X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much is too little....

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Sweets:

I'm not looking for things to hold against you but I'm just wondering if you know how much your business is costing you.

People that would charge $500.00+ for the job you ask about aren't getting as rich as some would think.

J.C.
    How long have you been in construction?
    Full time for about 3.5 years

What licenses do you hold?
    business license and drivers license

What insurances do you carry?
    Automotive full coverage.....

I am in it right now because I enjoy it and it makes me decent money. I understand that I would need a general contractor license to work for most people and I am actually thinking about getting that. about 95% of my work is between two companies and they are both 100% aware of the answers to those three questions. Yes, I have had thousands of dollars of tools stolen, at that point I wished I had insurance on my tools, yes I have done things working that if I had liability insurance I would have filed it, but I seem to be making it ok. I think part of the insurance thing that keeps me ok is the fact that both of those companies know the situation and they are the ones responsible for things that go wrong (ie snake going through side of pipe). I have a great opportunity with in the next few years to get out of construction and into something that not many people have the opportunity for (something dealing with one of the developers I do work for now). If that option works out then I wont be doing much construction past that. If it doesnt then I will most definetly get my licenses and be ready to liability insurance. Also,on a side note, I am (hopefully) a few weeks away from opening a collision repair shop. Its a small 1500sq ft shop that ive built on my land and right now its going to be a hobby shop and something for me to toy around with, but my degree is in automotive collision repair instruction (teaching)

Comment

And a quick answer to your original post. I think that was a very inexpensive price and you and the trade deserved to make more money.

J.C.

Comment

And a quick answer to your original post. I think that was a very inexpensive price and you and the trade deserved to make more money.

J.C.
        Let me ask you this, if you had an employee, what would you have paid him on this job?

Comment

Respectfully, I don't answer exact pricing questions on a worldwide forum. Just get tired of all of the debates. One person thinks you're way too cheap & the other thinks you are robbing people.

J.C.

Comment

Respectfully, I don't answer exact pricing questions on a worldwide forum. Just get tired of all of the debates. One person thinks you're way too cheap & the other thinks you are robbing people.

J.C.

I understand, but my guess would be that most plumbing helpers or apprentices would be hourly and there is no way they would be anywhere north of 15-20 an hour. Granted, I had to buy the tools, but I am in the same position as a helper license wise....

Comment

What about this: you are a plumber, doing everything legite, working hard to pay your bills support your family charging $125 an hour. Joe Schmoo comes out and starts doing work for $50 an hour how can you compete with him and how receptive would you be to him when he is taking food off of your table. not for nothing but no one understands for some reason they have no problem paying accountants, financial advisors, chiropractors etc $200 plus an hour why dont plumbers recieve the same respect mechanics are charged out at similiar rates. It hurts me to come on hear and read about homeowners choosing to use handymen to do thier plumbing at $50 an hour because us plumbers are theives

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                What about this: you are a plumber, doing everything legite, working hard to pay your bills support your family charging $125 an hour. Joe Schmoo comes out and starts doing work for $50 an hour how can you compete with him and how receptive would you be to him when he is taking food off of your table. not for nothing but no one understands for some reason they have no problem paying accountants, financial advisors, chiropractors etc $200 plus an hour why dont plumbers recieve the same respect mechanics are charged out at similiar rates. It hurts me to come on hear and read about homeowners choosing to use handymen to do thier plumbing at $50 an hour because us plumbers are theives
                I tried explaining this exact point about 5 minuted ago in the "brasscraft 1/4 turn valve" thread. It doesn't stick.
                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Like I explained in the other thread. the people I do work for would never pay what you guys charge. hell, they didnt want to pay my $120 bill. I dont do plumbing on single family houses because of the fact that I dont have the insurance and license. Basically licensed plumber and what I do are two completely different markets

Comment

THEY DONT PAY THE GOING RATE BECAUSE HANDYMEN HAVE GIVEN THEM A CHOICE!!!! IF THEY DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE AND THEIR WAS 2' OF SEWAGE IN THEIR LIVING ROOM THEY WOULD HAVE PAID!!!

Comment

THEY DONT PAY THE GOING RATE BECAUSE HANDYMEN HAVE GIVEN THEM A CHOICE!!!! IF THEY DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE AND THEIR WAS 2' OF SEWAGE IN THEIR LIVING ROOM THEY WOULD HAVE PAID!!!
                      Lol, I get the point you guys are making.... If they couldnt find someone like me then they would hire a "handy man" like apartment complexes do and pay him ten an hour. Apartment complexes have been doing that for ever and its just the way things work.

Comment

you did fine as a handyman

problem is the $600 snake is not designed for main line stoppages.

i'm guessing it's a 3/8'' cable or upgraded to 1/2''.

if you ever hit something hard, your cable will be toast and the line will now have a broken snake to contend with.

as far as the waste clean up goes, i just wash it back down the line where it came from. this lets me test the line and dispose of the waste and paper. first of course i clear the stoppage.

of course with the proper snake and training, the job probably could have been done by a pro in 1 hr.

the only complaint the owner should have is if the line backs up soon and you have to come back out.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick hit the nail on the head. A $600 machine to clear a 6" sewer!!! I am amazed that he even got it to flow. I think the charge was fair, since he didn't use the right tools, and doesn't know how to clean drains properly, he shouldn't be charging the same as a professional.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I would bet there is still debris in the sewer and it is only partially flowing. Even "pros" sometimes don't do an adequate job and I know firsthand from going in with the camera after they were just there. Hopefully it doesn't back up again soon, but I wouldn't count on it.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
                              I had a call the other day for a clogged sewer line. I get there and there is about an 8 ft radius of 6in deep sewage around the shared clean out (no cap). Its a tri plex and none of the tenants called it in until the third day of not having a usable toilet. It took me about 2-2.5 hours with the snake ($600 ridgid snake from HD) and I ended up pulling some mardi gras beads, a piece of a metal coat hanger, and a sock out of it. All is well now, and everything is flowing fine. Due to the fac that I am not a plumber and plumbing is just one of the many things I do, I dont charge as much as a plumber might, however, I know they are going to complain about what I charge and say its too much. I charged 80 for the clean out and 40 to bag and remove the 6 ft radius of logs and paper. Too little?
                              A tank of gas $50 to 60$, a mini roto rooter, $600.00. Where is your profit? There is none. Do this on a daily bases your out of business in no time. I would not touch that job for that price, even if I were a handyman. I can go broke sitting on my couch and sure not going to play in someone elses s**t for that kind of money.

Comment

Way to cheap!!!

My minimum is more than that.
                                www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Working...
                                X