X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water tank no good after 1yr

I had a new boiler and in-direct water heater put in. The water heater is a Pure-pro by amtrol and the boiler is a buderus. It was installed about 1yr 9m ago. After about a year we found if we took a shower for 30min, we'd lose hot water. So my hot water guy got amtrol to give a new tank under warranty. After switching it, we checked the coiled and he said it was spoiled. It was covered in some scaly build up after a year and a half. No one on my street has had this problem and they have had their tank for about 10yrs. The development is 10yrs old. Can this happen in such a short amount of time? What can I do?

thanks for any help
    Ron

Re: Hot water tank no good after 1yr

do you have a water softner?

Comment

Nope

Comment

cross your fingers and call it an anomoly. Amtrol makes good stuff.
        sigpic

Comment

If your water is above 5 grains Amtrols and Superstores being fine finned coils can plug full of lime in a hurry. The hotter the boiler and DHW the faster they will stop transfering heat.

They can be cleaned, but what a pain.

Comment

just had the water tested. 1 to 1.5 grains. They did swap out the tank, but Amtrol wants the old tank. they have no idea why this is happening.

Comment

Should I not use an amtrol? What would be a better tank to use?

Thanks

Comment

I would stay away from any coil type indirect fired heaters. Weil Mclain Ultra Plus, Triangle Tube Phase III

Comment

Is that what I have now? I believe it is. I guess your saying to use one that has it's own burner built in. Is that right?

Comment

Zeta Rod! Better than a water softner. www.zetarod.com/
                    Last edited by EasyEman; 02-06-2009, 05:40 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

Originally posted by rdefino View Post
                      Is that what I have now? I believe it is. I guess your saying to use one that has it's own burner built in. Is that right?
                      No,

Amtrol has a coil to heat the water inside the tank. The Ultra and Phase III are stainless steel tanks inside an outer tank. Boiler water circulates through the outer tank to heat the domestic water (inner tank) This reduces the coil failure that you have expeirenced. Others will disagree but I believe it's a better way to transfer heat indirectly. I've removed many Amtrol coils that were limed up. Never had a failure with tank in tank design.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                        Zeta Rod! Better than a water softner. www.zetarod.com/

My god I hope you posted that as a joke.

But if you we're serious, give me a pm. I have a large steel bridge in the N.Y. city area that you may be interested in purchasing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          My god I hope you posted that as a joke.

But if you we're serious, give me a pm. I have a large steel bridge in the N.Y. city area that you may be interested in purchasing.

We sell those at my shop too, i'm still waiting to get customer feedback from the ones our service guys sells before I develop an opinion
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

a weil-mclain plus 40 with properly sized piping and circulator will out heat any amtrol water maker.
                            "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

Working...
                            X