X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moen faucet

I have Moen 87560 (I believe) Single lever, pull out sprayer. It started leaking at the base. I replaced the cartridge. After further review it still is leaking from the back side of the faucet. I have done some searching on the Internet and found that a Vaccum breaker may be the cause. Using a mirror I see a plastic threaded peice with a rubber insert. I have been unable to locate that particular replacement part. Is that part defective or may there be another problem. Thanks for your help.

Re: Moen faucet

Originally posted by flagman View Post
    I have Moen 87560 (I believe) Single lever, pull out sprayer. It started leaking at the base. I replaced the cartridge. After further review it still is leaking from the back side of the faucet. I have done some searching on the Internet and found that a Vaccum breaker may be the cause. Using a mirror I see a plastic threaded peice with a rubber insert. I have been unable to locate that particular replacement part. Is that part defective or may there be another problem. Thanks for your help.

Ahh this is my cup of tea about this series Moen.

That's a backflow device that is notorious for failure, and even the rework kits they send you are a joke.

Call Moen, tell them your situation, tell them you want the part that is leaking, not the rework kit.

The rework kit is a ton of work and they actually send you a plug to eliminate that leak. They just provide another way to offer protection.

You're best bet is to replace the faucet, this is a longstanding problem with this faucet.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar - Thank you for your time. What I think I'll do is try to remove the existing threaded peice and just see if I can find a set screw with some teflon tape to fit in there. After reading some of the other posts it seems that there are alot of complaints about Moen. Add my opinon to the list. Again Thanks for your time !!!!!

Comment

Dunbar - Thank you for your reply. What I think I'll try is to remove the threaded peice and replace with a set screw w/teflon tape. I'll take my chances with the blackflow senerios. I see that there are many complaints with Moen. Add my opinion to the list. Again Thanks for your time!!!!

Comment

I frequently use this specialty tool when dealing with Moen Products.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flagman View Post
            That has to be the worst faucet to mess with. I stopped working on them after a couple of them...........too much work for the money....
            sigpic

Comment

All i got to say about a moen is,,,You should have bought a Delta

Comment

I'm glad I found this thread! I also have a 87560 that leaks after each use, from below as well as up top. It sounds like I have the same problem as everyone else that has chimed in.

I just got off the phone with Moen's customer service line. Initially, I was "happy" to get free replacement parts but they also offered a completely new (and hopefully re-engineered) faucet for $55. That price is equal to about 1 hour of my time, so why futz with tearing the old faucet apart, especially if repair success is uncertain. Maybe I'll hang onto the old faucet and repair it sometime when I can't find anything else that needs fixing. Yeah, like that will ever happen...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Coffer View Post
                  I'm glad I found this thread! I also have a 87560 that leaks after each use, from below as well as up top. It sounds like I have the same problem as everyone else that has chimed in.

I just got off the phone with Moen's customer service line. Initially, I was "happy" to get free replacement parts but they also offered a completely new (and hopefully re-engineered) faucet for $55. That price is equal to about 1 hour of my time, so why futz with tearing the old faucet apart, especially if repair success is uncertain. Maybe I'll hang onto the old faucet and repair it sometime when I can't find anything else that needs fixing. Yeah, like that will ever happen...

I know this game. They've done it to my customers before. They turn a warranty repair into a sale because the price sounds too good to pass up. The "new" style is pretty much more of the same, except now it comes with a white cap that covers it. It will leak on the new design as well. Might take longer but I've worked on both designs.

To this day I do not understand why Moen would make such a design that instantly causes structural damage to any countertop or sink base when it goes into fail mode. They "expect" you to look under your sink daily and that's not reasonable.

The 875 series can be horrible to remove as well since everything gets rusty/corroded on the brass threaded shank that is supported by a metallic C type hold down assembly.

They should be sending you that faucet for free. They still make a profit at $55 on the faucet they are selling.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                  X