X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too little....

I had a call the other day for a clogged sewer line. I get there and there is about an 8 ft radius of 6in deep sewage around the shared clean out (no cap). Its a tri plex and none of the tenants called it in until the third day of not having a usable toilet. It took me about 2-2.5 hours with the snake ($600 ridgid snake from HD) and I ended up pulling some mardi gras beads, a piece of a metal coat hanger, and a sock out of it. All is well now, and everything is flowing fine. Due to the fac that I am not a plumber and plumbing is just one of the many things I do, I dont charge as much as a plumber might, however, I know they are going to complain about what I charge and say its too much. I charged 80 for the clean out and 40 to bag and remove the 6 ft radius of logs and paper. Too little?

Re: How much is too little....

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
    I had a call the other day for a clogged sewer line. I get there and there is about an 8 ft radius of 6in deep sewage around the shared clean out (no cap). Its a tri plex and none of the tenants called it in until the third day of not having a usable toilet. It took me about 2-2.5 hours with the snake ($600 ridgid snake from HD) and I ended up pulling some mardi gras beads, a piece of a metal coat hanger, and a sock out of it. All is well now, and everything is flowing fine. Due to the fac that I am not a plumber and plumbing is just one of the many things I do, I dont charge as much as a plumber might, however, I know they are going to complain about what I charge and say its too much. I charged 80 for the clean out and 40 to bag and remove the 6 ft radius of logs and paper. Too little?
    Yes.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Yep!
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

$120 for 2.5 hours of work, $48 an hour plus a $600 machine, what kind of price do you think that you should have charged. Anyone here other than PC Plumber whom is probably banned by now, would have charged considerably more.

Comment

I think so too, and I'm not even a plumber.

Comment

Ditto.

Then again, you might like doing charity work.

Only thing is, most charities have trouble paying their bills......
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I just wouldn't have done it....tell them to get a pro for this type work.

Or pay you what you want..
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flowofmoney View Post
                I just wouldn't have done it....tell them to get a pro for this type work.

Or pay you what you want..
                I get your point, but I was happy with that much. I make a decent living doing work for them so I cant complain. I made this thread so I had something to show them if they complained about what I charged.

Comment

Ok try this on for size.... While snaking the mainline you break the pipe under the slab, or the line clogs up again in 2 hours did you make enough on the job to cover your a$$. Seems easy like anyone can do it I know, but if you are going to bill someone for work you have to keep in mind that in order for one of us to do the job we have to make sure that we can stand behind our work, make sure that we can pay the insurance bill so that if we do break the pipe under the floor and it floods out their basement we wont loose our homes.... a plumbers rates arent arbitrary those that just price in accordance with... "well thats waht the other guy charges" may not be charging enough for his situation to make money

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    Ok try this on for size.... While snaking the mainline you break the pipe under the slab, or the line clogs up again in 2 hours did you make enough on the job to cover your a$$. Seems easy like anyone can do it I know, but if you are going to bill someone for work you have to keep in mind that in order for one of us to do the job we have to make sure that we can stand behind our work, make sure that we can pay the insurance bill so that if we do break the pipe under the floor and it floods out their basement we wont loose our homes.... a plumbers rates arent arbitrary those that just price in accordance with... "well thats waht the other guy charges" may not be charging enough for his situation to make money
                    Dont get me wrong, I completely understand that. I would have charged them what it cost me to fix the pipe had I broken it. They know that what I bill them depends on what problems I run into. They also DO NOT want to pay enough for anyone that has insurance. (its never been spoken between us,but I dont think they want me to have it because they know I will have to pass the cost along.) I brought up the whole insurance thing this morning when she wanted to complain about the 120 bill

On a side note, we dont have basements down here so the pipe was underground.

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
                      I get your point, but I was happy with that much. I make a decent living doing work for them so I cant complain. I made this thread so I had something to show them if they complained about what I charged.

What i'm saying is this, you can do it once in a while and maybe no problem....but doing it or any other type of plumbing all the time, is when you start to see how many things can go wrong.

Oh, and what if the send you a 1099?

I hope you are set up legal for them...just sayin...not being a wise guy..
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flowofmoney View Post
                        What i'm saying is this, you can do it once in a while and maybe no problem....but doing it or any other type of plumbing all the time, is when you start to see how many things can go wrong.

Oh, and what if the send you a 1099?

I hope you are set up legal for them...just sayin...not being a wise guy..

No, Its cool, I appriciate the help. I know what kind of problems I can run into and have run into my fair share of them. Also, yes, they do 1099 me. I have a business license as well, and I pay all taxes I am required to
                        Last edited by futuresweets10; 01-13-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

$80 won't even get me to the door much less pick up someone else crap. $40 to bag and dispose of hazardous waste was way too low also.

But on the other hand, who gets to to keep the Mardi gras beads and sock?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            $80 won't even get me to the door much less pick up someone else crap. $40 to bag and dispose of hazardous waste was way too low also.

But on the other hand, who gets to to keep the Mardi gras beads and sock?

HaHa, very funny.... I wanted this to be a thread to show the nice folks who I billed this job to how lucky they are, not a thread to put me down for how low my prices are..... On the other hand, everything I work on for them was built with in the last 2 years with the exception of one development, but I personally spent a year and a half remodeling all 26 houses in that development so I know the ins and outs of those. So im not dealing with very old plumbing systems, blueprints werent hard to get, and its all pvc.

Comment

Sweets:

How long have you been in construction?

What licenses do you hold?

What insurances do you carry?

I'm not looking for things to hold against you but I'm just wondering if you know how much your business is costing you.

People that would charge $500.00+ for the job you ask about aren't getting as rich as some would think.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X