X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Hot Water Available

I have a 12 year-old A.O. Smith 50 Gal. Energy Saver Power Shot water heater. Problem with limited volume of hot water available. Temp. set and registers at 130 degrees. When using clothes washer (one load) with water set on "warm" we usually run out of hot water if someone is taking a shower.
    This condition has gradually become worse over the last few months. I have drained once a year to flush sediment out. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Limited Hot Water Available

12 years old...it is time for a new heater. The cost to repair the old AO smith will likely be a waste of money. Especially if the tank starts leaking soon and then it has to be replaced. Buy a tankless heater.
    Ok, just kidding on the last part. Seriously though, AO smith powershots have given me more trouble than any other model. And the repairs and parts are outrageously expensive. Just get a new heater.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The name of the water Heater is A.O. Smith "Power Shot". It is a high efficiency power vented natural gas fueled model. Thank you for asking for additional information.

Comment

I know you said "just kidding" about the tankless heater replacement, but why? If I find that the current heater must or should be replaced because of age or repair cost, I was considering a tankless replacement. What brand of conventional power vented nat. gas heater would you recommend as a replacement?

Comment

I think he was just kidding about the tankless water heater. They have a notorious reputation on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by des2147
            I know you said "just kidding" about the tankless heater replacement, but why? If I find that the current heater must or should be replaced because of age or repair cost, I was considering a tankless replacement. What brand of conventional power vented nat. gas heater would you recommend as a replacement?
            A tankless install is often more expensive than a regular water heater; and the cost savings will usually not make up for the initial outlay. You can search for tankless, and will find lots of threads debating this.

Comment

Get some prices on either a conventional powervent, or a tankless. The tankless might not be that much more, and will save you some gas. Powervents are very expensive, so in this case a tankless might be worth the investment.
              I use Rheem heaters, Bradford White are also good. Call a good local plumber and they will answer your questions.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by des2147 View Post
                i would read a lot of the tankless threads we have on this forum.

the majority of us here don't care for tankless.

i actually installed a tankless at my own house a couple weeks ago

nothing wrong with my 20 year old 40 gallon gas heater. infact i left it installed, but turned off so that in a few months i can switch back to complete my experiment.

if the 12 year old heater worked out for you, then i would replace it with another tank heater.

if you still want to go tankless, remember that it's not a simple swap. you need a properly size gas line, and a new stainless steel vent or direct venting unit. or install an outdoor model.

then remember to flush it every year with vinegar.

i hope you weren't planning on saving money

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, thanks. What brand of power vent conventional tank type heaters do you prefer. I must use a power vent since we do not have a flue. Home was originally all electric and then we switched to nat. gas when it became available in our area.

Comment

Hi Rick, I was reading through some post and came across this one. I was wondering what you ment when you wrote this "nothing wrong with my 20 year old 40 gallon gas heater. infact i left it installed, but turned off so that in a few months i can switch back to complete my experiment." I can only wonder what kind of experiment are you working on? Are you going to fill us all in on your findings when your done?
                    ________
                    YAMAHA SRX440
                    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM.
                    Mike

Comment

Before you spend a lot of money on replacement your initial problem of not enough hot h2o can probably be fairly easily fixed just by replacing your dip tube. More often than not that is the cause of lack of hot supply. A lot depends on the water in your area. I have seen in the area i am in now tanks generally need replace after about 10 years (no city treatment for h2o and sediment in tanks). Where i lived previously they had good treatment and tanks lasted 20 years on average before replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by des2147 View Post
                        I have a 12 year-old A.O. Smith 50 Gal. Energy Saver Power Shot water heater. Problem with limited volume of hot water available. Temp. set and registers at 130 degrees. When using clothes washer (one load) with water set on "warm" we usually run out of hot water if someone is taking a shower.
                        This condition has gradually become worse over the last few months. I have drained once a year to flush sediment out. Any ideas? Thanks.
                        You have to remember the 70% rule. Your 50 gallon tank will only give you 35 gallons of water at "shower" temp. One load of wash and a 10 minute shower @ 2 GPM will pretty much outrun that.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                          You have to remember the 70% rule. Your 50 gallon tank will only give you 35 gallons of water at "shower" temp. One load of wash and a 10 minute shower @ 2 GPM will pretty much outrun that.
                          Unless you had a tankless of course ...

Comment

Working...
                          X