X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viega Pex vs. Wirsbo Pex

I built a new home this year and have an issue in the master bath. The plumbers installed a Watt's mixing valve before the faucet for the whirlpool. This limits the hot water to luke warm and doesn't allow hot enough water to take a bath. Now that all the inspectors are gone, I want to bypass or remove this valve.

Here is the issue: My house was plumbed with Veiga Pex Press fittings. I only have access to Wirsbo tools and fittings. Can I cut out the mixing valve and bypass it using wirsbo fittings and wirsbo pex? Are wirsbo fittings compatible with veiga pex? Also, I still have 3 sinks left to valve. Can I use wirsbo valves on the viega pex for those sinks? It would save me from paying my plumber to come back out just for that simple task.

Thanks,

Fred

Re: Viega Pex vs. Wirsbo Pex

Originally posted by fredrickhw View Post
    I built a new home this year and have an issue in the master bath. The plumbers installed a Watt's mixing valve before the faucet for the whirlpool. This limits the hot water to luke warm and doesn't allow hot enough water to take a bath. Now that all the inspectors are gone, I want to bypass or remove this valve.

Here is the issue: My house was plumbed with Veiga Pex Press fittings. I only have access to Wirsbo tools and fittings. Can I cut out the mixing valve and bypass it using wirsbo fittings and wirsbo pex? Are wirsbo fittings compatible with veiga pex? Also, I still have 3 sinks left to valve. Can I use wirsbo valves on the viega pex for those sinks? It would save me from paying my plumber to come back out just for that simple task.

Thanks,

Fred
    Most of the PEX pipe is built to the same Standard so it should be the same size. However, most warranties are compromised which you mix manufacturers.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Okay, next question, do I have to use a Viega Pex Press tool or is there another compression tool that I can use for the Viega fittings. I don't mind the Viega fittings, it is the $300 tool that stings.

Thanks,

Fred

Comment

the valve is there for a reason. set it correctly or go pound sand freddy.

Comment

The valve in place is a watts valve that limits the temperature to 105 degrees. I loosened the set screw and opened the valve all the way up to make it as hot as possible. If I remember correctly code limits to 120 degrees. Why is it that I can take a hot shower but can't take a hot bath? In order to take a hot bath, I ran a garden hose from the garage through the house and into the master bath. I have a hot/cold sillcock in the garage.

Comment

I am not familiar with this mixing valve, but I'd guess i) the unit is defective or damaged during installation; ii) your hot supply run goes through a very long unheated area. Is the hot supply pipe hot to the touch? If the incoming water is not hot, then it doesn't matter what you set the temp limit to.
            BTW, Stan'Pipe Joe, despite that the valve is "there for a reason" you are not being very helpful (or, frankly, humorous either) with your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by fredrickhw View Post
              The valve in place is a watts valve that limits the temperature to 105 degrees. I loosened the set screw and opened the valve all the way up to make it as hot as possible. If I remember correctly code limits to 120 degrees. Why is it that I can take a hot shower but can't take a hot bath? In order to take a hot bath, I ran a garden hose from the garage through the house and into the master bath. I have a hot/cold sillcock in the garage.
              Do you by chance have a tankless water heater?
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

The water coming into the valve is hot, the fittings are hot to the touch and the water in the shower right behind the whirlpool is hot, even though there is scald protection on that faucet, it is hot. The whirlpool isn't even warm enough to generate steam or steam the window.

I am thinking of by-passing the valve using a piece of wirsbo pex and wirsbo fittings since I have ready-access to those tools and fittings. Any issues with this?

Thanks to those of you considerate enough to offer an itelligent reply.

Fred

Comment

The water heater is an energy efficient Rheem 50 gal. natural gas heater. When I use the garden hose from the garage, I can fill the whirlpool clear full of steaming hot water.

Thanks,

Fred

Comment

I dont no the codes up there,,But in a normal house here you can have all the hot water you want...
                    Comercial bld , public bath rooms , hosp ,ect, ect , need the protection...
                    If it was my house and i had to have it ,,,i would open the valve up to make sure the hot side did not have a restiction,
                    But if the rest of your water does not go thru the valve,,,why would it be on the tub only,that would be a strange code,,, then i would cut it out

As for the pex ??? I only run copper.. never touch the stuff

Comment

I'd just go ahead and bypass it, if I was doing it. Yes it is odd that no other fixtures are controlled in the same manner. Perhaps it for the lepers..."What do you call two lepers in a hot tub? Porridge"
                      PEX is fine to use. You will have to sweat on fittings to the copper. Make sure you get the right ones, - I made that mistake at Home Diappointment two days ago. (Actually I grabbed three correct, and one incorrect; Always look closely cuz 9 of 10 times they're misfiled. I should know better, it being the 47th time it's happened there. DOH! )
                      Good Luck.

Comment

Most times the watts mixer will have a max setting of @130 degrees max - that is for safety setup in public use area..... Missouri saws 110 to 120 degree operation temp (if I remember right - been about 3 years for me on that)

When talking to one of the supplies houses the other day we were talking about codes in different areas around here.

One of the codes deals with what you have and simply states that if I house tub holds "x" amount of gallons it must have a mixer installed...

I don't know about your area....

as far as your fittings go - It does not matter what ones you use as long as you use the proper fittings/ parts . Don't mix. Then use the proper crimp tool...

Comment

get you a sharkbite fitting to do your transition from viega to wirsbo. you can't use your wirsbo tool on viega. Viega is a lower grade pex and will not expand like wirsbo. use a skarkbite fitting, then run wirsbo from there to your new valve.

Comment

I don't think you should remove safety equipment.

Most valves are adjustable and so is the water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by Willbur View Post
                              get you a sharkbite fitting to do your transition from viega to wirsbo. you can't use your wirsbo tool on viega. Viega is a lower grade pex and will not expand like wirsbo. use a skarkbite fitting, then run wirsbo from there to your new valve.
                              Viega is not a lower grade pex in terms of it's properties just a different in the way it is made, grade A doesn't mean it's the best just it's description. And this thread is old.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X