lead i think that is out of my league.
      This is just my opinion, but horned wax ring has it's downfalls, and could present problems.

1. The smaller opening on the horned flange has the potential for soft blockages, especially if someone in the house goes to the bathroom hard, or using soft toilet paper.

2. You have the potential of a horned ring getting cocked or the toilet being cocked, if everything isn't level.

You're not out of your league if you have lead bend. Once you pull the toilet, scrap off the old wax, and make sure you "peen" the lead back over the flange if you have to. Now don't take the hammer and bang the lead like you're driving home a nail in a 2x4.

This is the only situation I would lean heavily towards the horned wax ring. Some others might do it differently, but this is the way I was taught, and have been successful with.
      Last edited by Flux; 03-09-2011, 10:47 PM.

Comment

In all likelihood, the flange will be 1/4" low and I will just double wax or use a thick wax ring (or the horned ring depending on what others think, not that I don't trust you).

Also, the set-rite route is just crap? It claims to be the only code flange extension solution. I am kinda curios.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
          In all likelihood, the flange will be 1/4" low and I will just double wax or use a thick wax ring (or the horned ring depending on what others think, not that I don't trust you).

Also, the set-rite route is just crap? It claims to be the only code flange extension solution. I am kinda curios.
          I've used that flange extender like you posted above, but imo, it's meant more for PVC flanges.

1/4" - 1/2" is not that big of a deal imo..double wax or use a thicker wax.

When the distance is greater, that's when flange extenders really come into play, and should be used.

Comment

95% of our flanges out here are a full 4'' opening. the flanged wax rings i use are a full 4'' horn and not a reduced 4x3'' horn which would be a problem.

i guess it varies all over the country, but when i see a 4x3 wax ring, i think handyman.

our closet bends are typically a 3x4 closet bend. allowing the full 4'' opening at the flange.

either the thicker harveys #50 or 2 wax rings with the horned one on top to help position the lower one. if it's a 3''' flange, then i wouldn't use the horn.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              95% of our flanges out here are a full 4'' opening. the flanged wax rings i use are a full 4'' horn and not a reduced 4x3'' horn which would be a problem.
              I've never seen a full 4" horned wax ring before. It's all 4x3 horned wax rings here.

Besides lead and cast iron, everything is 3" PVC bends for toilets while using a 4x3 flange.

The only time we see a full 4" PVC flange is when the 4" is coming up through concrete on underground work.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i guess it varies all over the country, but when i see a 4x3 wax ring, i think handyman.

our closet bends are typically a 3x4 closet bend. allowing the full 4'' opening at the flange.

either the thicker harveys #50 or 2 wax rings with the horned one on top to help position the lower one. if it's a 3''' flange, then i wouldn't use the horn.

rick.
                so I should throw out this "fits 3" and 4" waste line" horned wax that I bought? It was only like $3.

Comment

if you have a full 4'' flange opening, then you want the full 4'' horned ring.

the 4x3 horned is for when you have a 3'' flange on the floor.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Which brand have you been using Rick? Harvey's? I haven't seen 4" horned either, only 4" x 3".
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

okay, well when I pull the toilet I will know, the horned ring I have is "extended" to cover 1/4"-1" sunken in flanges.

Comment

As many toilets as I set I gotta say I've too have never seen a 4" horn wax ring or heard of them...post a pic?...interesting...
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Harvey's # 4 has the 4" horn .... #3 has the 3" horn
                          If i have to reset a com with a low flange i will use a reg wax and set the flange extender on it and compress it then put a horned flange on top.
                          I like that better than stacking wax

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                            Which brand have you been using Rick? Harvey's? I haven't seen 4" horned either, only 4" x 3".
                            every supply house sells them. harveys is 1 brand. hercules, debest are another.

your supply house will have a good selection of them. most even have their own house brand too.

here's a link to harveys. the #10 is an extra thick 4x3 and the #50 is an extra thick 4'' only.

http://www.wmharvey.com/prod/cat3/noseep.php

rick.

here is the hercules brand link

http://www.herchem.com/products/bowlsetting.html
                            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-10-2011, 09:11 AM.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                              Harvey's # 4 has the 4" horn .... #3 has the 3" horn
                              If i have to reset a com with a low flange i will use a reg wax and set the flange extender on it and compress it then put a horned flange on top.
                              I like that better than stacking wax
                              I might have to try it that way some time.

Comment

4" kant-leak is new to me also, only ever seen 4x3. My wholesales do carry harvey tho, so think I will talk to them about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X