• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cast Iron Tub Removal

what do you mean of that tub?

Comment

I hate the thought of trashing one of those beauties, theres a pretty good market for them around here, enough to pay for a helper for an hour or so. There's a neat trick I got out of a magazine for lowering them into a surround without losing fingers. You put an inflated inner tube in the hole and set the tub on it, then let the air out and presto! An extension on the vave stem is handy, I made one out of some 1/4" plastic tube and a couple of fittings, it worked great. You might be able to use the same trick to lift a tub.

Comment

Lenox makes cast iron cutting recip saw blades. They work perfect. Alternately, you could try lifting it with like a block and tackle on a frame or a similar item if you want it in tact. A rock bar will break it as mentioned if you hit it in the corners, take it easy and wear all the right gear so you dont get hurt. Id reccomend a respirator and glasses...gloves and boots. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Put down the sledge hammer and grinder

A digging bar is by far the safest and easiest way to break up a cast iron tub

Gotta know where to hit it. She'll break right apart into 4 easily handled sections
          Are you planning on sharing this?

Comment

Working...
          X