Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pipe noise

Hi everyone,
    So I still hear the water hammer sometimes after we flush the downstairs toilet. I also hear it off and on in the upstairs bathroom. Now, I don't know how long it's been going on for, since I only started noticing the noise in the last 2 weeks. My repairman and I are discussing the installation of a water hammer arrestor or something to reduce the water pressure. I was reading online that you can "drain your system" by turning off the main water, opening all the faucets, and then turning the water back on. Would that work?

Comment

No.

Comment

Okay in that case, how long can I wait to fix this?

Comment

You could try adding straps to the loose water lines assuming they're accessible from under a raised house or in the attic.

I've solved this problem a few times just by opening the angle stop all the way. Sometimes partially opened valves cause the loose pipes to vibrate. I would experiment with it trying with the valve fully opened and partially opened.

Or you can just install a water hammer arrester between the angle stop and the commode which usually works.

Comment

Hi,
            I could try to ask my handyman to secure the pipes since I can see part of them in the unfinished room next to the bathroom. Otherwise, we don't have much pipe left by the angle stop (which is open all the way) to install a water arrestor. Someone else suggested installing a water arrestor by the water supply line or water heater instead. Which would be better? The pipes make a tap tap tap noise when you flush and only stops after the bowl has refilled and shut-off.

My brother tells me the noise in the upstairs bathroom has been going on forever. It's not loud but you do notice it sometimes. I've only just noticed it! So maybe installing something on the main water line would be a better idea.

One random question -- after we fixed the upstairs toilet with a new whisper valve and shut-off valve, we've been noticing the flush is more powerful and you can hear the water whooshing down the waste pipe downstairs. I'm guessing this is normal and okay?
            Thanks.

Comment

You Could add a "mini rester" Somewhere ... :-)
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                chances are the fillvalve/ ballcock is a fluidmaster or similar style with a diaphragm. these shutoff immediately and not slow.

you could try turning down the angle stop a little to lower the volume. all else fails go back to a standard ballcock with float ball.

yes it's water hammer and there is a loose pipe. you can go after the loose pipe or try masking it by working over the ballcocks.

out of curiosity what brand of ballcock is installed?

fluidmaster, hunter, korky, american standard smart valve these all work on the diaphragm principal to shut.

rick.
                Hi Rick

Can you explain how the diaphram principle works.
                I have been sort of explained that there is a high pressure side and a low pressure side on the diaphram but that is all that I know.

Thanks

Simon

Comment

Hi everyone,
                  This morning I heard the loudest sound so far from my pipes and I'm having a hard time scheduling a time for my handyman to come out.

1. Would our pressure regulator have anything to do with these noises? We have one on our main water line that is supposed to keep the pressure at 50psi. I'm thinking of testing the water pressure to make sure it is actually 50psi and not higher than it should be.

2. I have the downstairs bathroom figured out. Basically the pipes make a tapping noise when the toilet is in use.

3. The upstairs bathroom -- noises after you use the sink or tub. The toilet does not seem to be a problem, especially since both the shut-off valve and fill valve were recently replaced. Noises range from tapping to this morning's loud clunk.

So my idea is to 1) test the water pressure 2) install water arrestor on the downstair toilet 3) not sure what to do upstairs -- should I install an arrestor on cold/hot water lines for tub and sink???

Comment

Update:
                    Not enough room on our pvc pipes to install the water hammer arrestors, unfortunately.

Static water pressure (on outside hose) was 60psi. Reduced a little by turning the screw on the pressure regulator (Watts N35B, 8.5 years old) but it wouldn't go below 57-58 psi. The pressure remained steady at the same psi after toilet flushed or faucet turned on (at ground level). Water heater has a temperature relief valve. So I guess the water pressure isn't really the problem if 57-60 psi is normal for a townhouse?

I guess will have to live with the noise, which isn't really loud if you're not paying attention anyway. Ugh!

Comment

You can put the W.H.A. any were in the house...
                      Do you have room under your kit sink ? the water will never know...
                      I would put it on the cold side..

Comment

Thanks -- we did install a WHA at the washer (cold side). I'm not sure how much it is helping.

Checked the water pressure again today. Can someone tell me if a spike of 100psi is good or bad? I checked at the front hose, instead of the back, and the little red needle went to 100psi. The static water pressure is around 60psi give or take 1 or 2 psi.

Comment

100 psi is bad, you need a pressure reducing valve
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

It was only the spike needle, not the static pressure. We have a pressure regulator -- Watts N35B, about 8 years old at this point. Should we have it replaced?

Comment

Oh one more thing, the pressure regulator said the range was 25-75, standard of 50. Is it malfunctioning? We tried to reduce the pressure but it wouldn't go below about 57 psi.

Comment

well, the spike is coming from somewhere, so it's either thermal expansion from the water heater, or spikes from the municipal main. if it's thermal expansion, you need to install/replace a thermal expansion tank. If it's spikes coming from the municipal main, its time to replace the pressure reducing valves.
                                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                                X