Water alternating hot/cold in shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water alternating hot/cold in shower

I have a 50 gallon and 40 gallon Rheem NG water heaters connected in series. Cold supply line feeds the 50G and the 40G outputs to the house hot water line. A couple of days ago my daughter complained her show kept alternating between hot and cold water while she was showering. We had fairly high hot water usage during this time (I just finished taking a long shower, we had just finished filling the bathtub for my son, my wife was in her shower during (maybe) the same time my daughter was in her shower and the washing machine was running I could understand if we just ran out of hot water completely (even though 90G of hot water is a lot) and her shower just went cold, but why the alternating burst of hot and cold water in her shower? My wife did not experience the alternating hot/cold problem in her shower but she may have been done before my daughter's shower. I do have a circulating pump coming off the 40G tank, but it's on a timer and had shut off a couple of hours before all this occurred? Any ideas?
    Thanks

Re: Water alternating hot/cold in shower

Originally posted by npearman View Post
    I have a 50 gallon and 40 gallon Rheem NG water heaters connected in series. Cold supply line feeds the 50G and the 40G outputs to the house hot water line. A couple of days ago my daughter complained her show kept alternating between hot and cold water while she was showering. We had fairly high hot water usage during this time (I just finished taking a long shower, we had just finished filling the bathtub for my son, my wife was in her shower during (maybe) the same time my daughter was in her shower and the washing machine was running I could understand if we just ran out of hot water completely (even though 90G of hot water is a lot) and her shower just went cold, but why the alternating burst of hot and cold water in her shower? My wife did not experience the alternating hot/cold problem in her shower but she may have been done before my daughter's shower. I do have a circulating pump coming off the 40G tank, but it's on a timer and had shut off a couple of hours before all this occurred? Any ideas?
    Thanks

If the shower valves are pressure balanced, that could happen...maybe a dip tube issue? but it could be other things as well...I wouldn't be concerened unless it happens all the time..
    sigpic

Comment

With all the water you ran that morning ,long shower, bath tub,washer running ,wife shower,,,than your poor daughter shower ...
      90 gal sounds like a lot but you used it up...
      once that 40 gal ran out...it will turn your 50 gal cold
      let the washer machine kick on and off,,,and it will mess with your daughters shower pressure and whats left of the temp

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think you hit it on the head. I had her take another shower last night and it didn't do it. Like you said, I think the high water usage and the washing machine being on did it.

Comment

Working...
        X