X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron Tub Removal

Going to replace a cast iron tub tomorrow when I worked for a company I always had a helper for this. Now Im by myself does anyone have any ideas how to get it out with one person. Thanks
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Cast Iron Tub Removal

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
    Going to replace a cast iron tub tomorrow when I worked for a company I always had a helper for this. Now Im by myself does anyone have any ideas how to get it out with one person. Thanks
    They last one I did, I used a 16 lb sledge hammer and broke it in to small chunks....screw taking it out in one shot..now, if you're putting a C.I back, may the gods be with ya...
    sigpic

Comment

Yep....breaks like glass....be sure to wear safety glassesand keep everyone else out of the bathroom during demo.

Comment

Place a blanket over the tub to keep the small broken bits from flying around the room when you break it apart.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I've taken a few out and a sledge hammer takes care of it pretty quick. Break it down to small manageable pieces. Be carefull with flying shrapnel from the glazing and wear safety glasses. It can cut like glass. I drop a wet towel over the area I'm hitting to keep the shrapnel from flying all over the place.

Comment

If it's on the second floor you can flip it over and ride it down the stairs.
            sigpic

Comment

if you wanted to save it intact, i think i remember a drawing in a old plumbing book where the plumbers were installing it by bringing it up to the 2nd floor bathroom with a little crane anchored to the window frame.

i suppose this would be the easiest and least damaging way. i don't know how much of a market there is for those old ones.

if you have to remove it but can't use a sledge hammer to break it, one of those bi-metal blades for the reciprocating saw will work too.

Vince

Comment

You could use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a diamond blade and cut it into 4 pieces, and then carry it out. Just remember to wear all the PPE.

Comment

Put down the sledge hammer and grinder

A digging bar is by far the safest and easiest way to break up a cast iron tub

Gotta know where to hit it. She'll break right apart into 4 easily handled sections

Comment

I've pulled a number of them in one piece. You have to have enough room to slide the tub away from the back wall until the apron will clear any 2x4s in the wall, then usually lift the back end of it, away from the drain, until it's standing on end. Then you can walk it or use a dolly, depending on the floor. On plain plywood, you can walk it - on a vinyl or tile floor, you'd better protect it first.

If the toilet's in the way, remove it.

You need at least 4' up the wall you lift from clear of wallboard.

Of course, it's easier if you have the wallboard on the opposite side of the wall removed too . . . you can stick a 2x4 under it to lift with.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                      Yep....breaks like glass....be sure to wear safety glassesand keep everyone else out of the bathroom during demo.
                      Hearing protection too - makes a ton of noise.

Comment

Thanks guys got it with the 16 lb sledge hammer. And the wet blanket over it worked like a charm. Man I love this forum im addictied already!

Comment

Thanks guys got it with the 16 lb sledge hammer. And the wet blanket over it worked like a charm. Man I love this forum im addictied already!
                          I swear these guys have helped me do my job better, and make more money. I only hope that I have helped others too. That is why I am going to the roundup this year. It will be awesome to meet up with some of the best tradesman in the country.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thats something I would love to do and I will one year, but I just opened up so I can't take a weekend off just yet.

Comment

Thats something I would love to do and I will one year, but I just opened up so I can't take a weekend off just yet.
                              you don't have to.

it's held during the week.

the weekend was for the amusment park

it's the 5 days off that was spendy, but worth it

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X