Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone taken "backflow prevention program"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone taken "backflow prevention program"?

Our province Ontario has started backflow prevention program. Has anyone taken the course?
    It would be great if you share about this program.

thanks.

Re: Has anyone taken "backflow prevention program"?

I've been a licensed backflow tester since 1998. Boss wouldn't pay for it but I did, best thing I ever did.

I went after it for the knowledge base primarily, not just to be able to work on backflow devices.

I go every year and get my 6 hours of continuing education for the license.

I truly believe every plumber with a license should be required by law to have this credential, no exceptions.

I've duelled with other Master Plumbers and those far longer in my trade over situations where backflow did occur, and since they don't have that knowledge base, didn't believe it.

Case histories tell the story of amazing situations you'd never believe if you didn't have a full understanding of plumbing systems and how they operate when they are incorrectly installed or modifications have caused a malfunction to occur.

Lots more to discuss on this subject matter.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I took mine in 91 and like Dunbar I went for the knowledge. However, I also went because none of my competitors were certified so their customers had to call me to have their devices tested. Although backflow incidences do not happen often when they do they can have dire consequences. Testing backflow is just one more way to protect the health of the Nation (World).

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

And lucrative too!
        I first got certified in 1984. I test and repair, if necessary, about 350 devices a year. You do the math.
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Go for it.

I passed mine at 16 if I remember right, as far as I know I'm still the youngest certified tester in the state of Maryland.

I think my class was spread over 3 days and was several hundred bucks.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Got mine, I am trying to get a program set up in my town. The Illinois EPA mandates every water purveyor be in compliance with Title 35. We aren't and it could have bad consequences.

Comment

Thanks.

I will take the course in March.

In Ontario, that program is 40 hours 5 days course.

Does it require to renew every year?

Comment

I'm having shoulder surgery in march, so I think i am going to take it then, since I'll be out of commission anyways.

I dunno about TO Khlee, but here you have to test 6 devices a year in order to qualify for automatic re certification.
                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I'm sure every area is a little different. Out here some require a test in front of a proctor every 2-years.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Every three years here, you take a two day recertification class and then hands on test, no written.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      Every three years here, you take a two day recertification class and then hands on test, no written.
                      Same here, every 3 years. I am due for mine this year.

I have found that in most places it is an uphill battle trying to get BF requirements enforced. At least in some parts of NJ. Up north and in Atlantic City they hold you to the letter of the regs, but out in the boonies they can't even spell backflow it seems.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Around here we do our continuing education and recertification on the odd year, I go in in April.

The education is important, and its one more service I can provide my customers.
                        sigpic
                        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

In NY we have to sit through an 8 hour class, then test and we have to test a minimum of 30 units every 2 years, no retesting or continuing education IIRC I havent tested a backflow in a couple years and NEED to get recertified, especially with all the backflow I am designing now I'd like a little piece of pie!

Comment

here u have to take 40hr. class and have a hands on and written exam... no further education ever required at this time and no minimum amount of devices tested required

Comment

Working...
                            X