Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper Type K, L and M difference question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Copper Type K, L and M difference question.

ACR is cleaned and sealed pipe. comes is coils for AC I think, and I use hard type L ,K for Med Gas use.
    Most places use type L ACR but lvl 1 hospitals use ACR type K only.

Med Gas as in Oxygen, Nitrous Oxide,Med Air , ECT

Comment

I believe that the Copper Tube Handbook lists specs for Type A (heaviest) to Type N (thinnest). I'm on the road, so I don't have mine with me to look for sure.

TMc

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
        Also, not sure about the USA but in Canada "M" pipe has information printed with RED ink, "L" pipe uses BLUE ink, and "K" pipe uses GREEN ink, so you can spot it a mile away, especially on new pipe.
        It's the same color code as USA.
        The Plumber/Firefighter

Comment

I have another plumber that is trying to tell me the plumbing copper fittings differ from HVAC copper fittings as plumbing fittings are a "wet" hydrogen manufactured and HVAC fittings are "dry" hydrogen manufactured. In my 30 plus years as a working licensed plumber I have never heard this so I wanted to check around to see if this indeed a fact or not.
          Thanks all, Confused plumber in Afghanistan

Comment

Tell Him the wet ones are in the Nursery , at Home Depot
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Talk about digging up the dead.

I can't remember hearing those terms associated with copper pipe or tube.

There are some fittings used in HVAC that you won't see used in plumbing
              work much such as long radius wrot copper ells and also return bends.

And the same can be said for copper DWV piping.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Its very simple, just look at the pricing. K has the thickest walls, followed by L which is the standard for water piping. M has a much thinner wall making it perfect for low pressure hydroponic heating systems, especially since the thinner wall gives better heat transfer. K and L can be purchased in hard or soft, but typically K copper is used for underground water piping, the wall thickness adds an extra bit of insurance when back filling your pipe. DWV copper has a thin wall similar to M copper, its not designed for pressures over 10-15 psi. That is also why the socket depth of DWV fittings are about half that of pressure fittings.

Comment

Working...
                X