Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Water Filter Joint

Hi,

I'm a real amateur, so please go easy. I installed a whole home water filter in my basement and there is a persistent dripping that I can’t solve. The plastic body of the filter has a 1” thread on it, but the house’s main water pipe is ¾” copper pipe. I used a 1” to ¾” plastic reducer (kind of looks like a nut, but with ¾” size threads on the inside) and then a ¾” SharkBite adapter screwed into the plastic reducer. On both joints I just used Teflon tape (about 3-4 revolutions). The “IN” side of the filter does not leak, but the “OUT” side has a small drip. I tried disassembling and then reassembling, but the dripping is still there. Note that both the plastic and copper adapters can still be turned, but I don’t think that’s the problem because the other side does not leak and it’s not on as tight. Since the leak is so small and I will not be covering this area with drywall (I need to have access to change the filters) I was thinking of putting some sort of silicone or other epoxy? Any advice with that?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Leaking Water Filter Joint

Use more teflon tape like about six to eight wraps OR
    If you want to do it proper, then use plastic in to metal, Male plastic in to female metal. Most of the time if you dont break the female plastic fitting then it is just a ticking time bomb to crack and leak profusly when it does.
    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Only one way to fix a leak, take it apart and redo it. Try using a little more tape this time.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take it apart again, use a lot more tape, and tighten it really well.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
          Use more teflon tape like about six to eight wraps OR
          If you want to do it proper, then use plastic in to metal, Male plastic in to female metal. Most of the time if you dont break the female plastic fitting then it is just a ticking time bomb to crack and leak profusly when it does.
          Absolutely right about the plastic females. They are evil. I swear it.

Comment

Sometime if the adpter is threaded to long, it will bottom out before getting tight enough. or your tape got cut off during the install.
            sigpic

Comment

or your wrapping the tape in the wrong direction

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                or your wrapping the tape in the wrong direction
                lol.....
                sigpic

Comment

J.C.

Comment

Everyone who has posted above is right my friend all you can do is keep doing the joint till you get it right and don’t try rubbing silicon on the outside of the joint as this will not work lol. Take it apart and try again with more tape this time but remember to put the tape on in the right direction so it’s not bunching up when you tighten the joint.

Anyone who need a trade supplier or advice with water filters feel free to call me in the UK on 01273 747477 website www.h2ofiltercentre.com

Have fun from H2o Andy

Comment

I think you should use more teflon tape for that laking water filter joint man...

Comment

Get a plastic bucket and put it under the leak when it fills take the water to your flowers. Replace repeat.

Be very careful that you do not cross thread. It is very easy to do when you tie plastic and metal together even more so when you tape heavily. If the female PVC fitting came with the unit you need to put a schedule 8o nipple (gray PVC) in there and attach the metal to it it is much thicker and stronger.
                        Last edited by EasyEman; 02-18-2009, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X