Soldering Brass ball valves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering Brass ball valves

I am trying to solder a brass ball valve to a piece of copper pipe and I am running into some difficulties. I have no problem getting the solder to flow but when I am done soldering I can pull the brass ball valve off the pipe. The solder is dry and I am definitely putting enough solder on. Does anyone have any tips on what I might be doing wrong? Also when I was soldering, a stream of smoke was coming out of a seal on the valve. Look at the picture for reference. I can't imagine that is good. Do you think I am going to need a new valve?

Re: Soldering Brass ball valves

How much solder dripped off your joint?Sounds like too much heat.
    Cleaned,fluxed,small prayer.Should be good.Nylon made smoke.You may have cooked it out.
    Last edited by Jay Mpls; 01-11-2009, 12:08 AM.

Comment

a few drops dripped off.

Comment

As soon as the solder flows your yanking the heat off?

Comment

I watching SNL.Actually funny tonight.Taylor Swift.What am I missing here??She is being peddled to us as country??That is a classic CMA award or what is called
          Country My A S S.

Comment

Ok I just tried it again. I was able to solder the two pieces together but I am not convinced its correct. I cleaned and fluxed the pipe and the valve. I used a MAAP torch and applied heat to the brass fitting. as soon as the solder started to melt I shut off the torch and applied solder. I then took a damp cloth and whipped around where I soldered. Now the bottom of the pipe looks nice but the top where I applied the solder has small tiny holes. Why is that?

Comment

Too much heat !!! sounds like you boiled the valve too. A 1/2" vlv doesn't take much heat. Are you letting it cool slowly?
              Pat Martinez
              M5 Plumbing Services LLC

Comment

It's a 3/4" valve that I am trying to solder. I am removing the heat as soon as the solder starts to melt. I take the damp rag probably 1 minute after I apply solder. I then let it sit until I can pick it up. The bottom where the solder drips turns out nice. but the top seems to be bad.

Comment

Maybe I am not heating the valve evenly.

Comment

synsco, i think that you're trying to solder a threaded valve

actually, i like to heat the copper and allow the copper tube to heat the valve. you don't want to get that valve packing too hot. try concentrating the heat on the copper and let the heat draw up. capilary action is what draws the solder into the joint.

also if the dry fit is too loose, the solder won't bridge the gap. there should only be a couple 1000ths of play.

another trick is to solder a mip adapter and screw the valve on

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I always throw the flame away from the center of the valve.
                      sigpic

Comment

I tried heating just the pipe my results are pretty much the same. I enclosed 3 pictures of my results.

http://www.snysco.com/images/plumbing/bottom.jpg

http://www.snysco.com/images/plumbing/front.jpg

http://www.snysco.com/images/plumbing/front2.jpg

Notice in the second photo the small black pin holes.

Comment

Have you pressurized it yet? That is the test that matters.

Comment

No, Since I don't think it looks right I am afraid to integrate it into my existing line.

Comment

From what I can see, it looks like a good joint. What do you mean "integrate it into my existing line"? Isn't it soldered into the copper line that is to be controlled by the valve

Comment

Working...
                              X