Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem replacing faucet

Hello All

Everyone here seems very knowledgeable so I thought you might be so kind as to help me with this problem. Thank you in advance.

So Ive finally gotten around to replacing my kitchen faucet as it has been leaking a bit. It seemed like a simple enough job. Remove the old one and replace with a new one. Well the previous faucet is a Moen and for some reason they decided to make this a really difficult task.

Ive attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

Basically after removing the washers from the two coverplate bolts I still had the faucet connected by something and it felt stronger than the supply lines. After further inspection it seems that there is a bolt and retaining clip connected to the threaded tailpiece in the center of the faucet holding everything in place in the sink. As this faucet has been leaking it looks quite corroded. I have sprayed WD40 and let it sit but to no avail, I cannot remove the bolt and therefore cannot remove the retaining clip and therefore cannot remove the old faucet.

To be honest its a pretty tight fit and I think it would be a bear removing this even if it was brand new. Plus I cant seem to determine the proper size of the nut and have been using vice grips and an adjustable wrench to try and get at it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. FYI, Ive tried destroying this thing from the top and it is damn durable. I dont care about the old faucet at all so if it has to be destroyed, great!
    Attached Files

Re: Problem replacing faucet

HacktotheFuture, nice name

Thats center retaining nut is a special present from Moen. It's an odd size and has rounded corners. I don't know why. Using a basin wrench is the best way to loosen it. It's easier to remove the hose and break or bend the supply tubes out of the way.

Good luck and have fun

Comment

Yea when that happens I use a sawzaw and cut it on top from the base keep it close to the base if you use a new blade it will cut it like butter.
      You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Thanks for the response, plumberscrack! I have the Rigid basin wrench, Im assuming that one is not going to work? I hate Moen, LOL!

Thanks PlumbingParamedics! I was afraid that this was what I was going to have to resort to! Oh boy this sucks!

Comment

Hack when you buy this faucet new it comes with a grey plastic tool that will remove that nut i have 3 on my truck but without it u better cut it. its alot easier then you think.

Comment

Ah thanks PlumpingParamedics. Im a little worried that I wont be able to get a Sawzall in the tight space underneath. I do want to cut it to pieces for all the frustration this thing has caused me today! LOL!

Comment

No not from under cut it at the base on top of the sink but keep it close to the base of the faucet once you cut all the way you should be able to move back and forth till it falls down under

Comment

You state your occupation is "handyman"

Replacing a kitchen faucet is not that complicated..even a faucet with round nuts! I know many non handyman types that can tackle this without breaking a sweat!

I will not be politically correct here so..
                what kind of "handyman" are you? what is your occupation? or is the title "handyman"
                just a cute name for this reflector?

There are many people that utilize the information here, and many professionals here that take the time to offer free advice. Those folks have the credentials and names to back themselves.

On the other hand..if you are in the learning mode and desire to become a well rounded handyman, then I will tell you you have found an excellent resource here.

Cactus Man
                Last edited by cactusman; 01-14-2009, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  You state your occupation is "handyman"

Replacing a kitchen faucet is not that complicated..even a faucet with round nuts! I know many non handyman types that can tackle this without breaking a sweat!

I will not be politically correct here so..
                  what kind of "handyman" are you? what is your occupation? or is the title "handyman"
                  just a cute name for this reflector?

There are many people that utilize the information here, and many professionals here that take the time to offer free advice. Those folks have the credentials and names to back themselves.

On the other hand..if you are in the learning mode and desire to become a well rounded handyman, then I will tell you you have found an excellent resource here.

Cactus Man

Who cares? At least he's not asking us how to wire a boiler, or silver solder a 2" copper line
                  West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                  Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Hack,
                    That grey plastic tool that someone mentioned earlier can be sent to you no charge by Moen.... just call their 1-800 # , explain your situation, and they will send it. I have installed many of these faucets and actually like this setup by Moen for installing that faucet. Takes 2 seconds to put one in. I never had trouble taking one out. Remember to use safety glasses since crap will fall down and into your eyes!

Comment

@cactusman: The handyman as occupation was not really my occupation but more of my new title as I am a new homeowner. As you can tell from my post count I am new to the forum and immediately saw how good a resource it was and I wasnt sure how accurate the occupation field had to be. You are right, this is an outstanding resource and I appreciate everyone's help.

@Chemeng: Although I agree that this retaining clip and bolt setup allows for a very solid installation, you have to think that Moen should have known that many installations would become corroded and the fit under most sinks is very tight so why not opt for a larger nut and one without rounded corners. It just doesnt make sense to me. There are already tons of tools for removing nuts, why reinvent the wheel and require a new tool for the same purpose.

@et al.: I was already to take a Sawzall to the faucet when I decided to try one last thing to remove the nut and it worked great. I used a Bionic Grip which I had a the bottom of my tool chest and almost forgot about. It worked like a charm even in tight quarters. I highly recommend this tool for removing this nut.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Comment

Once more into the breach.

Moen strikes again.

Here's the proper removal, installation and adjustment tool for all moen products.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Once more into the breach.

Moen strikes again.

Here's the proper removal, installation and adjustment tool for all moen products.
                          Do you recommend the 3 or 4 pound adjustment tool?

If it sticks, force it.
                          If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X