X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I connect to the cleanout?

I am remodeling my basemout laundry room, and I am adding a standpipe for my washing machine. There is a 2" PVC drain pipe that runs from the basement up to the second floor bathroom which connects to the sink and shower. At the base of this pipe is a 2" PVC cleanout with a screw cap on the end that I want to access for the standpipe drain.

My question is - Can I add on another sanitary tee or Wye that connects directly to this cleanout and still be able to use it as a cleanout?

I want to tap into this 2" PVC pipe without having to cut into it and install a new connection.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Can I connect to the cleanout?

Originally posted by TheChucker View Post

I want to tap into this 2" PVC pipe without having to cut into it and install a new connection.
    thats is going to be the only proper way

Comment

Originally posted by thechucker View Post
      i am remodeling my basemout laundry room, and i am adding a standpipe for my washing machine. There is a 2" pvc drain pipe that runs from the basement up to the second floor bathroom which connects to the sink and shower. At the base of this pipe is a 2" pvc cleanout with a screw cap on the end that i want to access for the standpipe drain.

My question is - can i add on another sanitary tee or wye that connects directly to this cleanout and still be able to use it as a cleanout?

I want to tap into this 2" pvc pipe without having to cut into it and install a new connection.

Thanks for the help.
      NO.
      Plastic parts are cheap.You will be far happier in the future if it's done correct.

Comment

The washing machine must be on its own 2" line to the main stack. You cannot have a shower, sink, and washer all draining through a 2" shared line.
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help. I think I'll go the proper route. One more thing, what is the best way to add the new tee into the PVC pipe? The pipe is easily accessible, but it is runs rather close to the wall, about 1" away.

There is a tee that comes off the pipe right now that goes to the utility sink, but it is only 1 1/2". Can I cut out that tee and replace it with a 2" tee and run both the standpipe and the utility sink through that drain?

Comment

stop the presses

a c/o is nothing more than an end of the line access point.

adding another comby to the back end and still maintaing another end of line cleanout is perfectly legal.

the bathroom sink and shower from above is already vented and the new laundry will also be required to have a vent.

it's very common to connect to an end of line or floor cleanout riser. as far as fixtures units go a laundry standpipe is 3 fixture units, lav is 1 and shower is 2. total of 6.

upc allows for 8 on horizontal and 16 on vertical. irc allows 6 h, and 10 v.

cutting in a wye/ comby into a plastic line is very simple. even without play, there is always a no hub band that will allow for easy connections.

if the end of line c/o is a good location great. if the main horizontal run is a better location, great. plastic and a no hub band makes for a simple connection into exisiting plumbing.

did i miss the question

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

At the base of the 2" vertical PVC pipe is a a cleanout, and up from that about 12" or so is a sanitary tee which goes to the utility sink. The pipe that goes to the utility sink is 1 1/2", not 2" which is required for a standpipe.

I want to remove the this sanitary tee, which is a 2-2-1.5, and replace it with a 2-2-2 sanitary tee and run both the standpipe and the utility sink pipe through this new connection.

This is what I originally wanted to connect to the existing c/o, but it sounds like I should just remove the old tee and replace it with a new one???

Comment

Ahhh a KQ fan!
                Yup!Leave in the c/o tee and perhaps cut in a 2" wye above the tee,run a vent from that branch (6" above the 'flood level rim' or top of stand pipe to tie in or before you can run the vent flat).So the 2" wye comes up to a tee 1 1/2" X 2" X 2". 1 1/2 is the top side off to your vent.You can do it! Even though you have plastic below the dirt if this plugs up your life will be more pleasant with a nice 2" c/o to clean this line from.BTW,MN state code allows for your 1 1/2" removable trap arm to act as a c/o for a line up to 1 pipe size larger,and a max of 6 fixture units into a 2" horizontal (9 into a vert.Stack.) .Your standpipe gives you 2 as does the shower upstairs and the 1/1/2" trap from your laundry tub. 1 more from the upstairs lav which gives you a nice legal total of 7 into your stack.Hope this helps.
                Last edited by Jay Mpls; 01-09-2009, 06:33 PM. Reason: I am windy.

Comment

Gotta love Tommy B!

I'm sorry, I'm still a little confused. Basically, I cannot extend off the c/o, and have to install a new tee going to the standpipe and the utility sink right?

Can I just extend the line that already runs to my utility sink and make it a stand pipe as well? That line currently runs to the utility sink is 1 1/2 inches.
                  Last edited by TheChucker; 01-09-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. There is the c/o on the bottom of the line, and the subsequent line running to my utility sink above it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

did the primer can survive?
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

There is still some white of the PVC that the primer missed

Comment

Working...
                        X