Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe noise

Hi,
    So I had the shut-off valve for the downstairs toilet replaced and now when I flush the toilet -- after it is done refilling the tank the water shuts off kind of abruptly. In addition, there is a slight noise behind the wall (I'm guessing the pipes) afterwards. Like a slight knock, which goes for like 30 secs and then stops.

I noticed this knock-ish sound upstairs too after we use the shower/bathtub. It's not that loud at all and I only noticed because it was so quiet in the house. It stops after a few minutes but I wonder what causes this for both bathrooms? Is it related? Is it just the water pressure?

The house is only 8.5 years old so I hope it's not major. Thanks.

Re: Pipe noise

Could be what's commonly referred to as water hammer. It's also possible that there is some piping that was not strapped properly and the toilet shutting off abruptly is sending a shock rebound throughout the system. First things first, have someone check your water pressure.

Comment

Hi thanks,
      I tried posting 2 times -- here I go again. I did some preliminary research and I think the noise behind the shower wall are the pipes contracting/expanding afer we take showers. I put my ear against the wall and I can hear the slight popping noise, like a drip or knock. It goes away after a while and I guess it's the pipes rubbing against the wood holding it (not securely enough). I would put secure the pipes or what not, but we don't have access to these pipes w/o knocking down the wall. Should I let it go? There is no visible water damage anywhere.

As for the downstairs toilet, I think I should replace the fill valve so it won't shut off so abruptly. I hope this works. My handyman has been working a lot for me lately!

Comment

It is water hammer..
        Its not to hard to get rid of,The easiest thing to do would be to put a tee on top of the water heater, hot or cold side , and put a 12" pipe with a cap on one end ,and screw it into the tee
        To make a air shock

Comment

If you never had noise before the toilet valve was replaced, then perhaps the new toilet valve is just an off-brand that vibrates as it closes. I usually use Korky fill valves and doubt they'd have that problem.

Comment

chances are the fillvalve/ ballcock is a fluidmaster or similar style with a diaphragm. these shutoff immediately and not slow.

you could try turning down the angle stop a little to lower the volume. all else fails go back to a standard ballcock with float ball.

yes it's water hammer and there is a loose pipe. you can go after the loose pipe or try masking it by working over the ballcocks.

out of curiosity what brand of ballcock is installed?

fluidmaster, hunter, korky, american standard smart valve these all work on the diaphragm principal to shut.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Hi,

1. I'm at work but I vaguely remember replacing the fillvalve with a fluidmaster of some sort around 2 years ago. We just replaced the shut-off valve under the toilet with a metal one last weekend, instead of the plastic thing that originally came with the house. I can try to adjust the fillvalve to see if that works. It didn't make the sound before but it was LOUD when refilling before we changed the shut-off valve.

The funny thing is the upstairs fillvalve is fluid master but it is not loud and I don't hear the noise after we flush that toilet. We only hear a slight knocking noise after we use the sink or tub.

2. The upstairs noise probably water hammer so should I get something installed on our water heater to stop the annoying popping, knocking noise? Do you think it could be the shower head or anything like that?

Thanks.

Comment

So sorry - I misread your post or was influenced by later answers. If it was after the shutoff valve was installed, then chances are there's something wrong with that. A loose washer or loose threads in the stem will cause vibration in the pipe. This used to be a much more common problem with brass stems used decades ago because the threads would wear and allow the stem to vibrate.

Comment

New valve ,,that is a clue
                  Your old plastic valve was probably restricted,
                  And caused the loud sound when the tank filled
                  The new valve with the full flow is quiet untill it stops
                  more water flow and when it stops it bangs
                  like Rick said slow it down or put in a good old ball cock

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think you are all right about the toilet valve -- I'm going to install a new valve this weekend and see if that stops it.

We're going to try and install an air shock of some sort around the water heater, like you suggested. This should hopefully stop the (slight) noise upstairs.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Comment

By new valve, I meant the filler valve or a ballcock.

Comment

Just one more question: Would the shower head have anything to do with this noise? We replaced the regular shower head with one that detaches (hand-held), didn't cost too much. At first, it moaned after taking a shower and then would release a fair amount of water. Now, it no longer moans for some reason, and it does not release that much water after you take a shower. I know it's supposed to and it does a little, but I wonder if there is any connection. Thanks.

Comment

That would not be part of the water hammer prob..
                          It is the vacuum breaker on the hand held shower...
                          dont worry about it

Comment

Possibly the fill valve. Try fluidmaster whisper fill valve. Hope this helps.

Comment

I just replaced the fill valve with a Fluidmaster Whisper Valve. It totally worked and solved the problem for downstairs. I'll keep you posted on whatever develops with the upstairs bathroom (although I haven't been hearing the noise in the past two days). Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X