X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self limiting heat trace

i'm starting to see alot of posts about frozen pipes.

this is what we use up here.

easy to install and no thermostat.

just make sure the heat trace is taped the full length of the pipe and insulate (foil tape works best).

http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-...Categories.bok

Vince

Re: self limiting heat trace

Thanks Vince. I thought of you the other day when I was looking through a Rectorseal catalog.

They have some "low temperature" products. (Pipe dope, flux, glue) Don't know if you can get your hands on them up in the Big White.

Anyway. http://www.rectorseal.com

Sorry for the immediate thread drift.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Looks a lot like Frost-tex. good stuff. Doesn't start fires.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Thanks Vince. I thought of you the other day when I was looking through a Rectorseal catalog.

They have some "low temperature" products. (Pipe dope, flux, glue) Don't know if you can get your hands on them up in the Big White.

Anyway. http://www.rectorseal.com

Sorry for the immediate thread drift.

J.C.
        thanks for the address JC.

i'm always on the look out for cool products.

this internet thing sure saves alot of phone calls and money.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Looks a lot like Frost-tex. good stuff. Doesn't start fires.
          i'm thankful someone invented it.

i have seen heat trace in the stores for water pipees. my peeve about the packaging is the lack of a huge warning.

i wonder how many fires have been attributed to using the wrong heat trace for the application?

Vince

Comment

Love the new avatar pic Vince. Rock on.
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I use Frost-tex, good stuff.
              bought 50' 2 yrs ago at $1.19 a foot.
              Got 12' yesterday at $3.19 a foot

Browsing through Mardens(discount/fire sale store) one day and found 15 plugs waiting to be priced. Asked how much and guy says "I'll look it up".
              Comes back with $3.50. I got the other 14 and left.

Vince,
              You use any 'inline heat trace'?
              Good product but VERY pricey. Comes from a company out of Americas hat...oops..I mean Canada
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                Good product but VERY pricey. Comes from a company out of Americas hat...oops..I mean Canada

You're saucy like Frank's Red Hot Sauce Gene Bickford...
                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  I use Frost-tex, good stuff.
                  bought 50' 2 yrs ago at $1.19 a foot.
                  Got 12' yesterday at $3.19 a foot

Browsing through Mardens(discount/fire sale store) one day and found 15 plugs waiting to be priced. Asked how much and guy says "I'll look it up".
                  Comes back with $3.50. I got the other 14 and left.

Vince,
                  You use any 'inline heat trace'?
                  i'm not sure what that is.

any links Gene?

Vince

Comment

Self-regulating heating cables is the best fix for frozen pipes. Please visit the website of Heat Trace Products, LLC. We manufacture and ship millions of feet for freeze protection applications each year world wide.http://www.rscc-heattrace.com

Comment

here's a link
                      http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...IR_en%26sa%3DN
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Have any of you guy's checked with your insurance Co to see if they will cover you installing heat tape.

I don't like to install it just because if the pipe ends up freezing again because they didn't plug it in or a mouse chewed it, the first one they are going to call for a freebie is me. So I charge a huge fee with NO warranty to discourage them from having me install it.

I was talking to a Plumber friend today and he says his insurance Co won't cover him installing heat tape. The insurance co says it needs to be installed by an Electrician.

I'll be calling my insurance co in the A.M. to confirm this.

You guys may want to do the same just in case.

Comment

Spoke to my ins co today. They said my policy doesn't say I can't use heat tape so I "should" be o.k..

So if a house burns down from heat tape I installed I "should" expect to be covered right????

They say my policy doesn't specifically address the use of heat tape.
                          I was busy when she called back so I didn't think to ask her, but does anyone know how I go about having my policy rewritten(for lack of better words) so it does specifically address the use of heat tape??
                          Or is it such a PIA that I shouldn't even bother. Just quit installing something I don't care to anyway.

Comment

Quit installing. Even if it's written in your policy you may not be covered.

Today's times. Get it.

J.C.

Comment

Or you could try this link. www.rscc-heattrace.com

Comment

Working...
                              X