X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flux causing leaks

Has anyone heard of defective flux which eats through copper pipes causing leaks several years after installation?

Re: Flux causing leaks

my boss tell me to wipe off all the flux it can eat through the copper . I ALSO SAW A SEGMENT on this old house about that and Richard said the same thing

Comment

1. are you for real? and 2. spell your trade right metx.

Comment

Originally posted by rhawkins92660 View Post
        Has anyone heard of defective flux which eats through copper pipes causing leaks several years after installation?
        i think the defect is in the installer

flux by nature is a cleaner. the issue is was the flux applied properly and then properly flushed.

water soluble flux has been around since 1994 i believe. by rights once it's exposed to water, it flushes off and is harmless.

need to know the brand, age and photos to see the real issues.

p.s. i'm no attorney
        but i'm sure i can get you off

i guess that's clean for an attorney joke. works better on the ladies

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

He may have told you that just to make you wipe your joints clean every time

It looks a lot better ,, and should be done if you like your work.

Comment

I dont know how to get in to the portfolio to fix it ..

Comment

I believe You're referring to SO CALLED "self cleanin flux. No sanding necessary BULL SHIP!

Sand,ream flux ,solder, Spray with water when still hot,and wipe good with wet cloth. It's also nice to sand over Your

joint and fitting some, for a GREAT LOOK.

Even a flunkey CARPENTER like Me does this!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Honestly ive been told by several of my bosses always wipe the flux off or it will eat through the copper. Been hearing that since mid 90s....

Comment

Originally posted by rhawkins92660 View Post
                  I've seen copper manifolds that were kinked after the slab was poured. the plumbers that did the repair, cut the copper at the floor and put couplings to re-extend the piping.........It was clear to see that they used excessive amounts of flux to do the repair.....while it lasted for years, once I broke the slab and replaced the bad section.......it was the flux that ate thruogh the copper.
                  sigpic

Comment

I've run into problems in commercial buildings where too much flux was used and there were lines that were not used for a few years. Again, it's a problem with flushing, mostly. I have used La-Co Regular flux for 43 years, and I know it's likely for it to corrode if not cleaned. But it's also the very best flux for cleaning and soldering.

Comment

Too much flux causes the copper to remain clean. Not developing the protective patina. It is then over time eaten away by the chemicals in the water.

That's what I was taught.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowofmoney View Post
                        I've seen copper manifolds that were kinked after the slab was poured. the plumbers that did the repair, cut the copper at the floor and put couplings to re-extend the piping.........It was clear to see that they used excessive amounts of flux to do the repair.....while it lasted for years, once I broke the slab and replaced the bad section.......it was the flux that ate thruogh the copper.
                        This could be from contact with concrete. Seen that. But of course I'm not looking at what you looked at.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          This could be from contact with concrete. Seen that. But of course I'm not looking at what you looked at.

J.C.
                          Yep, you're right. but these lines I saw we protected and still had the issue. the Flux was still there......when I cut them out.....gee, I hope to find many more like that......gota pay them damn bills...
                          Last edited by Flowofmoney; 01-08-2009, 06:33 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

There was an idiot in my state that lost his master's license because he'd take the end of a copper pipe and jab it into the tub of flux.

He'd cut all his PVC with a hacksaw, would cut out holes for the closet flange with a sawzall.

I worked for him for 4 hours, he wouldn't let me sand the copper or fittings. Anything new he said didn't need it.

Took me 4 months to get paid from him, told all the supply houses to start looking for a body floating in the river soon, all for less than $100.

When I finally met up with him after all that time, he saw me walk into the supply house and this guy was trembling when he handed me over this check that had been written to me for months, all crumbled up and dirty. Very apologetic and "said" he called numerous times. Sure you did.

The check cashed, that's all that matters. But he did lose his license; he was doing a 2nd rough by himself in 7 hours, plastic and copper in a bilevel with 2.5 baths. That's putting the test on it too, through the roof.

That's flat out gettin it, but every house he plumbed was a joke. Leaks, clogs, clogs, leaks, piping had to be tore out because he'd left burrs on the pvc, angled badly in the hubs, just dishonorable plumbing all the way.

Copper water lines were blowing apart as well.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                              There was an idiot in my state that lost his master's license because he'd take the end of a copper pipe and jab it into the tub of flux.

He'd cut all his PVC with a hacksaw, would cut out holes for the closet flange with a sawzall.

I worked for him for 4 hours, he wouldn't let me sand the copper or fittings. Anything new he said didn't need it.

Took me 4 months to get paid from him, told all the supply houses to start looking for a body floating in the river soon, all for less than $100.

When I finally met up with him after all that time, he saw me walk into the supply house and this guy was trembling when he handed me over this check that had been written to me for months, all crumbled up and dirty. Very apologetic and "said" he called numerous times. Sure you did.

The check cashed, that's all that matters. But he did lose his license; he was doing a 2nd rough by himself in 7 hours, plastic and copper in a bilevel with 2.5 baths. That's putting the test on it too, through the roof.

That's flat out gettin it, but every house he plumbed was a joke. Leaks, clogs, clogs, leaks, piping had to be tore out because he'd left burrs on the pvc, angled badly in the hubs, just dishonorable plumbing all the way.

Copper water lines were blowing apart as well.

You know, here in Florida.....there is a lot of that going on. I'm just happy about all the Service work it will create...

Many handymen doing plumbing also
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X