Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water backing up in basement floor drain... help?!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water backing up in basement floor drain... help?!

Hey everyone,

Need some help here. I live in an old, OLD Chicago two flat house. Recently we have been having some problems with water backing up in the basement floor drain when we shower and even worse when it rains.

I have had our plumber come out twice, and he rodded out the entire line in the house. But it just drizzled the other day, and rain came out of the floor drain still.

I called the city of chicago, they came out and checked the sewer and said the water was flowing just fine, and it was something on my end. But my plumber rodded out all the way up to the street and beyond with a ridgid machine.

Anyone know what is happening with my floor drain and why it keeps coming up??? What could it possibly be?

Here is a crappy diagram of the layout... the 6" cleanout area I was told should not have ANY backup in it, but its up to the cap. It should be flowing through there, which leads me to believe there has to be something wrong between the 6" cap and the street.

Re: Water backing up in basement floor drain... help?!

Get someone to camera the line. I would offer to help, but I am so close to the stateline I can smell the cheese. Plus I dont have a camera. Oh yeah...dont bother with the city. The combination sewers they know about, and they wont help you.

Comment

Did he rod from the 6" cleanout (c/o) to the street main? or from the 3" c/o to the 6" c/o? One? Both?

Actually the diagram helps a lot.
      Last edited by Gene Bickford; 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM. Reason: re worded
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Yes it does ,,,

your line is still stopped up.

call the plumber again

Comment

He actually rodded from the 3" out, and then from the 6" out, but there is still standing water in the 6" area when it should be flowing through. He got a ton of roots out of there, I'm hoping that the issue is just there are more roots somehow clogging it up and he can get them out.

He's comign out tomorrow to try and rod out some more, if that doesnt do it, I guess we'll have to spring and get someone with a camera out here to see whats holding up the line

Comment

Have you ever noticed if the 6" area was holding water before.
            Is it backing up then going down, or does it just seam to stay at a certain level but other then that it's flowing fine?
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              Have you ever noticed if the 6" area was holding water before.
              Is it backing up then going down, or does it just seam to stay at a certain level but other then that it's flowing fine?
              I never actually looked in the 6" pipe, but my plumber said it was just a T shape piece that shouldn't be holding any water, it should be a river flowing through there. Water hasn't come out of there because i have a wingnut test cap on there. It comes out of the floor drain on the other side of the house.

It has to be somewhere between the sidewalk and the 6" area that is causing this right? In essence, if it was clogged somewhere between the floor drain and the 6" area, that 6" area should be lowwwww...

Comment

When you put the plug on is it still backing up through the floor drain?

I see a lot of cast Iron c/o's that are slightly back pitched causing some standing water, but if it's still coming up through the floor drain thats definitely a problem.

Any chance your looking at a whole house trap (long shot) like this

The "U" would be below ground so you would not see it. They are designed to hold water.

Comment

I have a cap on the 6" & 3" cleanout areas, they have been there actually since before we moved in. Water still comes out of that floor drain, not too sure if we have that U setup because there are no cleanouts that are as close as that diagram shows... but that would have been nifty if thats how it worked out...

Comment

Originally posted by mike04gt View Post

It has to be somewhere between the sidewalk and the 6" area that is causing this right? In essence, if it was clogged somewhere between the floor drain and the 6" area, that 6" area should be lowwwww...
                    Yes, your correct.
                    From your prior posts it sounds like a camera inspection my be in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      Yes, your correct.
                      From your prior posts it sounds like a camera inspection my be in order.
                      Do you have any idea what kinda cost I could expect to pay for a camera "probe" through the pipes like that???

Comment

No idea. it all depends on your area. NorthernIllinoisPlumber(forum member) should have a better idea of what the cost is for your area.

We just had a pretty good discussion about camera inspections that as a homeowner you should read. Even with a camera inspection you can still be scammed into a dig up. It involved taping vs not taping etc..I hunted for the link but can't find it....anyone remember the title???

Comment

I would save the camera $$$$ and let the plumber work on that outside line a little more.

Comment

The plumber could have pushed up a "flap" of roots in the main line, which fell back down and caused the clog to return. I had this happen to me once, I cleaned out a 4 " line, but didn't have a root cutter head so it pushed through the root wall, and didn't remove it. The camera will show all of your problems so they can be taken care of properly.

Comment

As a member of this forum I would like to offer to help if you would like. I am about an hour from the city but work in there often.

I have a Ridgid camera with DVD and could provide you with a inspection for a reasonable cost. I can also rod the line or what ever needs to be done.

There are guys on this forum who I have met personally that can vouch for me and my company.

Let me know if I can help.
                              www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Working...
                              X