Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New flange or flange extender

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
    sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a question. Like the OP, I am finally ready to do my tile floor. The tile will roughly be 1/4 to 1/2" higher than the existing.

After reading up online and talking to a couple of old-timers at my mom & pop hardware store these are what I think my options are:

1)Use a thick wax ring extender (with horn) over existing flange

2) Standard wax ring over flange with wax ring w/horn over that

3) Use a flange extender siliconed to flange and standard wax ring

4) Use a "set-rite" spacer with gasket

anyone use a set-rite before, or is it just a gimmick?
    set-rite

I need just 1/4"-to 1/2" extension, the oldtimer suggested just using thick wax ring extender (with horn), option 1. Just wondering what you guys thought?
    jjaaamm:

I've pulled several toilets that were leaking and had double wax rings under them with a low flange. I've noticed that the wax was sort of "whitish" as though it was corrupted with water. The "whitish" material is much softer than the "uncorrupted" wax.

I don't know what EXACTLY transpired to cause this deterioration of the wax rings. Some of the toilets were loose and rocked on the floor, but some didn't.

I feel it's safest to conclude that although wax is extremely water resistant it is probably not waterproof. That is to say, I don't believe wax will hold up permanently if it's in standing water. Of course I could be wrong, but I still have that "whitish" or discolored wax reality to deal with.

So, if a flange is below the top of the finished floor I clean it thoroughly and put down a bunch of GE2 clear silicone then screw down a Sioux Chief flange extension, or sometimes two. If it's deeper then that I'll try and convince the homeowner to raise the flange.

If the flange is 1/4" or so low I will simply use a double thick wax ring.

I don't believe I've ever had a callback as a result of a toilet leak.

Of course, make certain the toilet doesn't rock or move when you sit on it.

Ironically, just today I had to remove a flange my journeyman plumber installed waaaaay too soon. When they leveled the concrete floor it was going to be 3/4" of an inch lower than the tile. There's no upside to installing a flange before the finish. (I told my journeyman. He was taught differently) I primarily use flush fit Sioux Chief Stainless Steel rings on PVC that fit inside 4" PVC.
    Last edited by geno gardner; 03-10-2011, 06:47 PM.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

thanks for the info - think if i am only 1/4" low I will go with a double thick ring, still not sure if I am going horn or not, but if it is deeper than that I will go flange extender.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        every supply house sells them. harveys is 1 brand. hercules, debest are another.

your supply house will have a good selection of them. most even have their own house brand too.

here's a link to harveys. the #10 is an extra thick 4x3 and the #50 is an extra thick 4'' only.

http://www.wmharvey.com/prod/cat3/noseep.php

rick.

here is the hercules brand link

http://www.herchem.com/products/bowlsetting.html
        Thanks! I just learned something
        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Okay guys. Now that my control stop was replaced, I can finally move to the next stage. I just lifted the toilet. Thing came up waaaaay too easily. Wax ring was obliterated.

Here are some pics

Now, here is the question: When I grab the flange I can move it slightly laterally all around. It is sticking up through the floor, but it is not actually anchored to the floor, only attached to the waste pipe. There is a concrete collar under the flange that won't allow me to bolt the flange down. Can I set the flange in my tile motor bed to secure it?

Also, after plugging the flange with a damp rag, I could feel cold air coming up from around the flange. Not sure if this air is coming from the waste pipe or from the void below my floor.
          Last edited by JJJAAAMMM; 04-16-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

if it's air coming from around the flange it's likely coming from the void between floors. can you tapcon the flange down to that concrete collar? mortaring the flange down won't be a permanent solution, it'll work loose again
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              if it's air coming from around the flange it's likely coming from the void between floors. can you tapcon the flange down to that concrete collar? mortaring the flange down won't be a permanent solution, it'll work loose again
              I am afraid it will split the collar if i set screws through it, no? I just don't want to crack anything that will require me to have to replace anything.

Comment

Working...
              X