New flange or flange extender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New flange or flange extender

I am installing a new tile floor. The current flange sits directly on the concrete. After the tile is installed, the flange will be a 1/4 inch below the tile. What is the best solution, a new flange, extender, bigger wax ring? What is the proper way of doing this if it was a brand new house? Is it hard to remove a flange from a concrete slab?

thx

Oscar
    Last edited by oscar; 01-03-2009, 01:54 PM.

Re: New flange or flange extender

If it's only 1/4" a a thicker wax ring or double up a couple standard ones. If it's much more than that Raven products makes an extender.
    sigpic

Comment

Use the flange extenders with a lot of silicone and bolt through both flanges.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

The flange extenders I've seen SUCK. If anyone has a good product they use, please post the link.
        Thanks
        Mike

Comment

There is no way I would use a flange extender or double wax ring. I would cut out the old flange if it's pvc or break it out if it's c.i. Put a spacer around the riser and tile right up to it. Then set your collar. The collar must sit on the floor.
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Chip out some concrete and either install an insta-set closet ring or lead in a new cast iron ring

Comment

i believe it's a harvey's #50 wax ring which is 1 ring that's 50% larger than standard.

1/4'' below the finished floor is not bad at all.

the stacking extenders do leak. atr least all the ones i've removed

a single wax ring is fine as long as it properly compresses.

a double as long as the plastic horn is on top and another ring is squared up properly ontop of the other is not bad.

i doubt you'll ever have an issue with a properly compressed wax ring.

sure you can remove the old flange, but 1/4'' is peanuts.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick
                -1/4 inch in concrete is one thing, -1/4 inch on a wood floor is another. When at all possible mount your flange on top of the finish floor.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                  Rick
                  -1/4 inch in concrete is one thing, -1/4 inch on a wood floor is another. When at all possible mount your flange on top of the finish floor.
                  Mike

you're correct

but in reality, when someone replaces a floor in the bathroom, they typically don't have the plumber come and raise the flange.

most of the leaks i see are because the floor guy reinstalled the toilet. when a plumber reinstalls the toilet, they don't typically leak.

the 1/4'' is no problem with the thicker #50 harveys wax.

it's the stacked waxes with no horn that are disasters waiting to happen.

a brand new install should be ruffed in properly.

i liked to install the closet flange on the finish, not the ruff. this allowed for any floor finish to be set and the flange to be bolted on top.

in reality this is great for small jobs, but in real life the inspectors want the flanges installed for ruff inspection.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I've never had a problem with the Sioux Chief raise a rings, but I usually pull the flange screws, clean the old flange well, silicone the raise a ring down, and then reinstall longer and fatter flange screws. Add that to a standard wax ring with a horn, and I've not had any trouble.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a question. Like the OP, I am finally ready to do my tile floor. The tile will roughly be 1/4 to 1/2" higher than the existing.

After reading up online and talking to a couple of old-timers at my mom & pop hardware store these are what I think my options are:

1)Use a thick wax ring extender (with horn) over existing flange

2) Standard wax ring over flange with wax ring w/horn over that

3) Use a flange extender siliconed to flange and standard wax ring

4) Use a "set-rite" spacer with gasket

anyone use a set-rite before, or is it just a gimmick?
                      set-rite

I need just 1/4"-to 1/2" extension, the oldtimer suggested just using thick wax ring extender (with horn), option 1. Just wondering what you guys thought?

Comment

double up your wax rings...no problems do it all the time...simple and easy and cheapest thing to do....
                        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

and do it without the horned wax ring.

Comment

okay, so no horned ring? I hear two things depending on who I ask. Is there a reason not to use the horn?

Also, what is the advantage of doubled rings over say an extra thick ring?

Comment

Originally posted by JJJAAAMMM View Post
                              okay, so no horned ring? I hear two things depending on who I ask. Is there a reason not to use the horn?

Also, what is the advantage of doubled rings over say an extra thick ring?
                              It's a personal preference regarding the horned wax ring. I despise them, and would only use one if I had to on a lead bend. If you're going to double wax it, and one of those waxes is horned, you're asking for trouble. I don't like horned wax rings, because it has a reduced size on the one end.

Comment

Working...
                              X